British personal trainer needs £250,000 to get home from Thailand after falling from third-storey balcony and suffering horrific injuries while on holiday

webfact

14 hours ago, Sheryl said:

People often are not in a position to chose where they are taken. May be unconscious, and even if not, emergency personnel (or what passes for them here) often do as they want.

And no doubt in a corrupt to the core destination like Phuket Bangkok hospital pays the highest kickback to the EMS drivers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Adumbration said:

And no doubt in a corrupt to the core destination like Phuket Bangkok hospital pays the highest kickback to the EMS drivers.

From page1 OP:

Since a speed boat rushed the 23-year-old to Bangkok Phuket Hospital for life-saving surgery, the couple's medical bills have piled up. 

1 hour ago, jerrymahoney said:

From page1 OP:

Since a speed boat rushed the 23-year-old to Bangkok Phuket Hospital for life-saving surgery, the couple's medical bills have piled up. 

Bangkok Phuket Hospital has a dock/jetty for the speedboat?  I think not:)

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, Sheryl said:

If transported back to UK he would have to be lying on a stretcher the whole time. Which is possible to do but costly as have to pay for a whole row of seats to be removed to accommodate it (if on a commercial flight, the most affordable option). And airline would insist on a nurse or doctor accompanying. 

Expensive, but not a quarter million dollars. 

They got a quote for a private emergency evacuation jet from Thailand to England.  Commercial airliner, full row plus nurse, should start at around $25K.

2 minutes ago, NoDisplayName said:

They got a quote for a private emergency evacuation jet from Thailand to England.  Commercial airliner, full row plus nurse, should start at around $25K.

More like 35-40K in my experience. (Remember have to pay business class fee for all the removed seats as well as cost of the removal etc).  But yes, obviously much less than a chartered plane.

But perhaps still more than the most of having the surgery done in Thailand.

• Thanks 1

Thanks Ms. Sheryl for the input on WorldMed Phi Phi.

Persons throughout this topic have asked Why Bangkok Hospital Phuket? when there were other lesser cost alternatives (maybe) available..

I suspected that arrangements related to the speedboat ride to Phuket maybe had some part in the equation.

8 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

More like 35-40K in my experience. (Remember have to pay business class fee for all the removed seats as well as cost of the removal etc).  But yes, obviously much less than a chartered plane.

But perhaps still more than the most of having the surgery done in Thailand.

Looking at other surgeries available locally........coronary bypass or valve replacement under $15K, hip or knee replacement around $10K.....I would bet his required surgeries would be less than a commercial repatriation flight.

But a gofundme free flight and free surgery from NHS would be the most economical option if they're having difficulties with their insurance carrier.

34 minutes ago, NoDisplayName said:

Looking at other surgeries available locally........coronary bypass or valve replacement under $15K, hip or knee replacement around $10K.....I would bet his required surgeries would be less than a commercial repatriation flight.

But a gofundme free flight and free surgery from NHS would be the most economical option if they're having difficulties with their insurance carrier.

Coronary bypass at a private hospital is more like 20 - 30k.  And this is not including pre-op tests etc, discharge meds, rehabilitation.

In this man's case, at least a week  in hospital recuperation would be needed after.  My best case, from recent hospitalizations more or less comparable, is would end up costing another 25-35 K on top of his existing bill.   still less than repatriation but nto by too much and . have to also consider things like hotel and lodging costs for family to be with him etc.

In any event their funding age makes clear they are looking to do the surgery in Thailand. The Daily Mirror article is very misleading.  They are trying to raise 100k for care in Thailand.

• Thanks 1

On 2/28/2023 at 5:43 AM, itsari said:

The insurer would have to prove that alcohol was the root cause of the accident .  

Just the fact the insured has been drinking is not enough for the insurer to deny the claim .

The limit is quite low to lose yr license. Will it be different when you fall off a balcony.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Letseng said:

The limit is quite low to lose yr license. Will it be different when you fall off a balcony.

I should think his pilots license could be under theat . 

But seriously , if a insurance company were able to inforce that a travel insurance meant you had to be tee total for the duration of the insured's travels before any possibility of a payment in the event of a accident then 75 percent of people would not bother with travel insurance.

• Thanks 1

Just now, itsari said:

I should think his pilots license could be under theat . 

But seriously , if a insurance company were able to inforce that a travel insurance meant you had to be tee total for the duration of the insured's travels before any possibility of a payment in the event of a accident then 75 percent of people would not bother with travel insurance.

There quite a lot of space between between being legally too drunk to drive   and tee totalling.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 minute ago, Sheryl said:

There quite a lot of space between between being legally too drunk to drive   and tee totalling.

Not much space at all.

Yet really , what has driving a car got to do with falling of a verandah or any other damage one could do while traveling. There is no connection in my opinion.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, itsari said:

Not much space at all.

Yet really , what has driving a car got to do with falling of a verandah or any other damage one could do while traveling. There is no connection in my opinion.

If one's judgement and reflexes are too impaired to safely drive a car,  they would also be impaired with regard to taking basic precautions (like not leaning too fsr over a low balcony railing and the like).

You really don't see a space between no drinks at all, and 3 or more drinks taken within a single hour? (that being about what it would take for average man to reach legal intoxication level in US...I have no idea about Thai limits).

• Thumbs Up 2

2 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

If one's judgement and reflexes are too impaired to safely drive a car,  they would also be impaired with regard to taking basic precautions (like not leaning too fsr over a low balcony railing and the like).

You really don't see a space between no drinks at all, and 3 or more drinks taken within a single hour? (that being about what it would take for average man to reach legal intoxication level in US...I have no idea about Thai limits).

I see no practical or fair policy by travel insurance companies to follow them guidelines you qoute as there business would evaporate.

• Like 1

On 2/28/2023 at 4:18 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

As we don't have all the facts, we can't really comment as to why the insurance company are reluctant to pay up, but if they did the right thing and got proper insurance, it's an unfortunate situation. 

I can't see them getting 250,000 quid from strangers so I have no idea as to what can happen now.

There is no way he can fly home without an air ambulance and obviously they can't pay to stay.

However, there has to be an answer- perhaps the UK government can fly him home on a military flight.

However, there has to be an answer- perhaps the UK government can fly him home on a military flight........YOU Are Joking Ain't Yewr ?? The U.K. Government Wouldn't Give Yer The Steam off their P*s*

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Sheryl said:

It hasn't so far.

Most travelers do not plan on, or engage in,  drinking to the point that it is likely  to cause a serious accident.

And frankly no one wants to insure those that do.

Investigation of possible alcohol/drugs as a factor is not done for all accidents. Just those that logically raise suspicion. Falling off balconies is certainly in that class.

Most drinkers do what they would do at home while traveling in there free time .

If an insurance company wants those people to change there habits to satisfy the insurance policy to what you advocate then there profits will be reduced .

I say you advocate as I do not believe any ombudsman would go along with the line that if you are not legal to drive your not ready to be compensated for falling of a verandah.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, itsari said:

Most drinkers do what they would do at home while traveling in there free time .

If an insurance company wants those people to change there habits to satisfy the insurance policy to what you advocate then there profits will be reduced .

I say you advocate as I do not believe any ombudsman would go along with the line that if you are not legal to drive your not ready to be compensated for falling of a verandah.

An Ombudsman will follow the terms of the policy which is a binding contract.

An Ombudsman cannot and will not make a ruling that clearly contravenes the contractual agreement between the insured and jnsurer. They can only require the insurer to adhere to the contract.

Virtually all insurance policies exclude alcohol/drug related injuries in some manner. Some base it on blood alcohol level while others just state injuries where alcohol or drugs were  a contributing cause.  The former is at least objectively measurable.

Not a veranda by the way, anyone might trip and fall off one of those (but not incur much more than a sprained or broken snkle in mist cases).  We're talking high rise balcony. Not as easy to just fall off those. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

An Ombudsman will follow the terms of the policy which is a binding contract.

An Ombudsman cannot and will not make a ruling that clearly contravenes the contractual agreement between the insured and jnsurer. They can only require the insurer to adhere to the contract.

Virtually all insurance policies exclude alcohol/drug related injuries in some manner. Some base it on blood alcohol level while others just state injuries where alcohol or drugs were  a contributing cause.  The former is at least objectively measurable.

Not a veranda by the way, anyone might trip and fall off one of those (but not incur much more than a sprained or broken snkle in mist cases).  We're talking high rise balcony. Not as easy to just fall off those. 

A ombudsman will not just look at the policy that the insured has signed . The emphasis is on if the contract has been written according to law and see that the insured is provided with what is paid for .

Your interpretation of drink driving laws combined with walking out on a verandah do not hold water  

22 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Well yes , I was stood next to a knob high balcony of the fourth floor and I thought that I was nearly touching the balcony, but when I leant back I was less that a foot away and the momentum nearly caused me to fall over the balcony 

Guess you have to be more aware of your surroundings then. Drunk perhaps? Or just blind to reality?

33 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

Guess you have to be more aware of your surroundings then. Drunk perhaps? Or just blind to reality?

That right mate , I am a complete drunken idiot who is unaware of his surroundings and have been lucky to live this long without dieing and you are wonderful 

35 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

Sucks to live that way though in your own home.

It’s nice to relax once in awhile without looking out for the slightest threat when enjoying a beer on your balcony.

• Haha 1

Why do such please fund me requests only surge with the Brits ? The other nations have an equivalent quota of recless teens.

Thai authorities and the UK Govt. need to take the matter in hands urgently and make sure any Brit leaving the pubs of Manchester or Liverpool. has appropriate insurance at least to be shipped back home in case of any issue.

Such situations are giving a bad image against all westerners and are making full time visa issues more a hassle for people with appropriate insurance and repatriation insurance.

8 hours ago, NoDisplayName said:

I would just opt for a 1st class cabin. It’s a bed. You can sleep the whole trip.  You even get free champagne and snacks.

Who wants to fly economy with a pelvic fracture?