Swedes and Thais fight each other over traffic rule in Phuket

webfact

According to police, all five of them will be charged with jointly harming others without causing physical and mental harm and jointly quarreling in a public place. They will be taken to the Phuket District Court today

and will be charged and deported 

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

2 hours ago, Classic Ray said:

No one is entitled to make their own traffic laws. If they are not allowed to drive in a particular direction or on a particular street, the authorities must put up a sign to say so, not rely on a taxi rider to enforce a “rule”. No wonder the Swedes were upset.

as far as i know its possible to ride until 5pm.. but that might have changed as i have not been there for several month now

2 hours ago, Classic Ray said:

No one is entitled to make their own traffic laws. If they are not allowed to drive in a particular direction or on a particular street, the authorities must put up a sign to say so, not rely on a taxi rider to enforce a “rule”. No wonder the Swedes were upset.

In my local city there are 2 "1 way" streets either side of a single block, forming an anti-clockwise circle. Cars tend to respect the no entry signs on both streets, but motorcycles totally ignore the "official" signs, especially when being ridden by RTP. 

2 hours ago, Dogsredrocket said:

Regardless, I'd probably be upset if a local (who is likely unlicensed and uninsured) made up their own traffic rules and was yelling in my face.

Especially after seeing so many locals (probably including the ones shouting) casually ignore any and all traffic rules where they are an inconvenience to them.

• Thumbs Up 1

If there is a clear sign that you need special permission to drive on the road the Thais are correct.... But probably it is a rule made by someone as often we notice here...and yeah than you get a dispute and who is right???? of course we are guests and always wrong

1 hour ago, firemans35 said:

I haven't been to Patong Beach for many years. Last time I was there the street Soi Bangla closed at night and was turned into a walking street. I didn't think it closed at 3:30 pm even if it did, I'm sure there are thai's also driving on the street after it was closed.

I also haven't been to Phuket for many years and I believe you are correct about the evening restriction. As I remember it was closed to traffic from 4pm until sometime early morning.

2 hours ago, smedly said:

According to police, all five of them will be charged with jointly harming others without causing physical and mental harm and jointly quarreling in a public place. They will be taken to the Phuket District Court today

and will be charged and deported 

One can only hope. 

42 minutes ago, Zapitapi said:

as far as i know its possible to ride until 5pm.. but that might have changed as i have not been there for several month now

eah, like the knob next door to the kebab shop on the corner beach road side, wants me move my bike 2 meters whilst I wait 5 min for my take away...   really..........  and other day I was waiting for something so watched patong beachroad south side van driver adjust his cones and a sign that said taxi only... really....   I read the cops and military cant budge these guys....

1 hour ago, Thingamabob said:

I once had a Swedish girlfriend who had a head of blond hair but was distinctly black haired elsewhere.

normal, having checked many over the years.

Edited by Artisi
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Garry said:

And here I was assuming that compliance of road rules in Thailand was at the total discretion of the rider / driver. Yes I'm being sarcastic ????????????

that's not sarcasm, that's fact.

• Haha 1

I feel like the reporter could have easily taken the time to discover what the 'posted' law is for that street, no?

But if I'm seeing heavy traffic driving on a street, despite postings, and I'm singled out by non law enforcement I might stand my ground as well if pushed.

Also. Are we sure these are swedes?  Also look just like people from Finland.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Dogsredrocket said:

Looks like more Arabs and Africans masquerading as Europeans because someone in the family got a "refugee" VISA.

I think you mean educated, hard working immigrants who know how to successfully run businesses unlike the uneducated locals.

Who tend to be racist and jealous of the success of the immigrants. ????

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1