I pay for something and the cashier hands the change back to my wife?

15 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:
On 3/1/2023 at 12:46 PM, Bangkok Barry said:

The immigration police came to the house after I'd applied for my marriage extension, and despite me being the only reason they were there they completely ignored me. I was invisible.

Did you talk to them in Thai?

As I said, they completely ignored me. I was invisible to them. They had no interest in talking with me at all. None.

17 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

Maybe you are but i know many foreigners who are respected even if they speak a little bit of Thai. They like you make an effort to learn the language of the country you are living in.

It amuses me when posters claim that learning Thai is essential to living in LOS- IMO it isn't, unless living in a village in middle of nowhere ( as I did ).

I did make an effort and learned enough of the language to get by. Didn't make any difference to being exploited by the Thai family.

16 hours ago, Neeranam said:

I go there regularly to pick up my youngest from the nearby school. Strangely, it's she who tells me to stop being offended by foreigners' behaviour, she says Thais don't mind.

Agree. Seems to me the main people that like getting "offended" in LOS are farangs that think they are superior beings to the locals.

• Sad 1

On 3/3/2023 at 3:39 AM, Speedhump said:

I think the word 'many' is completely wrong. I know 'many' farang here, and I don't know one that outwardly displays any worries of inferiority (which is the word you were looking for). They all seem quite at ease in their dealings with Thais. Perhaps you meant to say 'some', and to qualify it with the fact that you're not speaking from personal wide experience of seeing farang being nasty to Thais.... 

Thanks for pointing that out. Saved me the trouble.

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

LOL.

Do you think you know more about Thais than everyone that disagrees with you on here?

Respect? 5555555555555

Yes, i do. I have been here 40 years and speak the language. You don't live here anymore as you couldn't afford it. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

It amuses me when posters claim that learning Thai is essential to living in LOS- IMO it isn't, unless living in a village in middle of nowhere ( as I did ).

I did make an effort and learned enough of the language to get by. Didn't make any difference to being exploited by the Thai family.

Should have made a better choice who you hang out with.

• Haha 2

On 3/8/2023 at 12:05 PM, FritsSikkink said:

Maybe you are but i know many foreigners who are respected even if they speak a little bit of Thai. They like you make an effort to learn the language of the country you are living in.

It's the same in any country. Make an effort to speak even a few halting words and the locals usually will be very appreciative. Probably they don't speak your language unless it's English and you are in tourist area.. Except perhaps Parisien café waiters who seem to relish identifying you as a foreigner. Even if you speak to them in passable French they will insist on talking to you in English, bringing you a menu in English and only very reluctantly bring you a basket of bread ( always free in France accompanying a meal....but no butter) when everyone else gets one almost immediately.

On 3/7/2023 at 9:33 PM, Bangkok Barry said:

As I said, they completely ignored me. I was invisible to them. They had no interest in talking with me at all. None.

Consider it  a compliment to your youthful demeanor, she thinks you are with your mother.  :whistling:

On 3/1/2023 at 2:04 AM, SenorTashi said:

So what's it all about?

Is there a general 'clean out the farang' agreement across the nation?

In Thailand the wife is in control of the financials, so of course the change shall be handed to her...????

• Like 1

I am thinking mountains and molehills here.

It happens the other way round as well, if my wife is pushing the trolley through the cash desk area, she pays and while the trolley is moved forward to let other customers start their process, they hand the change to me - because I am closer - nothing "cultural" going on!

if it happened in ways described by others during my 20 years here, I didn't notice - that shows how important it  - isn't!

• Thumbs Up 1

On 3/2/2023 at 11:19 AM, Neeranam said:

It's called a 'doggy bag' and the few Thai Hi-Sos I know ask for one. 

My kids' Godmother, who owns a luxury hotel in Hua Hin, even asked here own staff for a doggy bag the other day, and lets dogs stay there.

In my experience, it's the peasant women, who marry farang that enjoy, rightfully so, to order more than they need.

That was the point I was trying to convey. People who are pretending to be more than they are.

On 3/2/2023 at 11:25 AM, Neeranam said:

What many farang don't want to address is that most Thais don't like us and don't want to deal with us unless a necessity.

That might sometimes be the case, but mostly it's about communication. They would rather take the easy way out and communicate with the Thai partner.

I'll start a new thread:

I pay for something and the cashier hands the change back to my daughter?

This began when she was about five years old and whenever we were at the local shops she'd put her hand out for my change, keep the coins in her little purse and I'd get the notes. This of course compounded as at next shop I didn't have coins and she got the change again . . .

Then a series of moneyboxes lined up in her bedroom for each denomination coin. We opened an education account with Omsin Bank and each time her money reached 1000 she'd go with me to the bank to deposit.

While she no longer goes shopping with us, still gets our coins at the end of the day. Topped up with birthday gifts from family - eg 777 baht for her 7th, now at 17 she has 82,000 baht saved towards uni expenses.

• Like 1

On 3/7/2023 at 9:30 PM, FritsSikkink said:

Thats why one should learn the language and you can do the talking yourself and earn a bit more respect.

Nah. These types will never acclimate in this manner.

Misery loves company.

• Haha 1

On 3/11/2023 at 2:29 PM, khunPer said:

In Thailand the wife is in control of the financials, so of course the change shall be handed to her...????

Yes. My wife handles all the cashier interactions. Makes it seem like the Farang isn't her cash cow and she's in charge of financial dealings. Communication is easier too. No problem.

• Like 1

On 2/28/2023 at 7:23 PM, grain said:

Happened to me countless times too, it's the Thai Rak Thai thing. I noticed it immediately when I arrive at the airport 2 weeks ago, I asked a question to a woman at a counter in the airport, my Thai wife was standing behind me, the woman at the counter totally ignored me and began talking to my wife. 

It's because women universally see men as animals not worthy of their time if a female is around. The only thing a man is good for in their eyes is to be an owned slave, an ATM.. .  The manipulated man is a good read on the topic of how women view men .. 

• Haha 1