‘2 meth pills = jail’: Thailand’s new anti-drugs push may ruin more lives than it saves

webfact

image.png

By Thai PBS World

Statistics show that hundreds of thousands of Thais risk going to jail if a draft ministerial regulation supporting Public Health Minister Anutin Charnvirakul’s so-called war on drugs is enacted.

The draft regulation, which classifies anybody caught with two or more methamphetamine pills as a drug trafficker, was completed on February 2. Anutin, who is also deputy prime minister, is keen to present it to Cabinet very soon.

“Illegal drugs are a big problem. We need to tackle it with strong laws,” the minister said.

Anutin’s stance, however, has raised concerns that the much-tougher regulation will likely push more drug users into Thailand’s already chronically overcrowded prisons and give rise to many more problems later.

Currently, people caught with up to 15 methamphetamine pills do not face legal action if they agree to enter a drug rehabilitation program. Such leniency is offered through a narcotics law that went into effect in late 2021.

Anutin, however, believes it is time this approach was changed.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/2-meth-pills-jail-thailands-new-anti-drugs-push-may-ruin-more-lives-than-it-saves/

Logo-top-.png

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2023-02-15

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

• Sad 2
  • Haha 1

I disagree.  NOT all drugs are good.  Meth is one that is evil in every way (OK, I'm slightly guessing and I'm not a Breaking Bad chemist, but it's a good guess).

so anyone with even one pill needs punishment.   jail is fine, build more jails.   

there must be some things in life where there is ZERO leeway.  Meth should be one.   Many other drugs, probably not zero.....but Meth, zero.

unless someone throws a pill in my bag, then I'll vote for 100 pills.   this might happen, just like those weird bullet(s) that end up luggage.  

• Confused 4
  • Sad 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, ChaiyaTH said:

Makes it very easy to setup people in a horrible way aside of the fact that a real junkie would always need 2 or more, unless dealers are always available and nearby.

Exactly. Anutin throwing a bone to the BIB to write their own checks for this BS law.

Where is the political will to go after the big producers and money launderers? ???? Oh, wait!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BananaStrong said:

I disagree.  NOT all drugs are good.  Meth is one that is evil in every way (OK, I'm slightly guessing and I'm not a Breaking Bad chemist, but it's a good guess).

so anyone with even one pill needs punishment.   jail is fine, build more jails.   

there must be some things in life where there is ZERO leeway.  Meth should be one.   Many other drugs, probably not zero.....but Meth, zero.

unless someone throws a pill in my bag, then I'll vote for 100 pills.   this might happen, just like those weird bullet(s) that end up luggage.  

What a sad view on life you have luckily I don't have to associate with people like you !!!!!

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

How can it be called a war on drugs when he keeps legalising them?

Wow some people are literally so stuck in there ways they still can't get over the fact that cannabis has benefits  to health the environment and many other aspects of life including poverty but haho no one cares about dinosaurs opinions any more it's legal and nothing you can do about it but moan on a expats forum!!!!!

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Statistics show that hundreds of thousands of Thais risk going to jail if a draft ministerial regulation supporting Public Health Minister Anutin Charnvirakul’s so-called war on drugs is enacted.

Anutins war on drugs laughable.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

I don't condone the use of meth, but labeling someone as a dealer for the possession of two pills is insane, unreasonable, juvenile, overly puritanical, and moving society backwards. Anutin is showing his true colors. 

Don't be like Singapore, but or the dismal Saudis. Backwards, medieval laws are not becoming of a nation that is pretending to be developed. 

One needs to deeply look into the rhymes and reasons on the origins of this inane War On Some Drugs and you'll find that it's just part and parcel to the generalized racket that was set forth. 

7 hours ago, BananaStrong said:

Meth is ghastly. It nearly killed a friend of mine, and it's right that they should get rid of it.

8 hours ago, webfact said:

Currently, people caught with up to 15 methamphetamine pills do not face legal action if they agree to enter a drug rehabilitation program. Such leniency is offered through a narcotics law that went into effect in late 2021.

does this apply to aliens?

12 hours ago, Davedub said:

Meth is nasty stuff and the harm it causes needs to be curbed for sure. However, prohibition has been shown time and again not to work.

Without fail, history has taught us that prohibition simply funnels vast sums of money to criminal organisations like the mafia and the drug cartels of S. America - without any discernable effect on the supply of drugs. In the 50+ years since Nixon announced his 'war on drugs', drug harm has increased exponentially - fact.

Anybody who is sound of mind has no interest in making a mess of themselves and their lives. People find themselves in a drug-induced mess for one of two reasons; they either didn't know what they were getting themselves into (lack of education) or they could see no other way to numb their pain (lack of mental healthcare). Education and mental healthcare are only the proven ways forwards for reducing drug harm - fact.

Stiffer penalties for end users will cause more harm than good, for certain; wrecking families, depriving households of breadwinners, filling up already overcrowded jails all whilst giving yet more opportunity for police corruption. Are they seriously proposing this as some sort of magic bullet to the ever growing meth abuse problem?

Dinosaurs do what dinosaurs do I guess - a predilection for spouting ill-considered, discompassionate, reactive nonsense coupled with having no handle on the reality people actually live with is their nature, as is borne out by announcements like this.

take the money out of the narcotics industry and the traffickers will have to find another line of work...do the math

• Thumbs Up 2