Hotel Receptionist Situation.

NoshowJones

On 2/8/2023 at 2:38 PM, proton said:

2k anywhere decent, in Bkk anyway

Depends on location. Tourist areas more expensive.

We have discovered a new hotel on Ngam Wong Wahn for only 800. Would be 1500 or more on Sukhumvit.

Not long opened, decent car park and garden, restaurant , nice furniture , netflix , soft beds etc. 

Wont last long at this rate now that tourism is picking up.

1 hour ago, 4MyEgo said:

I find your post to be a little unbelievable.

Did the receptionist talk to any staff, e.g. to go and check your room, if that is the case, perhaps the staff member was wearing a camera or was showing the room to reception via a mobile app ?

Hotels cannot have cameras in rooms, we all know that, but then again, I have never stayed at a posh hotel that holds 300 baht cash as a deposit.

Whatever an Thai employee have to do, even just cut gras, they take picture as a proof. So might be the case here as well.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 4MyEgo said:

Did the receptionist talk to any staff, e.g. to go and check your room, if that is the case, perhaps the staff member was wearing a camera or was showing the room to reception via a mobile app ?

Hotels cannot have cameras in rooms, we all know that, but then again, I have never stayed at a posh hotel that holds 300 baht cash as a deposit.

You can think it unbelievable if you want. I never mentioned anything about a camera in the room. I posted what I seen. I think Scubascuba3 got it right.

The receptionist never got anyone to check the room.

It only took about a minute from me handing over my keys to me walking out the door, it was as quick as that.

• Thanks 1

Some Smart TVs have built in cameras so that the monitor can also be used for video conferencing.  There have been incidents of Smart TVs being hacked into and videos posted online.

Now, as a precaution, whenever I check into a new hotel room, I do a quick google search for the features of the TV in the room to make sure there is no video recording capability.  You can easily find the camera position if you know what to look for and simply cover it with tape or whatever.

https://www.avast.com/c-smart-tv-spying-on-you

Many other resources on this topic online.

• Haha 1

On 2/10/2023 at 7:02 AM, 4MyEgo said:

Normally they also check the mini bar. Perhaps there was a camera in the fridge too? I don't believe. It is also very hard to see smaller damage on a video. 

• Like 1

On 2/8/2023 at 3:12 PM, NoshowJones said:

That would be exactly it, it is not often I get asked to leave a deposit, but there was a lot of kitchen equipment in the room.

Do they search your bag to see if you've nicked the microwave?

Edited by roo860