Thai Health minister says no to 4am pub closing, except in tourist areas

webfact

I myself have a rule that I drink no more than three hours and still manage to get a wobbly boot now and then . Therefore a 4am closing time is completely of no value to me . 

I see no need or desire for it either as you have far more chance of getting into confrontation with drinkers that dont know when they have had enough .

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Many countries don't even have a law on closing time. Drinks are served as long as there are customers. Just need laws and effective enforcement. Laws like drinking in public places, driving under the influence of alcohol or excessively loud music etc. Health Minister Anutin can't see the forest for the trees.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, PingRoundTheWorld said:

Exactly what I was thinking - who cares what the ministry of health thinks - it's not their area of expertise nor should it be his decision.

This guy is a qualified engineer, nothing to do with health, so what does he know?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Eric Loh said:

Many countries don't even have a law on closing time. Drinks are served as long as there are customers. Just need laws and effective enforcement. Laws like drinking in public places, driving under the influence of alcohol or excessively loud music etc. Health Minister Anutin can't see the forest for the trees.

Give me a list of civilized countries who do not regulate alchohol and opening hours?

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Hummin said:

Give me a list of civilized countries who do not regulate alchohol and opening hours?

In China for instance. If shop is open 24 hours, then alcohol is available 24 hours. Japan, no legally codified cutoff for for last drink. Singapore no closing time accept in public places. Some states in US serves alcohol 24 hours. I am talking about closing time and not other regulations like drink driving, drinking in public places etc etc

• Like 1

Yes, the seedy nightlife is very important for the Thai tourism. I still don't understand why TAT doesn't promote this more openly.

There is no zoning. So residents have to accept any noise and other problems. But who cares about them if SOME people can benefit from this seedy nightlife.

I read always about raids and reports that the police here in Pattaya enforces closing times. Yes they do. But for instance last night at four in the morning you still could hear the music of some bars in Central Pattaya. And this is also the location where the main police station is. But perhaps their ears are not that good. 

10 minutes ago, Mickeymaus said:

Yes, the seedy nightlife is very important for the Thai tourism. I still don't understand why TAT doesn't promote this more openly.

There is no zoning. So residents have to accept any noise and other problems. But who cares about them if SOME people can benefit from this seedy nightlife.

I read always about raids and reports that the police here in Pattaya enforces closing times. Yes they do. But for instance last night at four in the morning you still could hear the music of some bars in Central Pattaya. And this is also the location where the main police station is. But perhaps their ears are not that good. 

I lived in Lengkee a while back and moved out because of the constant thud thud thud of bass., And the senseless shrieking around the pool table often til 4am. Even during COVID, lockdown and curfew. Complained to cop shop on Beach Road, but was told later on it was police owned.

If they designated Walking St in Pattaya for instance an all night entertainment area, ok. You'd know what to avoid for residential purposes within a 400m radius, or more. Easier for police to monitor, and control as necessary (licensing, health and safety, fighting etc). Easier done in small chunks like that. Break it down into manageable "bites", not a massive nationwide blanket strategy.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, bradiston said:

I lived in Lengkee a while back and moved out because of the constant thud thud thud of bass., And the senseless shrieking around the pool table often til 4am. Even during COVID, lockdown and curfew. Complained to cop shop on Beach Road, but was told later on it was police owned.

If they designated Walking St in Pattaya for instance an all night entertainment area, ok. You'd know what to avoid for residential purposes within a 400m radius, or more. Easier for police to monitor, and control as necessary (licensing, health and safety, fighting etc). Easier done in small chunks like that. Break it down into manageable "bites", not a massive nationwide blanket strategy.

There were reports recently in the news that the governor of Bangkok wants to impose strickt noise regulations at the Khao San Road because it got unbearable for residents. And residents are not only people living there but also hotels. He gave them 2 weeks to follow the new regulations. They are not over yet. But it is encouraging to see that a government cares.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Mickeymaus said:

There were reports recently in the news that the governor of Bangkok wants to impose strickt noise regulations at the Khao San Road because it got unbearable for residents. And residents are not only people living there but also hotels. He gave them 2 weeks to follow the new regulations. They are not over yet. But it is encouraging to see that a government cares.

Ok, shut down all night life in Thailand. I don't care. I never use those facilities anyway, and I live in an area where there are no bars. It's entirely residential. But watch the devastation on the tourist industry. Som nam na if they can't sort it out. It'll be worse than COVID.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, webfact said:

He disclosed that road accidents during the 2023 New Year festival dropped by about 20%, compared to last year, thanks to the cooperation of all parties concerned, including ThaiHealth for their road safety campaign.

Yes, those road safety "campaigns" are soooooo effective ????

How lucky Thailand must be having a health minister putting his nose into literally any case standing around; this time it's the interior ministry's turf. 
I - for one - sleep at midnight already but the closing hours have nothing to do with health but it allows the boys in brown to skim off bribes from every watering hole having switched off the light boxes, turned down the music so the interior minister (under which you'll find the police and the immigration) will be happy to hear. Wondering, when this country will wake up and consider voting for people working in the interest of the electorate rather than their own bank accounts. 

In the EU , specifically Germany and France, there have been studies lately that show an immediate and direct connection between noise (construction, traffic, music, neighbourhood) and sneaking in cardiac problems and psychological feeling of threat.  Some wisecrack , I realise, will now immediately say : a tough guy never feels threatened but he will be very wrong , he just is too daft to realise there is nothing he can do about it. I purposely do not gender here, women are generally smarter. It is not a question of civilised or not but a question of what speaks louder : money/vested interest or rule of law. If both are in the same hands, then......And quoting maoist China as a civilised country that has the wellbeing of it's citizens in mind and heeds any study to that effect coming from outside of their ministries of funny talks ...............right you are, mate.

• Thumbs Up 1