Cabinet approves tourist fee of 150-300 baht for all foreign tourists

snoop1130

25 minutes ago, mikeymike100 said:

Only between 12.00pm(lunchtime) and 2.00pm, then after 5.00pm?

One thing I used to do was buy a vodka bottle and a large coke bottle. Drink half the coke, or pour it away if you feel queezy, add the vodka and carry it around with you, no one is any the wiser, unless you pass out or fall over.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, n8sail said:

I give two excrements about 300 baht like most people.   However, I can see one potential upside for those of us that live and work here:  If in fact this gets collected at the airport, which I can see no other way for them to do this logistically-speaking given the plan they've proposed, the only way to do so will be to have separate lines at Immigration for those that have work permits on-hand.   This could be a boon for us that do have one as we'll sail on through since probably well less than 10% of people traveling into this place have a work permit.

Yeah yeah, hopes and dreams.    But I'm allowed them!  ????

Can be a ticket you buy, and hand over to emigration at arrival, or when you leave. Not complicated at all

Edited by Hummin
  • Confused 1

14 hours ago, mancub said:

However, this fee is not applicable to Thai nationals, so how will ticket sales/prices be administered ?

It can't be added in the ticket as when buying a ticket, which I did last week, they don't ask your nationality.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hummin said:

Can be a ticket you buy, and hand over to emigration at arrival, or when you leave. Not complicated at all

Right back to what I'm suggesting...   Where do you queue up to buy the ticket?   How long will that take?

Those with work permit in hand exit the aircraft and beat the hording mob to the actual Immigration counters, bypassing whatever new counter is selling these tickets.

But I'm hoping for full-on separate actual Immigration counters, that would be the most positive outcome for tax-paying, long-staying, legitimate expats who typically get eff-all for all their efforts here other than their salaries and nice weather.

Edited by n8sail
  • Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

One thing I used to do was buy a vodka bottle and a large coke bottle. Drink half the coke, or pour it away if you feel queezy, add the vodka and carry it around with you, no one is any the wiser, unless you pass out or fall over.  

Yes its good for drinking on the beach also, where alcohol is spposedly banned?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Hummin said:

But where do you buy the ticket? Would it be after you left the aircraft in Thailand, I can see problems with people having no cash, those with foreign cash, those with credit cards etc?

Or do you purchase at check in? Same problems there?

4 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Believe that when I see it... I bet tourists will still get the huge hospital bill if in an accident.

Here, here, "hot-chilli" I am in total agreement with you, and whatever happens do not become sick with an incurable disease. I contracted Parkinson's disease which is incurable and it is costing me almost 8,000 baht per month for medication. Each hospital appointment is a 1000 baht fee, for a four minute appointment. Incidentally, medication does not stop the symptoms, it only helps to control it. Eventually, I shall die with the disease because it cannot kill a person, it merely makes your life a living hell.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Brianbrizzycrease said:

Here, here, "hot-chilli" I am in total agreement with you, and whatever happens do not become sick with an incurable disease. I contracted Parkinson's disease which is incurable and it is costing me almost 8,000 baht per month for medication. Each hospital appointment is a 1000 baht fee, for a four minute appointment. Incidentally, medication does not stop the symptoms, it only helps to control it. Eventually, I shall die with the disease because it cannot kill a person, it merely makes your life a living hell.  

You could go to a public hospital.

Edited by Neeranam

1 minute ago, cnx101 said:

They haven’t thought of that yet

Don't fret on that score my friend! The Thais will come up with a system that takes money from everyone, you should know by now, they are the biggest rogues around! You only have to look at the police force corruption starts at the very top, then slowly filters down!

• Thumbs Up 1

They are desperate to get this in place before the dissolution of the government ahead of elections.

The collection, adminstration,a ccounting and transparent reporting, and even the use of, these funds still remains a mystery.

The only known is how much will be embezzled. I'd say close to 30%, some in skim, some in kick-backs.

I see they're now calling this a "landing fee" so it sounds like they plan to collect it on arrival, presumable before arriving Immigration.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

You could go to a public hospital.

Thank you, Neeranam at present I go to Thammasat Hospital, which I believe is a government hospital. Personally, I don't give a dam any longer, my friend. I am 75 years old and I've had a good life ???? my only concern is that I have a wonderful wife, who will be left on her own when I eventually die.

• Love It 1

Few exemptions for Thailand’s new arrival tax, starts June 1
By Peter Roche

image.jpeg

The Thai Cabinet has given the green light to the proposal from the National Tourism Policy Committee to impose a “landing tax” on all foreign tourists visiting Thailand. Well, just about ALL foreigners.

The tax – also referred to as the tourism tax or arrival tax – will come into effect from June 1st, as tentatively proposed. It will range from 150 to 300 baht and will be levied on tourists upon their arrival. The new tax has been proposed since Thailand re-opened its borders to tourism early last year but was postponed as it was thought to be ‘bad timing’ as Thailand was trying to reboot its tourism industry.

The landing tax for foreign tourists arriving by land and sea will be 150 baht per person, while arrivals by air will be charged 300 baht. It is important to note that this tax will not be applicable to individuals who hold diplomatic passports, valid work permits, or special work permits for specific professions as stipulated by the Labour Ministry. Children under the age of two and transit passengers will also be exempt from paying the tax.

There is still a 700 baht departure tax which has been in force since 2007 and applied to the departing airfare.

The Tourism and Sports Minister says the money earned would be used to buy insurance for foreigners and leftover added to the tourism development fund. The fund will support the building of entrances for the disabled and toilets at tourist attractions.

The Cabinet has also directed the Immigration Bureau to streamline its regulations and conditions regarding immigration documents and relevant immigration laws. Furthermore, tourists can use receipts for tourism fee payments when applying for re-entry permits.

Tourism and Sports Minister, Pipat Ratchakitprakarn, clarified that the funds collected through this landing tax will be utilized for domestic tourism development and for providing insurance coverage for tourists during their stay in Thailand.

Source: https://phuket-go.com/phuket-news/national-news/few-exemptions-for-thailands-new-arrival-tax-starts-june-1/

Phuket Go

-- © Copyright Phuket GO 2023-02-15

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, n8sail said:

Right back to what I'm suggesting...   Where do you queue up to buy the ticket?   How long will that take?

Those with work permit in hand exit the plan and beat the hording mob to the actual Immigration counter, bypassing whatever new counter is selling these tickets.

The stream of passengers will not change much at the emigration counters do to multiple landings. Most likely it is going to be an app as well.

31 minutes ago, mikeymike100 said:

But where do you buy the ticket? Would it be after you left the aircraft in Thailand, I can see problems with people having no cash, those with foreign cash, those with credit cards etc?

Or do you purchase at check in? Same problems there?

Ticket machine with card, or buy in app/website

Edited by Hummin

6 minutes ago, kotsak said:

Yes, sod anyone who stays here because they have a family (which they support) or being retired (and spending their pensions here).. 

Kotsak, 

6 minutes ago, kotsak said:

Yes, sod anyone who stays here because they have a family (which they support) or being retired (and spending their pensions here).. 

Kotsak, I sincerely hope that you are not being serious!

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

57 minutes ago, Hummin said:

Yes, this seems like what will happen. Use an app. prepay via credit card, get issued a QR code, which gets scanned by arriving Imm. officer.

• Haha 1