Avoid Popular Fried Dough Sticks, Iced Tea For Breakfast: Health Official

webfact

19 hours ago, herfiehandbag said:

I am sure eating Pa Thong Ko every day for breakfast is not particularly healthy. Eating them occasionally will do no harm.

I occasionally buy 10 Baht worth to eat with a cup of tea in the afternoon. Yummy.

I think the point is the condensed milk full of sugar with more sugar in the iced tea. No sugar in the tea and skip the condensed milk. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, NextG said:

I think the point is the condensed milk full of sugar with more sugar in the iced tea. No sugar in the tea and skip the condensed milk. 

The stall I favour sells warm soy milk, which you can ask for sweetened or unsweetened. The tea I brew at home.

13 minutes ago, NextG said:

Never could understand the ideals of diluting a fine tea with sugar, milk or lemon. 

Perhaps, a disgusting Anglophone trait. 

8 minutes ago, herfiehandbag said:

The stall I favour sells warm soy milk, which you can ask for sweetened or unsweetened. The tea I brew at home.

There is a dip for Pa Thong Ko. Perhaps you haven’t noticed it. Usually two different kinds. Condensed milk and Sangkhaya(Pandan and coconut milk custard). Usually the quality of the dips from the street stalls is not up to scratch. I make my own if I want it. 

• Like 1

How gross ... yuck???? processed white flour fried accompanied by a way too sugar overloaded iced tea - perfect for weight gain, smoothing out the digestive tract, NOT waking your immune system up, and promoting late onset diabetes ... lol ????????????????

Fresh fruit, or maybe fresh squeezed fruit juice with some lime of lemon juice added, natural muesli and plain natural yogurt maybe a bit of natural honey if ya need sweet.

I/we often have fresh fresh coconut water in the mornings as the delicious things are growing all around us ???? 

Protein e.g fresh, organic nice orange yolked egg/s

Maybe a bit of avocado on sourdough with the egg. I ya like salmon maybe a bit of the smoked stuff for the pure protein and the fish oil.

Past 50's cut down on carbs as they produce way too much blood sugar and make ya fat!

Don't forget a good glass or two of fresh clean H2O after waking.

Edited by Tropposurfer
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Tropposurfer said:

How gross ... yuck???? processed white flour fried accompanied by a way too sugar overloaded iced tea - perfect for weight gain, smoothing out the digestive tract, NOT waking your immune system up, and promoting late onset diabetes ... lol ????????????????

Fresh fruit, or maybe fresh squeezed fruit juice with some lime of lemon juice added, natural muesli and plain natural yogurt maybe a bit of natural honey if ya need sweet.

I/we often have fresh fresh coconut water in the mornings as the delicious things are growing all around us ???? 

Protein e.g fresh, organic nice orange yolked egg/s

Maybe a bit of avocado on sourdough with the egg. I ya like salmon maybe a bit of the smoked stuff for the pure protein and the fish oil.

Past 50's cut down on carbs as they produce way too much blood sugar and make ya fat!

Don't forget a good glass or two of fresh clean H2O after waking.

I like the same as you and being aware of what you eat does not mean eating bland or boring food but honey , where is that available in Thailand that makes you confident that it is a genuine natural non-faked honey ?

2 hours ago, superal said:

honey , where is that available in Thailand that makes you confident that it is a genuine natural non-faked honey ?

We get our honey from Makro.   Usually has a brand or 2, or 2 versions of same brand.

https://www.makroclick.com/th/products/812669-sunforest-honey-1000-g-x-2-pcs/

"Real honey doesn't mix readily with water. Just drop a teaspoon into a glass of water and you'll see that it settles at the bottom of your container. To incorporate it into the liquid, real honey needs to be stirred. Fake honey, on the other hand, easily dissolves in water without even mixing."

• Thanks 1

On 3/4/2023 at 12:21 PM, herfiehandbag said:

I am sure eating Pa Thong Ko every day for breakfast is not particularly healthy. Eating them occasionally will do no harm.

I occasionally buy 10 Baht worth to eat with a cup of tea in the afternoon. Yummy.

Eating anything everyday is not healthy

2 hours ago, kwilco said:

Eating anything everyday is not healthy

Consciously eating too much and too often is quite healthy. 

An Occidental trait that hasn't influenced traditional cultures. 

23 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

MSG isn't unhealthy though, its just the same as salt and pepper

I don't have a problem with MSG and use it in my cooking.  I also use nam pla, but not often and not much because of its high sodium content..

A friend of mine who had a heart transplant was told by his cardiologist to avoid black pepper. Something to do about it not dissolving when consumed.

8 hours ago, vandeventer said:

Thai's are into all the food that is bad for you except the chili . Sugar. fat. starch and plenty of salt in most Thai food and don't forget the MSG.  They think the food just don't taste right without these 5 ingredient's..

None of this is "bad for you" they are all essential foodstuffs. To put it in basic terms,you need food to live.It is when populations get wealthier that's one foods are over eaten. This happens particularly in the West. America fir instance has seen a fal, in average life expectancy due ti food related and overeating problems.

Thailand too has started to see this, especially amongst children.

However to single out pha thong go as a single source of the problem just shows ahow little this health official knows about his own job.

Incompetence like this is likely to do more harm than good

Just now, kwilco said:

None of this is "bad for you" they are all essential foodstuffs. To put it in basic terms,you need food to live.It is when populations get wealthier that's one foods are over eaten. This happens particularly in the West. America fir instance has seen a fal, in average life expectancy due ti food related and overeating problems.

Thailand too has started to see this, especially amongst children.

However to single out pha thong go as a single source of the problem just shows ahow little this health official knows about his own job.

Incompetence like this is likely to do more harm than good

PS MSG is a myth started by an Asian TV chef in America in the 1960s. There is no scientific evidence to suggest it is particularly "bad" for you....

On 3/5/2023 at 7:47 AM, zzaa09 said:

Never could understand the ideals of diluting a fine tea with sugar, milk or lemon. 

How about diluting it with water?

What a silly post you made. 

On 3/5/2023 at 7:47 AM, zzaa09 said:

Milk and sugar in black tea comes from the Indian tradition of Chai

Tea green tea is usually made with sugar and milk too.

coffee in Thailand is usually served with Chinese tea chaser as a palette cleanser.

Sugar is used a lot in Thai recipes because they grow it.

There is very little sugar in pha thong goh....however condensed milk usually contains a mass of it.

But all this pales into insignificance compared to a western breakfast of coffee and donuts or a full English!

PS what do you mean by "anglophone" in this context?

Edited by kwilco

On 3/4/2023 at 8:54 AM, BananaStrong said:

young kids, eat away!!!!  well, if you are also active like we were in the 1910's!!!  oh wait, maybe this generation is the laziest.... ok, maybe not.

no fried food

no sugar

no processed foods

low, low carbs

lean meat 

not as much fruit as you think

veggies until you are sick

fish

eggs

this is the life when you are old.    

absolutely helps, but it absolutely tastes worse than those bread things and 10 pizzas with a triple stack hamburger drenched in weird sauce and flushed down with a 2 liter coke and some wings with super hot sauce and a beer with the football game on and some chips just for fun while you get ready to pound some ice cream topped with everything possible just  before you have another beer and wonder where your English writing run-on sentences went..... 

You contradict yourself:

no fried food: Why?

no sugar: yes absolute agree

no processed foods: agree 200%

low, low carbs: Low carbs is a good idea

lean meat: No if you eat low carb you need to eat FAT meat, not lean

not as much fruit as you think: yes...but no one ever got fat from too many apples, mangos and bananas, even they are too sweet

veggies until you are sick: No....eating veggies is good but we aren't cows

fish: yes

eggs: yes....I still eat a 4-6 every day

8 hours ago, kwilco said:

PS MSG is a myth started by an Asian TV chef in America in the 1960s. There is no scientific evidence to suggest it is particularly "bad" for you....

No but there is no reason to put some chemicals into your food and even less with the purpose to mask low quality ingredients. So keep it out.

2 hours ago, kwilco said:

Milk and sugar in black tea comes from the Indian tradition of Chai

Tea green tea is usually made with sugar and milk too.

coffee in Thailand is usually served with Chinese tea chaser as a palette cleanser.

Sugar is used a lot in Thai recipes because they grow it.

There is very little sugar in pha thong goh....however condensed milk usually contains a mass of it.

But all this pales into insignificance compared to a western breakfast of coffee and donuts or a full English!

PS what do you mean by "anglophone" in this context?

Many years ago a speech from the former queen was about the sugar in the food....sugar does not belong into Thai food and she doesn't know why they put sugar into everything these days. It is not original.
I don't know myself....I just repeat what I heard like 10-15 years ago

1 hour ago, superal said:

Thanks but no good to me as I don't do facebook

I don’t either. I order via LINE ????

I found them during a food festival at Terminal 21. The link is just for information. You don’t need to ‘do’ Facebook to view the info. 
Maybe this is helpful:

BCDBFDEC-6DA8-47BF-9DDA-D9745A6EB5A9.thumb.jpeg.5d72299d0689a7cfe950c2d8a2eec31c.jpeg

Edited by NextG
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, h90 said:

Many years ago a speech from the former queen was about the sugar in the food....sugar does not belong into Thai food and she doesn't know why they put sugar into everything these days. It is not original.
I don't know myself....I just repeat what I heard like 10-15 years ago

Its original OK ....They have grown sugar in Thailand for centuries, it is an integral part of Thai food.....someone needed to do their research. Before cane there was palmsugar etc etc..

Thailand does have a diabetes problem as a public health issue which stems from both an I creased middle class and the problems of a society that is industrialising and part of an industrial poverty diet.

Thailand is the only sugar self-sufficient country in the region.

Now is the busiest time of year and the sugar harvest is in full swing.

But firms of sugar get mentions back at least until the Ayuthaya era

Thailand problems are no different from any industrialised country and singling out pha thong goh is a joke. Which itself can have no sugar.

Edited by kwilco

This now seems a free for all with every crank/quack dietary nostrum being dypug up and aired.

ALl, food is good for you, it stops you dying.

Weird one-sided diets are da group especially over a long term.