Thailand Ranks 10th in Asia Power Index

webfact

image.jpeg

by Paul Rujopakarn

BANGKOK (NNT) - Prime Minister Gen Prayut Chan-o-cha has expressed his satisfaction that Thailand ranks 10th in this year’s Asia Power Index.

Government Spokesperson Anucha Burapachaisri said the prime minister was pleased to see Thailand’s ranking in the 2023 Asia Power Index report published by Lowy Institute, a research institution for inter-country policy in Australia.

According to the Index, Thailand ranks 10th among the 26 nations and economic zones in Asia with a total score of 18.7 points. The other nine countries are the United States, China, Japan, India, Russia, Australia, South Korea, Singapore and Indonesia.

The Asia Power Index, launched by the Lowy Institute in 2018, measures resources and influence to rank the relative power of states in Asia. The index maps out the existing distribution of power as it stands today, and tracks shifts in the balance of power over time.

The rankings are based on the calculation of scores from eight main indicators. These include (1) economic capability, (2) military capability, (3) resilience, (4) future resources, (5) diplomatic influence, (6) defense networks, (7) military modernization and (8) cyber capability.

The spokesperson said Gen Prayut expressed his appreciation for the ranking, which demonstrated Thailand’s growing confidence on the world stage as a result of various government policies combined with the efforts of all relevant agencies.

The premier also thanked related departments for achieving this milestone and expressed confidence in Thailand’s potential to address environmental issues, increase competitiveness and achieve a balanced approach.

Source: https://thainews.prd.go.th/en/news/detail/TCATG230214110036840

nnt.jpg
-- © Copyright NNT 2023-02-14

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

• Sad 1

36 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

I was totally unaware the US was in Asia. I must brush up on my geography. 

Yeah, that surprised me as well, but the index seems to be focused on power and not geography.

The US is not a South American country either, but they have overthrown governments there and installed the dictators that were most favorable to their economic interests. So I guess few would debate that the US is among the most important South American powers.

Considering the extensive permanent military presence of the US in Asia, the index doesn't seem to be fully off, I suppose.

Edited by pentagara
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Hawaii & Guam, American Samoa, Marianas.  Not exactly Asia, but Oceana.  Then again Australia and New Zealand are also considered to be part of Oceana as well.

40 minutes ago, pentagara said:

Yeah, that surprised me as well, but the index seems to be focused on power and not geography.

The US is not a South American country either, but they have overthrown governments there and installed the dictators that were most favorable to their economic interests. So I guess few would debate that the US is among the most important South American powers.

Considering the extensive permanent military presence of the US in Asia, the index doesn't seem to be fully off, I suppose.

Article states "in Asia".  

1 hour ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Thailand seems to have gained solely in regards to diplomatic influence, and military partnerships.

Not a bad ranking considering Thailand spends only 1.32% GDP (2021) for military spending ranked 89th compared to (www.theglobaleconomy.com)

• Indonesia 0.70%  (125th)
  • Australia   1.98% (48th)
  • Malaysia   1.06% (107th)
  • China         1.74% (60th)
  • Philippines 1.04% (108th)
  • USA            3.48% (15th)

No. 1 at 7.34% is Oman.

But somehow Thailand can't end the Southern Muslim insurgency.

1 hour ago, youngster30uk said:

Nearly all of its scores have gone down, apart from Diplomatic influence. Mainly caused by Russia dropping so much and other nations climbing as a result. Am I misinterpreting this?

Of course you are.

Scores going down are irrelevant if others go down further.

Thailand is a middle ranking country in the index despite the fact this forum prefers to think otherwise.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

This is a <deleted> poll with <deleted> theories.  First I agree last I heard, the United States was part of North America. Australia, New Zealand, and PNG  were part of Oceania.

If we are looking at influence in Asia then you would have to include the EU, Canada Britain and Iran and Saudi Arabia.

It can also be said that Singapore should no longer have a separate ranking as it is part of China.

There is a total lack of western Asian Countries like Iran Afghanistan, Saudi Arabia, Turkey and UAE just to name a few.

https://www.worldometers.info/geography/how-many-countries-in-asia/

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, pentagara said:

Agreed. The US naval presence alone makes it a big power in the region.

5 hours ago, kingstonkid said:

Aw but there ios your mistake-wise one.  Thailand could spend 100% of its GDP on the military and still not be ale to blow it's nose let alone solve the southern problem. 

The issue with the Thai military is in training and efficiency of command.  Remember the same people tat are running the RTP and the government are the ones that were are leading the military.

Not exactly an experienced group of men. The temple dispute with Cambodia did not exactly give them "field experience". So, that makes them a theoretical army. We saw how poorly they failed when they attempted to "seal the border" during covid. A simple task. 

• Thumbs Up 1

31 minutes ago, Fab5BKK said:

"It can also be said that Singapore should no longer have a separate ranking as it is part of China."

Are you that sure?

Hong Kong, Macau: OK.

But how Singapore can be part of China?

I was going to ask that but he seemed like he was enjoying himself. I thought  it best to just let him rant, it's good that you did though, otherwise, false fact contagion takes off pretty quickly on this forum. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/14/2023 at 2:51 PM, sandyf said:

Of course you are.

Scores going down are irrelevant if others go down further.

Thailand is a middle ranking country in the index despite the fact this forum prefers to think otherwise.

If 1 Country loses diplomatic power in a region, it causes a void which will get filled by others. It is far from irrelevant

On 2/14/2023 at 4:59 PM, kingstonkid said:

Aw but there ios your mistake-wise one.  Thailand could spend 100% of its GDP on the military and still not be ale to blow it's nose let alone solve the southern problem. 

The issue with the Thai military is in training and efficiency of command.  Remember the same people tat are running the RTP and the government are the ones that were are leading the military.

Efficiency and amount of corruption in the military is not one of the score factors in the ranking. So no mistake, just relaying published rankings.

As can be seen with Russia's ranking compared to its current war with Ukraine, Ukraine's smaller military appears to be (with exception of nuclear weapons) far superior to Russia.

18 hours ago, nigelforbes said:

I was going to ask that but he seemed like he was enjoying himself. I thought  it best to just let him rant, it's good that you did though, otherwise, false fact contagion takes off pretty quickly on this forum. 

My bad got Hong Kong confused

• Thumbs Up 1