Rejected at PoiPet border

8 minutes ago, Kardashev said:

It's my 3rd entry in total, first one by land last 2 were air

What about original entry and in country extensions? To say only 3rd entry doesn't tell what your history is and the full history is part of what most all IO's look at, not just how many entries in each calendar year.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kardashev said:

I didn't know I had to activate my card for overseas and I can't do that until Monday, don't judge.

I wasn't aware that you need to activate your card for overseas travel. 

Several months ago I visited Cape Town and was able to withdraw cash using my debit card with no problems.

Possibly, in your case, certain banks do require activation for foreign countries.

21 minutes ago, Kardashev said:

Yes I have mobile banking and bank statements to show I don't have my bank book although that wouldn't display a balance anyway I've never used it

That's good, and as you already posted, you have a confirmed onward flight to Vietnam in March.

I remember a news article quoting an immigration commander saying that proof of funds does not have to be in cash. If the IO wants to refuse you entry, he will have to play another card, for example suspicion that you would work illegally in Thailand. That would be section 12(3) but I have read about this one being pulled only once or twice in the 14 years I have been reading this forum.

Wishing you good luck.

5 minutes ago, rankric said:

Should not allow these posts wirhout a proof of event. Something that proves this post is legit. A reciept, a photo of a schefule board with date on it. Could all just be a load of BS by a BS poster. 

Lol I'll upload my ticket after flight

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Kardashev said:

I didn't know I had to activate my card for overseas and I can't do that until Monday, don't judge.

This may be too late, but it is worthwhile trying multiple ATM machines. If the withdrawal is via Visa, for instance, activation for use overseas may be needed, while some other inter-bank systems may work.

I'm waiting for the update from the OP! (interesting topic).

I got denied myself 1 month ago at the PoiPet border, while that was my first visa-run / border-run in 3 years time! Then I took a minivan to Phnom Penh and I fly to Bangkok. There immigration questioned me and said that border-runs are not allowed anymore if you stay longer in Thailand than an actual tourists.

A $300-500 bribe is common at that border. I got that bribe offered too (by an unofficial agent) (ofcourse).

I will never go to PoiPet again: that was a once in a lifetime mistake (but worth trying if you did 0 or 1 border runs)

• Like 2

Well done OP. Poipet is a notorious border crossing that play by their own rules, and should be avoided by anyone without an Non-O visa.

If you need it, you can use a visa run company and use up your second land border hop later. You'll have no issues.

FYI.. in future ignore the pathetic  'proof or it didn't happen' posters.

• Thumbs Up 1

26 minutes ago, chrischronic said:

It's better to just pay the visa service fee at the desk.

Can you post more specifics? From your brief sentence, this sounds like an add-on service provided by third-parties that's available to travelers on the Thai side BEFORE they enter Cambodia?

23 hours ago, soi3eddie said:

but plenty of dumb Western backpackers didn't have correct paperwork which held things up. 

Thank you for your observations. Was this at Thai or Cambodian Immigration? From personal experience, this was often the case at Cambodian (Poipet) Immigration. The main problem was people who entered Cambodia on an E-visa and either did not have, or mislaid, a copy to return to Immigration on exiting. For reference (Cambodian Immigration):-

In around 3 days you will receive your visa for Cambodia by email. You then simply need to print two copies of this document for your outgoing and return travel.

At Thai Immigration (Aranyaphratet), I always experienced long delays just queueing - 1 hour the shortest, 4 hours the longest.

Edited by Burma Bill
additional information
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, steven100 said:

We do not know or can confirm his rejection was due to * reference to section 12 (2) of the immigration Act.

He .. the OP was not asked for $500 at any time by any IO. 

He .. the OP just quoted this in his thread for whatever reason which is a stupid thing to say.

OP ....  you were rejected because this is your 3rd entry into Thailand on either a TV or Visa on arrival.

You raised a red flag when trying to enter at Poi Pet as this is your 3rd entry.

You should have done your homework and entered at a more favorable entry point or acquired the agents services to assist in your entry process. 

You only have yourself to blame .....  as others have mentioned,  have 20,000 baht in cash,  exit ticket or whatever is needed to minimise another rejection.  

obviously you haven't learn't how Asia works,  you get what you pay for.

Well said.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, chrischronic said:

It's better to just pay the visa service fee at the desk. The 2000 to 3000 baht gives you a stamp on both sides with no questions asked. The guy walks you to both sides and its easy. Way better than getting stuck in Cambodia and spending more to get back. 

I simply do not believe you can get a no hassle experience at Aran/Poipet nowadays for that kind of price. Are you reporting your experience from another border crossing?

2 hours ago, JimTripper said:

$500 usd is a lot. Maybe they meant 500 baht ????????‍♂️

Believe it or not, US$500 represents a decrease from the price being quoted a few years ago at Poipet. Also, this money is to overcome the barriers erected by Thai immigration. At most Cambodian crossings, the problem is on the Cambodian side (where, indeed, a 200-300 baht present is usually enough for a no hassle same day return).

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Burma Bill said:

Thank you for your observations. Was this at Thai or Cambodian Immigration? From personal experience, this was often the case at Cambodian (Poipet) Immigration. The main problem was people who entered Cambodia on an E-visa and either did not have, or mislaid, a copy to return to Immigration on exiting. For reference (Cambodian Immigration):-

In around 3 days you will receive your visa for Cambodia by email. You then simply need to print two copies of this document for your outgoing and return travel.

At Thai Immigration (Aranyaphratet), I always experienced long delays just queueing - 1 hour the shortest, 4 hours the longest.

Exactly as you mentioned at Poipet Cambodian immigration departures - many had mislaid their E-visa paperwork (fortunately I read the rules and had kept mine). It didn't help that out of 6 desks, only 3 were staffed - despite there being 6 extra immigration officers milling around doing not much except watching for people using mobile phones, talking or wearing hats - yes they even have signs saying "keep quiet". One chap in the queue was told to take off his baseball cap while queuing! At least it was air conditioned in there.   

At Thai entry side, it seemed there were many issues with the TM6 and no addreses entered or no printed Tourist Visa - the travellers were showing confirmations on mobile phones then being sent away to complete documents. At the foot of the escalators they were handing out TM6's. I thought the TM6 was done away with as entered numerous times by air recently and no TM6 required. After your comments, I feel lucky to only have waited 1hr15mins. The queue was back to the entrance door at that too. 4hrs would be soul destroying. As it was we had just 30 minutes before train departure.

Edited by soi3eddie
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, soi3eddie said:

Exactly as you mentioned at Poipet Cambodian immigration departures - many had mislaid their E-visa paperwork

Thank you again for your comments - greatly appreciated and it appears we both experienced similar holdups at both border immigration offices. The 4 hour wait (Thai-side) was horrendous (pre-pandemic) when I joined the queue downstairs at the foot of the escalator! It was a hot day and there was nowhere one could buy chilled drinking water. I now avoid this crossing and fly from Siem Reap.

Edited by Burma Bill
additional information
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 2/27/2023 at 1:35 PM, NanLaew said:

Can you post more specifics? From your brief sentence, this sounds like an add-on service provided by third-parties that's available to travelers on the Thai side BEFORE they enter Cambodia?

Yes the desk on the Thai side. I did make a mistake though as I have not been to Poipet in some time and I hear it's a bit different then the more quiet crossings. The other 2  border crossings Ban Pakard and Ban Laem as I had experience there.