Gen Z is driving force among adults identifying as LGBTQ, poll shows. Here's a breakdown.

Scott

7 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Cisgender gay Boomer here.

I really don't understand those very high numbers.

They sound incredible.

I am very skeptical of them.

Bill Maher who is often obnoxious but also often right talks about the power of being trendy in youth.

I bet in 20 years that the Z LGBTQ numbers will be much lower.

The way its going gay bars will need to rebrand as just bars.

Actually, if you go back to the world of the Ancient Greeks and Romans, you'll find sexual relationships between men were actually celebrated in verse.  Of course, these were pre-Christian societies. So it may be that as Christianity continues to lose its pull over people's, sexual practices, or at least in individuals openly acknowledging that they are engaging in them, western societies are simply returning to the ancient status quo.

1 minute ago, placeholder said:

Actually, if you go back to the world of the Ancient Greeks and Romans, you'll find sexual relationships between men were actually celebrated in verse.  Of course, these were pre-Christian societies. So it may be that as Christianity continues to lose its pull over people's, sexual practices, or at least in individuals openly acknowledging that they are engaging in them, western societies are simply returning to the ancient status quo.

True but the ancients didn't identify in the alphabet ways we do. That is very modern.

To the title of thread, it's just fad, as it seems cool to be non binary, sort of like, in style to 'apologize for being white' a few years ago, or saying your were sexually harassed/assaulted, but don't want to name anyone, as trying to put it behind you ????

Or against RU or CH and haven't a clue about either.   Or supporting UA and not even able to find it on a map.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, placeholder said:

But the point is that these practices were widespread in the pre-Christian Classical world.

Given that we now know that sexuality and gender (in all it;s forms) is genetic the proportions of the total population then and now are very likely to be similar.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, placeholder said:

But the point is that these practices were widespread in the pre-Christian Classical world.

You can be LGBTQ without specific behaviors. They are identities. Again I think you're barking up the wrong tree conflating modern identities with ancient societies.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

It's sort of like with drug legalization.  Weed is being legalized, but the popularity of meth, fentanyl, etc is up.  Maybe some people need more of an outlaw rep -- dads are smoking pot, no pathway to cool there.  For some young people these things aren't any fun if it doesn't tick off their parents.

Adventurous sexual orientation went through a phase around 1970, definitely amped up when the glitter thing took off.   (Remember the Kinks singing "Lola" in 1969? Jagger singing a love song about Bowie?)  Please don't tell me fashion has nothing to do with this.

About ten years ago I was talking with someone who was attending what is supposedly the most liberal college in the US (hint: it's in the NW) and he they told me at that school if you are not gay or bi you're expected to apologize for it. 

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, bendejo said:

It's sort of like with drug legalization.  Weed is being legalized, but the popularity of meth, fentanyl, etc is up.  Maybe some people need more of an outlaw rep -- dads are smoking pot, no pathway to cool there.  For some young people these things aren't any fun if it doesn't tick off their parents.

Adventurous sexual orientation went through a phase around 1970, definitely amped up when the glitter thing took off.   (Remember the Kinks singing "Lola" in 1969? Jagger singing a love song about Bowie?)  Please don't tell me fashion has nothing to do with this.

About ten years ago I was talking with someone who was attending what is supposedly the most liberal college in the US (hint: it's in the NW) and he they told me at that school if you are not gay or bi you're expected to apologize for it. 

Reed. 

The Bard of the west. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Thumbs Up 1

In the movie "Tar" (with Cate Blanchett) there is a scene with a music student who is a little too involved with his sexual identity.  The professor is trying to impress upon him that he would do well by listening to, and learning from, Brahms.  He responds with "I'm not into cis composers."  Professor (who is a lesbian) thinks this is an incredibly ridiculous perspective.

Imagine, in a real-life similar setting, if someone said "I don't listen to Tchaikovsky because I don't like gay composers."

2 minutes ago, bendejo said:

In the movie "Tar" (with Cate Blanchett) there is a scene with a music student who is a little too involved with his sexual identity.  The professor is trying to impress upon him that he would do well by listening to, and learning from, Brahms.  He responds with "I'm not into cis composers."  Professor (who is a lesbian) thinks this is an incredibly ridiculous perspective.

Imagine, in a real-life similar setting, if someone said "I don't listen to Tchaikovsky because I don't like gay composers."

It was a movie!

• Like 1