Thailand Sets 2027 Target for 100% Reuse of Plastic

webfact

3 hours ago, webfact said:

The government has emphasized the importance of managing plastic waste, which has had increasingly negative effects on the environment. It is now urging all sides to work towards reducing the use of plastic and eventually meeting the goal of reusing 100% of plastic waste by 2027

3027... more realistic

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, smedly said:

well good luck with that

the amount of plastic I accumulate is quite shocking, if I could avoid it I would - impossible

Yes, appears to be quite idealistic.

Even the most steadfast programs of recycling/reusing plastics in the world struggle to maintain any such balance. 

I surely wouldn't expect the Thais do gain ground on something that's not improvable. 

The only manner in which pursue these troublesome issues would be to cease manufacturing and using plastics - most of which are of the synthetic varieties, in which the recycling technology hasn't been developed in a high and universal fashion, as of yet. All the while, our instincts are to mindlessly consume and accumulate - all of which is encased or made of this destructive material.

We're not a terribly cognitive species, are we?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Misty said:

Certainly applaud the idea, but without any concrete timeline or plan this just seems like happy talk.  Will anything really change, or will this just be like so many government goals and plans that go no where.

I'll take the latter choice for 1,000, Alex....

• Thumbs Up 1

Recycling plastic is big business's lot of people almost make a living out of it, picking up plastic bottles etc. from beside the roads, then un-like our country they sell it to a recycling company, and it is them that sell it on for recycling.

That is where the problem is if they cannot get a good price for, they plastic they will not do it the price goes up and down, we have a place near here that buys in plastic bottles etc. put them in to big bales and sells it on, they yard is full of these bales, a low price at this time.

We save all our plastic glass bottles etc. guy end of our Soi buys them, the last lot the wife sold was the lowest price she has got in a long while.

For this to work the government will have to help out, with some form of subsidy, as that will not happen things will just carry on as before.

8 hours ago, Seppius said:

I seem to remember 7-Elevens stopped using plastic for a while a few years ago

Would this include all the processed and packaged items encased in plastic?

Again......too many missing the bigger picture - or any picture.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

It's a step in the right direction. It seems like the naysayers here would prefer they did nothing until they can solve the entire problem, a solution which also escapes every other nation.

Naive is as naive does.

• Haha 1

Always good to set high aspirations. But, the issue with plastic is that a high percentage of it simply cannot be reused. It is very hard to sort and there are too many grades of it. Best to avoid as much use of it as possible. 

1. I bring re-usable bags with me every time I go shopping. I use the larger shopping bags I buy in the US, which are made of recycled materials. Most of the clerks have to be dealt with. Even when they see my bag, they still start putting the stuff in plastic. I always mai sai toom. No plastic! Then they start loading up my bag. Most look at me like I am from Mars. Do I care? Not one iota. About 1% thank me, and get it. Not many do. My Thai wife does not like bringing the bags to the store. I compel her to. By now, she expects it, and sometimes even asks if I have any bags in the car, or on the motorbike. Same with the water bottles. It used to embarrass her. Now, it is second nature, as I have been doing this for so long, she expects it. So, if a Thai can be conditioned to follow these simple principals, then anyone can.

2. I bring a bottle of water with me, every time I go to a restaurant. I refill my plastic bottles from the 20 liter bottles at home. It is easy. I never buy bottled water at a restaurant. This saves 300-600 bottles a year. I use a plastic bottle dozens of times. I never get any flack from the restaurants. Only once did someone say something to me. She said you cannot bring your own water. My response was if you serve the water in a glass bottle, and I do not have to consume a plastic bottle, I am happy to pay for that. She was lost. I told her to leave and get me my food. She went away.

We simply cannot say we are concerned about the environment, and then do nothing about it. Action demonstrates commitment. Lack of action demonstrates nothing.

Lastly, restaurants can demonstrate their commitment, by serving drinking water from the 20 liter bottles. Alot of local places do this. But, the tourist places don't. It saves alot of plastic. They lose a small amount of revenue, by not selling thousands of bottles of water. But, their operation is still profitable, and they are making a real difference.

There really is not need to be consuming water in plastic bottles. At least not often. There are alternatives. Those damn bottles are a real culprit, when it comes to fouling the environment. What can we do, if we say we care?

Edited by spidermike007
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Always good to set high aspirations. But, the issue with plastic is that a high percentage of it simply cannot be reused. It is very hard to sort and there are too many grades of it. Best to avoid as much use of it as possible. 

1. I bring re-usable bags with me every time I go shopping. I use the larger shopping bags I buy in the US, which are made of recycled materials. Most of the clerks have to be dealt with. Even when they see my bag, they still start putting the stuff in plastic. I always mai sai toom. No plastic! Then they start loading up my bag. Most look at me like I am from Mars. Do I care? Not one iota. About 1% thank me, and get it. Not many do. My Thai wife does not like bringing the bags to the store. I compel her to. By now, she expects it, and sometimes even asks if I have any bags in the car, or on the motorbike. Same with the water bottles. It used to embarrass her. Now, it is second nature, as I have been doing this for so long, she expects it. So, if a Thai can be conditioned to follow these simple principals, then anyone can.

2. I bring a bottle of water with me, every time I go to a restaurant. I refill my plastic bottles from the 20 liter bottles at home. It is easy. I never buy bottled water at a restaurant. This saves 300-600 bottles a year. I use a plastic bottle dozens of times. I never get any flack from the restaurants. Only once did someone say something to me. She said you cannot bring your own water. My response was if you serve the water in a glass bottle, and I do not have to consume a plastic bottle, I am happy to pay for that. She was lost. I told her to leave and get me my food. She went away.

We simply cannot say we are concerned about the environment, and then do nothing about it. Action demonstrates commitment. Lack of action demonstrates nothing.

Lastly, restaurants can demonstrate their commitment, by serving drinking water from the 20 liter bottles. Alot of local places do this. But, the tourist places don't. It saves alot of plastic. They lose a small amount of revenue, by not selling thousands of bottles of water. But, their operation is still profitable, and they are making a real difference.

There really is not need to be consuming water in plastic bottles. At least not often. There are alternatives. Those damn bottles are a real culprit, when it comes to fouling the environment. What can we do, if we say we care?

Not wanting to be a grammar nazi but part of the reason they look at you like you came from Mars might be "I always mai sai toom. No plastic!" A bag is "toong" and you should say "mai ow toong". ????

• Thanks 1

On 2/20/2023 at 12:56 PM, Seppius said:

I seem to remember 7-Elevens stopped using plastic for a while a few years ago

Yes, then there was a period of charging a few baht for a plastic bag... nowadays can't say as I notice what they do, but I get a bag. The supermarket I use does not give them away.... but everything from cooked chicken, loose fruit and veg and pre packed foods generally come in plastic. Drinks always have done and still do, Not much progress really.