Alcohol ban in Thailand on Monday

webfact

3 hours ago, asf6 said:

Why is it banned? Cuz the govt said so. ☺️

Why does the government ban it on such days? I have no idea and personally I don't really care but I assume that it is some kind of compromise between differing Thai thoughts on alcohol consumption and Buddhism:  Thai Buddhists that say Buddhists shouldn't drink alcohol at all, Thai Buddhists who say Buddhists shouldn't drink alcohol on Buddhist holy days (wan pra / วันพระ), and those Thais who want to drink every day. The government position seems to be to impose  quite a mild inconvenience and only ban the selling (but not consumption) of alcohol on 4 of the most important Buddhist special days: Makha Bucha, Wisaka Bucha, Kao Pansa and Asala Bucha. 

I have just found out that selling alcohol is also banned on another important Buddhist day - Ork Pansa. So, that's five important Buddhist days. 

And don't forget, alcohol cannot be sold from 6pm the day before an election until after the election has finished. 

7 hours ago, brucegoniners said:

I'm so glad to be in the USA at the moment, where there are no alcohol bans (outside of Utah).

Oh I don't know about that. I found alcohol sale regulations darned confusing in the USA. Varying from State to State, County to County, can't sell beer, can sell liquor etc etc. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Oh I don't know about that. I found alcohol sale regulations darned confusing in the USA. Varying from State to State, County to County, can't sell beer, can sell liquor etc etc. 

Yep. All of the above.

And highly controlled/regulated. 

No problem, no alcohol....we buy before and drink it on Monday... but as long as we can buy and use weed no worries anymore... Happiness to the people ( and if we out of alcohol a shop in a soi will probably be there to serve us....)

19 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

You only answered my second question. Why is having alcohol banned on only a couple or so days a year if it's against Buddhist principles/law? It either is, which means it should be banned all the time as in Muslim countries, or it isn't which means there should be no ban at all. As things are, it makes less sense than banning on election days.

How many ordinary people can afford to lose even a days pay? Would the people who make these stupid rules be prepared to forfeit one days pay? I think we know the answer to that.

• Like 1

On 3/4/2023 at 8:53 AM, Henryford said:

It's one day for Christ's sake. You are a guest here. Buy a beer for the fridge.

I am not a guest here and neither are you, we are 'aliens'. I never drink on Mondays so it will not be affecting me anyway.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Well in my neck of the woods (Samut Prakan), 711s were already not selling at 1300 Sunday. Signs up and everything.

Fortunately, Mom n' Pop disagree, as usual, so I won't go thirsty - but just as well I checked at lunchtime for a change.

Edited by isaanistical
spelling
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, JeffersLos said:

none sold at the 7-11's yesterday and today.

Tesco did. 

I've been in one 7-Eleven today and they weren't selling. Went to the next one up the road and they were. Also the supermarkets are selling today.

It is supposed to be only tomorrow that has the ban.

On 3/4/2023 at 8:43 AM, BananaStrong said:

I have to wear a uniform while driving on the left hand side of the street and wai at my boss while listening to some weird prayer message blasting in my ear!!!!!!!!!!!!

Someone holding a gun to you head.?

BKK soi 11 won't be paying any attention to this ban I'm sure.......we drank most days right through the total bans during covid lockdown......it helped that the owner's wife of one of the bars was a policeman I guess.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, pedro01 said:

a day off won't hurt any livers.

True.  But you can say that for any day.  While it might not be easy to buy alcohol today, there's no restrictions on drinking alcohol that you've already bought.  Plan ahead!

On 3/4/2023 at 10:01 AM, AnnaBanana said:

We don't even qualify as guests here.

I wasn't invited, were you?

We're more like party-crashers who have arrived too late and found  "...a banquet hall deserted, whose lights are fled, whose garlands dead and all but he departed."

That's a fair call.????????

On 3/4/2023 at 11:03 PM, asf6 said:

I have just found out that selling alcohol is also banned on another important Buddhist day - Ork Pansa. So, that's five important Buddhist days. 

And don't forget, alcohol cannot be sold from 6pm the day before an election until after the election has finished. 

How long have you been here? A week?

It's very hard to find a beer today on the main street at Kanchanburi. This morning, just for fun, I asked a few cannabis bars if they were 'weeding' today, and yes of course they are.

Strange to ban beer and not 'ganja' ? Or not ?

Just got in from a concert at a Wat off Rama 2 in Bkk. Surprised to see many boozing on the holy day and the sponsors set up a table and got the Regency out as well as the Leo., is nothing sacred. ???? Mrs said no problem as they must have bought it yesterday! Anyway great concert with ramwong dancing girls, a rarity in Bkk.