Immigration. No more Residence Certificates.

Update to my original post.

Just left Transport Office. Was told they can only issue Residence Certificate to Pink Card holders with Yellow Book.

I need to go to the Tessaban.

Don’t know what those who wish to open a bank account will need to do.

1 hour ago, stubuzz said:

The transport office issues residence certificates?

I needed one to change the name on my motorbike. To do that a Residebce Certificate has always been needed

Today I was told by Immigration that they will no longer issue them. Told me to go to Transport Office.

Transport Office told me they can only issue to someone with a Pink Card and Yellow Book, and to go to the Tessaban.

Tessaban told me they cannot do it unless I have a Yellow book.

I only have a copy of the Blue Book for our building. My name  is not in it.

Taken me all afternoon to basically get nowhere.

A friend got one at Immigration to open a bank account about three weeks ago. It seems they have since stopped.

Maybe they have been overwhelmed by all the new long stayers buying cars, motorbikes and opening bank accounts, and decided it is too much hassle.

Or maybe all this "grey Chinese" stuff in the news is causing too much heat. Who knows?

But buying or selling a car or motorbike, or opening a bank account for retirement Non 'O' just seems to have got a whole lot more difficult.

Can anyone advise the drawbacks of having a Yellow Book and Pink Card?

I recall there are a few. Including Your driving licences will  in future all be in Thai language.

Edited by phetphet

1 hour ago, phetphet said:

I needed one to change the name on my motorbike. To do that a Residebce Certificate has always been needed

I changed the name on a m/b book last week by using copies of the passport and the work permit.

Edited by Tropicalevo
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, phetphet said:

Its always been THB500 for as long as I can remember.

My GF reckons I should contact the main office in Surat Thani and ask them where to get one if Samui Imm no longer do them. ????

It's a free service, there is no official charge. I refused to pay and they still gave me one

• Love It 1

An agent can get you one for e a fee, if you are desperate.

And if you mean you want to sell your motorbike and change the name, the buyer can do that, you don't need to be involved in the process other than to sign the form.

Edited by nigelforbes
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, nigelforbes said:

And if you mean you want to sell your motorbike and change the name, the buyer can do that, you don't need to be involved in the process other than to sign the form.

seller needs a residence certificate also

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

24 minutes ago, nigelforbes said:

For buying and selling motor cycles, an agent can do it without ever stepping foots in any office. They did for me. For opening a bank account, agents re there to help you. 

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Xanthe said:

For buying and selling motor cycles, an agent can do it without ever stepping foots in any office. They did for me. For opening a bank account, agents re there to help you. 

You haven't been living on Koh Samui then...:whistling:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, steelerian said:

Residence certs have been free in Samui for the last 3 or 4 months. Prior to that there was a 500 baht charge.

The last time I got one was about 2 weeks ago, free of charge.

A friend got one about three weeks ago to open a bank account.

If they are now free, then maybe that's why they have stopped issuing them.

I will go back in a couple of weeks and tell them I need one to open a bank account and see what they say. They at least can't tell me to go to the Transport Office. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, phetphet said:

If they are now free, then maybe that's why they have stopped issuing them.

I have always been charged 500 baht for a residence certificate, I have never heard anybody saying it's free on Samui...????

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, gearbox said:

My DL was renewed with the yellow book but still has my name in English.

Be happy for that, then your Thai driver's license in accepted in some countries abroad...:thumbsup:

1 hour ago, gearbox said:

I think I've done 3 trips to Nathan and paid 1K baht for translation of my passport in Thai. If you can't read or write Thai you'll need a Thai person to help you with the forms. You also need a "witness" to say they know you for a while.

You managed to do it much easier than I did for my Yellow House Book on Samui – it was like applyring for permanent residency, except I didn't need the language test and sing the national hymn (the staff at the tessa ban-office shall be happy that I didn't sing)...:whistling:

• Like 1
  • Love It 1