Finland starts construction of Russia border fence

Social Media

Just now, placeholder said:

That certainly does look more formidable than a simple fence but as the US experience shows, not enough to deter desperate people if that's the only escape route available.

Nope not enough, I'd rather there were guards every few meters along with dogs and maybe a few tanks but its better than what it was.

4 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Nope not enough, I'd rather there were guards every few meters along with dogs and maybe a few tanks but its better than what it was.

Why wouldn't one want Russians to flee? Especially young men of military age? I don't understand why the Finns are against this.

• Haha 2

Why wouldn't one want Russians to flee? Especially young men of military age? I don't understand why the Finns are against this.

Try living with them on the islands down south.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, placeholder said:

Because its a sovereign country, its already barred Russian tourists from arriving and it would rather also not have them coming illegally.

In a first, Finland’s defense ministry has blocked an attempt by Russian citizens to buy property in the Nordic state on national security grounds.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bkk Brian said:

Because its a sovereign country, its already barred Russian tourists from arriving and it would rather also not have them coming illegally.

In a first, Finland’s defense ministry has blocked an attempt by Russian citizens to buy property in the Nordic state on national security grounds.

Well, I guess if you believe that sovereignty trumps the fact that Russia is waging a war against Ukraine, then the Finns are engaging in a sensible policy. If not, then they should be encouraging draftable Russian men to leave Russia.

Well, I guess if you believe that sovereignty trumps the fact that Russia is waging a war against Ukraine, then the Finns are engaging in a sensible policy. If not, then they should be encouraging draftable Russian men to leave Russia.

Considering the average age of mobilized Russian soldiers is 35 that's a lot of entrants into Finland, over 200,000 and that's a few months ago

3 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Considering the average age of mobilized Russian soldiers is 35 that's a lot of entrants into Finland, over 200,000 and that's a few months ago

I've found links to sources that say 200000 Russians have fled Russia, but not that all or even most have gone to Finland. I'm not saying it's not so, but can you provide a link for that? I did find in aa Reuters article dated Oct 6, 2022,that  about 56,000 have fled to Finland. But linking to Reuters articles is forbidden.  It does seem unlikely that almost another 150,000 have arrived since then.

8 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

I did find this but I doubt that's what you meant:

Despite open threats from Russia, and possibly due to them, Finland has finally decided to join NATO, starting on May 15, 2022, the formal procedure for joining this military alliance. Moreover, some Finnish soldiers have openly ridiculed the Russians by inviting them to “… join 200,000 Russians who are already in Finland buried a few meters underground after your last attempt in 1939”.

https://mezha.media/en/2022/05/17/underground-helsinki-is-one-of-the-reasons-why-finland-is-not-afraid-of-russia/

1 minute ago, placeholder said:

I've found links to sources that say 200000 Russians have fled Russia, but not that all or even most have gone to Finland. I'm not saying it's not so, but can you provide a link for that? I did find in aa Reuters article dated Oct 6, 2022,that  about 56,000 have fled to Finland. But linking to Reuters articles is forbidden.  It does seem unlikely that almost another 150,000 have arrived since then.

No that was a miss read by me when I looked at a google result, it also includes Georgia and Kazakhstan

Sept: Over 194,000 Russians have fled to Finland, Georgia and Kazakhstan since Putin's call to fight in Ukraine war. Russian men, some pushing 

https://www.aljazeera.com/gallery/2022/9/28/photos-russians-flee-to-neighbouring-countries-amid-mobilisation

2 minutes ago, placeholder said:

I did find this but I doubt that's what you meant:

Despite open threats from Russia, and possibly due to them, Finland has finally decided to join NATO, starting on May 15, 2022, the formal procedure for joining this military alliance. Moreover, some Finnish soldiers have openly ridiculed the Russians by inviting them to “… join 200,000 Russians who are already in Finland buried a few meters underground after your last attempt in 1939”.

https://mezha.media/en/2022/05/17/underground-helsinki-is-one-of-the-reasons-why-finland-is-not-afraid-of-russia/

This from Oct 4 months ago

Oct 3, 2565 BE — Some 43,000 Russian citizens had entered Finland since the announcement of Russia's military mobilization

44 minutes ago, placeholder said:

That certainly does look more formidable than a simple fence but as the US experience shows, not enough to deter desperate people if that's the only escape route available.

No barrier will ever be 100%, it doesn't mean it doesn't work.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Most fled to turkey and other countries than the Nordics. Very few have the possibility to stay or want to stay in the nordic countries. 

Fellow posters, please have a little clarity on the subject.  Russians are leaving their homeworld in a desperate attempt to stay alive.  They are, for the most part, decent human beings who have no interest in becoming cannon fodder for a tyrant who cares less about their (valuable) lives.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1