Marriage extension...Immigration Home Visit

3 hours ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

I got my first home visit after about 13 years. Buriram IO. Have now been married 17 years.

No worries for me, I changed to retirement years ago.

Much easier, less paperwork, and no need to drag my family into the IO each time.

• Like 1

On 5/3/2023 at 6:00 AM, IvorBiggun2 said:

I call BS on this post. 'No receipt' for an extension? No, the whole post is ridiculous.

Yes, kind of weird - Every application (I think they did in Hat Yai, for sure in Khon Kaen) they write the receipt 1900B and then they send the wife to make two copies which are attached to the sets of paperwork.

The first year at KKC the immigration, we gave him 2000B, he sent my wife copy machine and then on her return mumbled something about 100B for a special form, must have been a new invisible form, the following year, we took the exact money. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

Yes I've done both to know. And I have 3 children and they are not required to attend the IO as you indicated. 'My daughter and my wife had to also go to the IO' no the children do not have to attend. Photo's of them along with their birth certificates is adequate up to the age of 20. Then you do not have to acknowledge their existence. They then become adults in Thai legality.

Did you not understand my post where I said:

"I tried going one year without them and I was sent away and was told that my wife, at a minimum, had to join me."

My daughter only went with us because she was less than a year old when I did my first marriage extension. (Moved to Thailand when she was 3 months old.)

Can't you at least admit that the retirement way is much easier?

10 minutes ago, dingdongrb said:

Can't you at least admit that the retirement way is much easier?

Of course it is.

How is this related to OP?

He asked specific question regarding home visit for extension based on marriage. 

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

I have to disagree. It all depends on what one defines as 'easier'. Personally I don't think so and that's why I can't admit it. Showing 3-4 photo's and a couple more photocopies is 'harder'? You're having a laugh.

......... and there it is, poof that my signature quote is indeed truthful.

On 5/3/2023 at 8:55 PM, dingdongrb said:

I did 7 years of marriage extensions all out of the Chiang Mai IO and not once did they visit the house. Things probably have changed as that was 2009 thru 2015.

I have done more than 7 years out of Chiang Mai and never once a visit - probably just a random event?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, poppysdad said:

Now on a marriage extension with my Thai wife and so for me there is no extra paperwork. And still no hassle. Perhaps some of us are more organised than some others which also helps. 

I totally agree mate. Taking a couple of hours the day before ones IO visit, to do the 'extension' paperwork and implying the task 'hard' is beyond belief.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

I totally agree mate. Taking a couple of hours the day before ones IO visit, to do the 'extension' paperwork and implying the task 'hard' is beyond belief.

Not that hard but if you forget one piece of paper or they create a new requirement then it becomes a waste of time not a big issue perhaps if retired but if you have children and a job etc time is very valuable...

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TravelerEastWest said:

Not that hard but if you forget one piece of paper or they create a new requirement then it becomes a waste of time

No it doesn't. They're not the ogres that you, or others, seem you seem to be making them out to be. Sometimes you'll come across an officer that is dogmatic but generally they're very helpful. It makes their life easier to help you rather than cause them problems.

• Sad 1

14 hours ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

No it doesn't. They're not the ogres that you, or others, seem you seem to be making them out to be. Sometimes you'll come across an officer that is dogmatic but generally they're very helpful. It makes their life easier to help you rather than cause them problems.

Actually, you are probably thinking of someone else I did not accuse them of being "ogres" or anything terrible at all. You may want to consider reading more carefully before you post.

I have been doing the paperwork for close to 20 years and they have not once come to my house to bother me and my paperwork is all in order every year. I also hire a service to prepare everything and make sure everything goes smoothly as I need to work and I have kids and dogs to take care of...

I wonder how many years have you been extending your visa? Are you retired? Have time consuming kids and family?

• Like 1

On 2/16/2023 at 7:28 AM, Crossy said:

The first year they arrived in their (very) marked BMW

On 2/16/2023 at 7:28 AM, Crossy said:

his year the same lads had a ratty old Toyota (their own) as the Beemer wasn't available.

Same here, what has happened to their 'smart BMWs'' , one guy just turns up now in old pick up. 

• Haha 1

On 2/16/2023 at 7:42 AM, chrischronic said:

How were you informed of visit? I just went through changing visa type in Bkk to marriage and last week just finished second round to extend for a year. Now under consideration for the second time in 3 months and no visit. 

They ring my missus about 2hrs before, sometimes the day before

On 2/16/2023 at 10:57 AM, NoshowJones said:

and don't forget to have their petrol money ready, just in case.

Do NOT give them money EVER. It won't make a jot of difference to your application, if they are not going to approve your extension then they wouldn't come, all your docs have already been checked when you applied.

On 5/4/2023 at 4:49 PM, dingdongrb said:

and when/where my daughter was born. (NOTE: This affidavit came at a cost. If memory serves me correctly it was $50 USD).

Everybody does that but it's only one time before you marry, not every year. "tried going without your wife" :cheesy:

On 5/2/2023 at 1:48 PM, pandaburiram said:

No receipt for the 1,900 baht application fee. Also were told the immigration "visit" will cost another 2,000 baht. Anyone else having to pay for this "visit"???

My missus would soon tell them to FO but in a polite tactful way. My money is hers as far as she is concerned.

On 2/16/2023 at 10:51 AM, Bangkok Barry said:

My experience was as above. They totally ignored me. Spoke to my wife and the neighbours and I was invisible. Funny really, when the only reason they were there was because I had applied for an extension.

It has always been a mystery to me as to why people on here get into a huff about what they perceive as being totally ignored by Immigration. If their annual marriage extensions are at the end of the day successfully granted without the need for any verbal input on their part, then what really is the problem?

On 2/16/2023 at 12:02 PM, Kalasin Jo said:

It is frustrating isn't it and rather bizarre when you are the prime interest yet you are totally ignored. Last time I went in to my local IO with my wife to get the feel of what they want there after a long absence and so a new visa,to come in, the friendly guy started rattling away at my wife in Thai, ignoring me. But she appeared confused. So he then turned to me and we got on fine in English. He concluded by saying to me " you obviously understand all this better than your wife". He turned to her and said in English " you need to pay attention and to look after your husband better".

You were, I think, extremely lucky in being able to deal with a member of that endangered species called "a Thai immigration officer with more than a passing grasp of the English language"!

• Like 1

My experience was as above. They totally ignored me. Spoke to my wife and the neighbours and I was invisible. Funny really, when the only reason they were there was because I had applied for an extension.

I think you may be labouring under a slight misapprehension as to the purpose of the visit. They already know you're applying for an extension and they already know you claim to be living together with your wife, as a married couple, at a given address.

They're there to ascertain whether what you're claiming is true. They don't need to ask you, they already have your application form, so (unless you plan on contradicting the info on your form) there's not much else you can tell them.

As far as I can tell, they're basically there to check with people other than you (the witness and your wife) whether you really are living together at the address you've given them.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

57 minutes ago, OJAS said:

It has always been a mystery to me as to why people on here get into a huff about what they perceive as being totally ignored by Immigration. If their annual marriage extensions are at the end of the day successfully granted without the need for any verbal input on their part, then what really is the problem?

I made an observation. I didn't get 'into a huff'. You need to recognise the difference.

57 minutes ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

I think you may be labouring under a slight misapprehension as to the purpose of the visit. They already know you're applying for an extension and they already know you claim to be living together with your wife, as a married couple, at a given address.

They're there to ascertain whether what you're claiming is true. They don't need to ask you, they already have your application form, so (unless you plan on contradicting the info on your form) there's not much else you can tell them.

As far as I can tell, they're basically there to check with people other than you (the witness and your wife) whether you really are living together at the address you've given them.

We've been married for 32 years with documents to prove that. And one of the officers who visited had already visited us before and remembered doing so. So there was no practical reason for the visit. It was probably just a day out of the office for them. I have had several such extensions before, but due to complicated travel needs I let it slip for four months and was treated as an entirely new applicant. It's as if they keep no records of previous extensions or anything else.

Forget about extension based on marriage, i did it for the 1st 2 years, too invasive and too much hassle. 5 years ago i changed to retirement based extension, much simpler and easier

Edited by Geordieabroad
Spelling
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 5/4/2023 at 4:49 PM, dingdongrb said:

Have you done both to know?

Maybe things have changed or are different but the last tie I did the marriage extension was in 2015. My daughter and my wife had to also go to the IO as my wife had to be interviewed each time. I tried going one year without them and I was sent away and was told that my wife, at a minimum, had to join me.

I also  had to go twice each time. The first to go through the application and interview process, then about 30 days later to get my passport stamped after Bangkok approved the extension.

Yes, 2 copies of everything for marriage and only 1 for retirement, (Writer's cramp signing 2 copies of all the dead trees.) Here's the list of what was required for marriage and has never been needed for retirement. (Maybe things are different now or are different at other IOs):

- Marriage cert

- Divorce decree

- Wife's Thai ID

- Wife's house book

- Daughter's birth certificate

- An affidavit from the US Consulate stating that I was previously divorced, currently married to my Thai wife, and when/where my daughter was born. (NOTE: This affidavit came at a cost. If memory serves me correctly it was $50 USD).

- Pictures of me and the family at our rental home

Totally agree with everything you listed, plus we had to take a guest to IO who had been at our wedding reception to act as witness, ludicrous, that was in 2018.

I changed to retirement extension straight after that

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, brianthainess said:

Everybody does that but it's only one time before you marry, not every year. "tried going without your wife" :cheesy:

Yes, the affidavit was done once for $50 but had to provide 2 copies of it each following year.....Besides, we never registered the marriage here in Thailand. Wife had to accompany me each time.....  :cheesy: