Planning to Retire in Thailand

13 minutes ago, BusyB said:

If the emergency involves your brains hanging out, major trauma like a shattered spine or things like strokes you won't be traveling anywhere ...

Just saying ...

For me emergency is anything which prevents me flying out...as simple as that. If we could fly out any time we have medical issues very few people would buy an insurance.

• Like 1

The fact is nobody on here can advise you about retiring here. with any degree of accuracy  They can tell you about their own experiences, from which you can make your own judgement, but they are a mere few members of a public anonymous forum, so they have their own views, beefs, prejudices, biases, and none may be relevant to you, in fact none are probably directly relevant to you and your situation.   These forums are valuable in terms of finding out the  mechanics of visas, extensions, 90 day reports, getting a Thai D,  navigating Thai government bureaucracy  etc.  What they can't do is give you any information worth a jot on how and where to live, love and  your on particular finances.  They are too individual to be of any use. I saw that some one had said that $2000 is fine for living here.  I need at least double that figure to live as I do, so how relevant is either comment to you?  You need to live it to know it. I can no more recommend this location/country for your retirement, than  I can recommend anywhere/somewhere different. Neither can anyone else. 

Edited by Doctor Tom
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

What percentage of the area of Jomtien  beach that runs many miles do you reckon is gay oriented.

Answer. 

Less than one percent.

Labeling Jomtien overall as gay is totally stupid and totally wrong.

If you read my previous post you replied to one more time, you see I already answered that. I wasnt the one who stated whole jomtien was a gay center. 

Found a link for you, and will be interesting ro see what google provides for me the next week or two after my google search ????

http://thenaughtynomad.com/destinations/gay-asia/gay-thailand/gay-pattaya-2/jomtien-complex/

7 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Uh huh.

Im not right to express my feelings? Is that not right to say I am not comfortable? Do I have to accept every behavior some few others think are okay? 

I have continued to visit Pattaya and Jomtien, I just do not need to visit places Im outside my comfort zone. And as one who is going to soon move to Pattaya or jomtien, it is okay to know, right? For both sakes, if he likes or not.

Edited by Hummin
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Jomtien beach is huge. It runs for many miles. It is hardly an exclusively gay area. 

This is exactly the problem of Jomtien. It runs for many miles and there is almost no infrastructure - apart from the immigration office of course. Jomtien needs for instance shopping malls. Jomtien is far too dependent on Central Pattaya when it comes to infrastructure. How is it with noise in Jomtien? I hear many complaints. The noise and the red light district feeling is what I don't like in Central Pattaya. 

1 minute ago, Hummin said:

If you read my previous post you replied to one more time, you see I already answered that. I wasnt the one who stated whole jomtien was a gay center. 

Found a link for you, and will be interesting ro see what google provides for me the next week or two after my google search ????

http://thenaughtynomad.com/destinations/gay-asia/gay-thailand/gay-pattaya-2/jomtien-complex/

Duh.

Jomtien complex is gay.

It's far from the beach.

There are also straight nightlife areas in Jomtien and gay places in Pattaya.

You seem obsessed with this. 

I guess some insecure straight guys might be worried to have people think they are gay if they live in Jomtien. That would be a very silly reason to avoid Jomtien though.

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Hummin said:

Im not right to express my feelings? Is that not right to say I am not comfortable? Do I have to accept every behavior some few others think are okay? 

I have continued to visit Pattaya and Jomtien, I just do not need to visit places Im outside my comfort zone. And as one who is going to soon move to Pattaya or jomtien, it is okay to know, right? For both sakes, if he likes or not.

I think you're painting a false picture yes.

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Mickeymaus said:

This is exactly the problem of Jomtien. It runs for many miles and there is almost no infrastructure - apart from the immigration office of course. Jomtien needs for instance shopping malls. Jomtien is far too dependent on Central Pattaya when it comes to infrastructure. How is it with noise in Jomtien? I hear many complaints. The noise and the red light district feeling is what I don't like in Central Pattaya. 

OK for those that want to go to malls often  Pattaya is better.

1 minute ago, Jingthing said:

Duh.

Jomtien complex is gay.

It's far from the beach.

There are also straight nightlife areas in Jomtien and gay places in Pattaya.

You seem obsessed with this. 

I guess some insecure straight guys might be worried to have people think they are gay if they live in Jomtien. That would be a very silly reason to avoid Jomtien though.

This is what ChatGPT says about Jomtien and gays:

The Jomtien Beach area of Pattaya, Thailand, has a thriving gay scene, with many bars, clubs, and other establishments catering to the LGBTQ+ community. However, it's worth noting that the gay scene in Pattaya is not confined to a single area, and there are gay-friendly establishments scattered throughout the city.

That being said, one popular area for gay nightlife in Jomtien is the Jomtien Complex, which is located on Thappraya Road between Jomtien Beach and Pattaya Beach. The complex features a variety of gay bars, clubs, and restaurants, and it is a popular destination for both locals and tourists.

Some of the popular gay establishments in the Jomtien Complex include:

The Venue: A large, multi-level club with regular theme nights and live shows.

2nd Floor: A stylish cocktail bar with a laid-back atmosphere.

Preecha Seafood: A seafood restaurant that is popular with the local LGBTQ+ community.

Panorama Pub: A bar with an open-air terrace that offers stunning views of Jomtien Beach.

At Home Bar: A cozy bar with a friendly atmosphere and regular drink specials.

These are just a few examples of the many gay-friendly establishments in Jomtien. Visitors to Pattaya will find that there is a wide variety of options for LGBTQ+ nightlife in the city.

• Like 1

I'm just trying to grasp how you believe you can find a house for sale in the USA for $50,000.

It must've been decades since you lived here.

If you want a lifestyle of sun & beaches and good food, you won't be able to find them in downtown Detroit, or St. Louis, or Buffalo NY, -because those are the only places you will find a US$50K house.

You do know that those are places where you will get beaten and robbed almost daily because you are old and an easy target?

Stay in Thailand, live within a budget for a few years and you'll be fine.

Live in a 10,000 baht rental, grow your own weed.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, ChintaHuma said:

I am assuming 60,000 for 2K USD to be on the safe side

Good questions. Let me try to list it. I may over estimate to be on the safe side. 
Rent 15,000,

Electricity, water, Internet, phone, entertainment (movies, netflix, etc.): 5,000

Foods 15,000

Transportation 3,000

Misc. 2000

House cleaning 1500

Health insurance 10,000

Weed 6,000

Did I miss anything else? 

Hey, it seems I can afford health insurance. Why everybody is making a big deal about health insurance?

Your insurance could run around $2k/year......under 6000 baht/month.

For example  https://www.healthcareinternational.com/annual with lifetime renewal and repatriation.

i'm sure you can find a decent small house for under 10k baht.  Rent a furnished efficiency for much less than that.......temporarily.  Spend six months scouting out the area to find where you want to live.

Our electric bill runs about 1000/month, water about 50-100.  Internet and phone and TV package is 500/month.  (Thai TV package for the wife)

Forgive me OP, but you seem very naïve, with under developed thinking on your retirement plans.  Others here are winding you up and supporting your clear lack of retirement planning. You asked in an earlier post why some posters are making a big deal about  health insurance, or other health cover, see what I mean?   If you are even asking that question you need to seriously question your motives for thinking of leaving your home for anywhere else, let alone Thailand. Good luck. 

• Sad 1

I have been retired in Chiang Mai for 6 years.  I think the first question that needs to be answered is:  

What type of Visa are you going to pursue to retire?  

A) Non Imm OA Visa from a Thai Embassy or Consulate

b) Non Imm O Extension of Stay that can be obtained in Thailand

Edited by sqwakvfr

22 minutes ago, Hummin said:

You are easily offended, if you read my posts, there no indication I claim Jomtien is gay, except from a smaller area. You bring in other discussions to the table you had with me earlier. Insecure is just the mirror effect.

I didn't say I was offended.

I was just pushing back from the picture that you were painting. You deny it but I call BS.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Sad 1

14 hours ago, proton said:

Basically just for sex tourists with thousands of prostitutes and not a very pleasant place with poor beaches, horrible traffic and no real town planning as it developed, so quite unattractive. 

You are so wrong, except for the traffic situation, which is probably bad in all big cities.

There are many expat clubs and social contacts in Pattaya. Good gyms, saunas, restaurants and beaches.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I have lived in Bangkok almost three years now. But I’m in a different situation than you.  I have Pension and Social Security from USA.  Even though I pay Medicare but can’t use it.  My insurance company covers me 100%. With  no copays.  This occurred after I turned 65.  And my health insurance is from my previous job.  I still pay for Medicare.  And also my health insurance at a special rate. 
I would not risk moving  here or any place else without decent health insurance.  People say they don’t worry about it because they are healthy.  Well I was healthy too.  Now I have some ongoing health issues.  So you never know.  You want to be treated properly if the situation occurs. 
I traveled to Hua Hin a couple of times. Pattaya once.  I liked both but Hua Hin better.  
As for sex workers . You can find them in any city with tourists in Thailand.  And with the bar areas. 
In general sounds like you have enough income to live on.  Depending on your lifestyle.  Sorry to hear about your medical issues.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Mickeymaus said:

This is what ChatGPT says about Jomtien and gays:

The Jomtien Beach area of Pattaya, Thailand, has a thriving gay scene, with many bars, clubs, and other establishments catering to the LGBTQ+ community. However, it's worth noting that the gay scene in Pattaya is not confined to a single area, and there are gay-friendly establishments scattered throughout the city.

That being said, one popular area for gay nightlife in Jomtien is the Jomtien Complex, which is located on Thappraya Road between Jomtien Beach and Pattaya Beach. The complex features a variety of gay bars, clubs, and restaurants, and it is a popular destination for both locals and tourists.

Some of the popular gay establishments in the Jomtien Complex include:

The Venue: A large, multi-level club with regular theme nights and live shows.

2nd Floor: A stylish cocktail bar with a laid-back atmosphere.

Preecha Seafood: A seafood restaurant that is popular with the local LGBTQ+ community.

Panorama Pub: A bar with an open-air terrace that offers stunning views of Jomtien Beach.

At Home Bar: A cozy bar with a friendly atmosphere and regular drink specials.

These are just a few examples of the many gay-friendly establishments in Jomtien. Visitors to Pattaya will find that there is a wide variety of options for LGBTQ+ nightlife in the city.

The Jomtien complex also has some worthy restaurants and an incredible French bakery that are draws for anyone.

https://m.facebook.com/100063953205946/

Edited by Jingthing

I didn't say I was offended.

I was just pushing back from the picture that you were painting. You deny it but I call BS.

The picture Im painting is that part of Jomtien is where gay people go holiday and to one specific part of the beach? 

IMG_20230222_135409.jpg

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, simon43 said:

Well, I'm not addicted to sex and booze and I really enjoy my time when living in Pattaya ????

It is not compulsory to drink alcohol.

It is not compulsory to throw money at loose women

Pattaya is a very pleasant place to retire, due to low condo rents, wide choice of shops and restaurants, good hospitals (for a price), nice beach promenade etc etc.

Exactly.

And the fact that the Vagabond Awake youtube channel is featuring Jomtien and Pattaya as highly desirable budget retirement destinations is a sign of how far the area has  come. Not a sexpat channel and they have been on longer stays almost everywhere people might want to retire on a budget all over the world.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, carlyai said:

You are so wrong, except for the traffic situation, which is probably bad in all big cities.

There are many expat clubs and social contacts in Pattaya. Good gyms, saunas, restaurants and beaches.

The beeches are some of the worst and have to be topped up with tonnes of sand, as well as having sewage poured in the sea from them, Where are all the parks, museums and concert venues if it's that great? Not everyone is interested in gyms and saunas.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, ChintaHuma said:

Never been to Hua Hin but I am very familiar with Pattay. You mean Hua Hin does not not have sex tourists? Jomtian area in Pattay and beaches are OK. I used to sit on Jomtian beaches and never felt bad. 

What he means .........

Pattaya beaches aren't very nice and the sea is disgusting ........

Hua Hin beaches are much nicer, and you can swim in the water, when it isn't jellyfish season.

As for cost of living,

I'm living quite well as a family of 4 on 50kbht/month in Chiang Mai.

No good for you as you want beaches.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, proton said:

The beeches are some of the worst and have to be topped up with tonnes of sand, as well as having sewage poured in the sea from them, Where are all the parks, museums and concert venues if it's that great? Not everyone is interested in gyms and saunas.

The area excels as a total package.

The most popular beach resort city in Asia it is very easy for expats to settle here. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

The area excels as a total package.

The most popular beach resort city in Asia it is very easy for expats to settle here. 

Total package of a dirty sea, sex venues and pick up locations, hundreds of boring bars and tacky restaurants and over priced transport. No easier to stay in than anywhere else in the country, apart from the long lines in the sun at the immigration office, with all the other badly dressed foreigners.????

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1