DLT/Pattaya police crack down on Bolt drivers in Pattaya - 20 fined 2,000 baht - reoffenders face ban

webfact

dFQROr7oWzulq5Fa5B203RJKsWyFqk7B987WjzmIFADKB3eiO6HObJGrH6gy1bbCYZO.jpg

Picture: Thai Rath

Thai Rath reported from Beach Road in the eastern seaboard resort of Pattaya where there was a crackdown on illegal Bolt drivers.

The media made much of the fact that the local police, who joined with Chonburi DLT staff, were wearing chest and helmet "bodycams" to show transparency and rule out corruption.

A checkpoint was mounted outside Central Pattaya Beach a popular collection and dropping off point for Bolt drivers delivering Thai and foreign tourists.

Dtbezn3nNUxytg04aiONhusNhnFfolyGi7NZqOY1a8dRqC.jpg

The media said that there were 700 Bolt drivers operating in Pattaya.

About twenty were fined the 2,000 baht maximum for "using the wrong kind of vehicle".

Dtbezn3nNUxytg04aiONhusNhnFfolyGVqkpXxPir9M6OO.jpg

Drivers were told that if they repeated the offence they would be banned for 90 days and if they did it a third time their driving licence would be withdrawn entirely.

There would be no exceptions.

Regarding the "bodycams" Thai Rath said this was RTP policy to ensure there was no corruption.

Dtbezn3nNUxytg04aiONhusNhnFfolyGiT3os1FW5U7bQf.jpg

The footage lasts for 20 days and has to be submitted to the traffic control center for analysis.

Further crackdowns against Bolt drivers breaking the rules were expected.

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2023-02-09

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, webfact said:

The media made much of the fact that the local police, who joined with Chonburi DLT staff, were wearing chest and helmet "bodycams" to show transparency and rule out corruption.

As transparent as the colour of the uniform.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Drivers were told that if they repeated the offence they would be banned for 90 days and if they did it a third time their driving licence would be withdrawn entirely

Ban them from the start and send out a real message.

6 hours ago, HanSRT10 said:

There would be no market or need for Bolt and Grab if regular taxis would play by the rules and use the meter. 

Imagine taking a taxi on the meter from say the Darkside down to Chonburi Immigration, at certain times it would cost a fortune once you got there. Would you not be better with a fixed price rather than on the meter?

I was in a car with someone, and at one stage the traffic lights just stayed at red for so long that the cars just went through the lights or we would have been there all day.

12 hours ago, webfact said:

About twenty were fined the 2,000 baht maximum for "using the wrong kind of vehicle".

Doesn't the BOLT company decide what vehicles their drivers must have, in order to be able to work off their platform? 

49 minutes ago, freedomnow said:

See how long squeaky clean BiB habits last at checkpoints...will soon revert to the old ways once tourist shakedown is far enough in rear mirror.

Dog and pony time.

This one could end up in the international media if local police are going against national laws that allow the app and the drivers / riders to operate. 

So what constitutes an illegal vehicle? I just used Bolt the other day to and from town and no problems... although one vehicle was a Hilux without rear seats and the driver a bit fast and reckless... I would rather have been in the rear if it had one!

Bolt is so cheap and convenient I would hate to lose it.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Leaver said:

This one could end up in the international media if local police are going against national laws that allow the app and the drivers / riders to operate. 

Not legal yet. Grab is but Bolt still has some issues with the DLT and the Government.

While Thailand legalized ride-hailing apps a year ago, the Bolt application isn't one of those and Pattaya-area authorities came down hard on their drivers Friday.Nov 30, 2565 BE

Edited by ThailandRyan

2 hours ago, jacko45k said:

So what constitutes an illegal vehicle? I just used Bolt the other day to and from town and no problems... although one vehicle was a Hilux without rear seats and the driver a bit fast and reckless... I would rather have been in the rear if it had one!

Bolt is so cheap and convenient I would hate to lose it.

It's the registration on the vehicle that makes it illegal as they do not pay for it to be used commercially but as a private vehicle.

16 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

It's the registration on the vehicle that makes it illegal as they do not pay for it to be used commercially but as a private vehicle.

Oh it's just a pal giving me a ride and I am compensating him for the fuel! ????

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, ThailandRyan said:

Uber fees are disgraceful, I've read silly numbers like 30%-50‰.

Allegedly Bolt don't charge the drivers a commission (another post on here) but I haven't checked out yet because I'm completely hopeless at speaking Thai ????

3 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

Uber fees are disgraceful, I've read silly numbers like 30%-50‰.

I was having a coversation in a bank one day in Indonesia. One guy was Grab the other guy was Go-Jek. 

The Go-Jek guy said they took 20%, the Grab guy said 30%.

19 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

I was having a coversation in a bank one day in Indonesia. One guy was Grab the other guy was Go-Jek. 

The Go-Jek guy said they took 20%, the Grab guy said 30%.

Riding around Jakarta on the back of a gojek is one of life's great thrills. Especially out in Bekasi at peak hour, makes Bangkok look like a kindergarten ????

• Like 1