Sniffer Beagle Inspects Luggage and Passengers at Phuket Airport

webfact

Malaysia had 2 dogs that supposedly could sniff out pirated CDs/DVDs (maybe they could smell the mendacity ????) .  There were newspaper stories that crime organizations had a reward out to anyone who would kill them.  Anyone know if they are still around?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Apparently there dogs that can detect termites!  Aren't beagles somewhat stinky dogs?  Or maybe I'm thinking of some other kind.

... Ah, found at random:  Beagles have a higher concentration of odor-producing microbes which love damp and wet environments. Their coat absorbs moisture and releases an unpleasant smell through oily secretions of their sebaceous glands (hair follicles). Although most dogs will have that typical 'wet dog' smell, beagles tend to have it worse.

12 hours ago, bendejo said:

Oz uses beagles also.

Indeed they do, or they did the last time I visited to see my sister and her family, but unfortunately I had a carry on bag, and in one of the side pockets I had placed a sandwich (wrapped) some time previously, which of course was eaten long before I got to Oz. However the Beagle sniffed around the bag and sat down next to it, which is the signal to the handler that I might have some food in there!

The bag was emptied out and only had a few odds and ends in it, and I explained to the handler that perhaps the sandwich from some time ago was what the Beagle was smelling?? And he said it probably was, but better to be safe than sorry, which I agreed with, so I was sent on my way. BUT the handler was very courteous and completely understood, so he left a good impression, which is great for inbound tourists.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Damrongsak said:

Apparently there dogs that can detect termites!  Aren't beagles somewhat stinky dogs?  Or maybe I'm thinking of some other kind.

... Ah, found at random:  Beagles have a higher concentration of odor-producing microbes which love damp and wet environments. Their coat absorbs moisture and releases an unpleasant smell through oily secretions of their sebaceous glands (hair follicles). Although most dogs will have that typical 'wet dog' smell, beagles tend to have it worse.

Dogs have also been trained to detect bedbug odor.

Edited by JimmyJ