Air Force’s F-5 Fighter Jets Now Upgraded

webfact

image.jpeg

By Thai Newsroom Reporters

A SQUADRON OF F-5TH Super Tigris fighter jets of the air force have already been upgraded for a 10-year service from now, confirmed an air force officer over the weekend.

Elbit Systems of Israel and Thai Aviation Industries were contracted for the five-year modification programmes for the 13 Northrop F-5 fighters, 11 of which are one-seat jets and two others are two-seat combat aircraft.

The F-5TH Super Tigris jets, deployed by the air force since 1978, have been upgraded in the area of avionics and weapon systems featuring short-range, air-to-air missiles and laser-guided bombs, among others.

Full story: https://thainewsroom.com/2023/02/18/air-forces-f-5-fighter-jets-now-upgraded/

tn.jpg

-- © Copyright  THAI NEWSROOM 2023-02-20

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

• Thumbs Up 1

UPGRADED to security level 9, which means if I tell you I will be jailed for 30-years.

I helped with the upgrades, way more than will ever been told online.  You have no idea!!!!

It's like a different plane...................The most amazing advancement is.......................................

<now currently held in a black site by North Koreans, Chinese, and Russians>   

8 hours ago, liddelljohn said:

Good planes but quite ancient not competetive against  4th and 5th gen fighters   , they make good advanced trainers though and will easily deal with Cambodian  burmese and Laos airforces if electronics  upgrades are latest from elbit and  latest missiles

Last time I looked at Janes (a while ago) the Cambodian Air Force consisted of 6oo personnel and its 2 planes, I think King Airs were on permanent loan to Hun Sens security detachment. No danger from Laos either. Not sure about Burma. Interestingly I live on the Cambodian border and every now and then at night a fast jet, presumably Thai, does a run roughly along the border, must be just to s*** them off

Edited by Bluetongue
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Bluetongue said:

Last time I looked at Janes (a while ago) the Cambodian Air Force consisted of 6oo personnel and its 2 planes, I think King Airs were on permanent loan to Hun Sens security detachment. No danger from Laos either. Not sure about Burma. Interestingly I live on the Cambodian border and every now and then at night a fast jet, presumably Thai, does a run roughly along the border, must be just to s*** them off

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Cambodian_Air_Force

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lao_People's_Liberation_Army_Air_Force

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myanmar_Air_Force

This is a far more serious proposition and IMHO the RTAF has very few combat aircraft to equal the Myanmar air force. In addition, IMHO the Myanmar air force have better aircraft and better trained crews than Thailand and even the much vaunted, (and not yet available) F 35 will be of little use as there not be enough of them to make any real difference.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, liddelljohn said:

Good planes but quite ancient not competetive against  4th and 5th gen fighters   , they make good advanced trainers though and will easily deal with Cambodian  burmese and Laos airforces if electronics  upgrades are latest from elbit and  latest missiles

For use of latest missiles you would need the latest associated system behind it and I very much doubt if the USA would give Thailand that.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, liddelljohn said:

What does Thailand need combat jets for? 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Photoguy21 said:

For use of latest missiles you would need the latest associated system behind it and I very much doubt if the USA would give Thailand that.

I don't remember reading that any missiles were American. Could be Israeli????

Edited by VocalNeal

12 hours ago, Grumpy one said:

The big question is will these planes have the capability to shoot down the very dangerous Chinese weather balloons ?  ????

The Yanks had to fire two missiles at one balloon, as one missile missed, how many will the Thai air force use.

Or use Somchia and his catapult. 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, mikebell said:

I hate having to explain jokes. Because now the students will have to face being bombed and strafed from the air as well as 'rubber' bullets/pepper spray on the ground.

Think it highly unlikely these would be used against students......