Training Launched To Help Drivers To Get Their Points Back

webfact

Pay money.. play on your cellphone for the time that is needed and you have your points back.. Now they have a system that doesn't work. If you lost your points it means you had a lot mistakes.. So consequences must be carried to learn a lesson ..  We all know that people keep on making the same mistakes time after time here. So maybe they will learn if the driverslicense is invalid for a time now...]

Money is the key hat opens all doors, but some should stay locked.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Andycoops said:

Totally worthless scheme.

Until people are taught to drive on the actual road with a instructor using dual controls, the manoeuvring around essentially a car park isn't going to improve anything.

Usual Thai fudge.

2 different things:

- the scheme can work out well for some persons; they might be more careful;

- you are absolutely right: driving lessons in a car park is a joke; nice for a start to get  used to a car, after that they need hours of practice on real roads with a good driving instructor in a car with dual controls.

• Like 1

When losing all the 12 points, it is clear they are persistent offenders but most of these will never be caught anyway, as there is no enforcement. Everybody is driving around with virtual impunity. 

In any event, nothing noteworthy will change. 

17 hours ago, yeahbutif said:

Okay we can all see where this is going... I money making corruption way of getting points back .as if this is the same pitiful test to get a licence in the first place .no point...  And dangerous people still on the roads 

Did anyone think the Land Transport department would cooperate with the RTP if there was no money to be made? 

We should know exactly how many, if any, people have actually had points deducted.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, yeahbutif said:

Okay we can all see where this is going... I money making corruption way of getting points back .as if this is the same pitiful test to get a licence in the first place .no point...  And dangerous people still on the roads 

Right. And proper training should have been given before a driving license was issued in the first place.

• Like 2

How about starting a scheme to teach them how to drive properly in the first place?

The driving "Test" in Thailand is a farce - I know personally of many people who pass their "test" never having driven on a main road, let alone a "motorway" or "freeway" whatever you care to call it!

I like to brag that my Thai wife passed her test first time at the age of 50 something (!) - but now she is learning how to drive!

Why don't they initiate a system like they have/had in Ireland  whereby when you are learning how to drive you display red "L" (Learner) plates on your car, and for the first year after passing your test, you have "L" plates of a different colour to signify that although you have passed your driving test, you are a newly qualified driver?

Probably too difficult for the Ministry of Transport to instal (I see the boss of that particular department has just been "relieved of his duties"), or for the Traffic Police to implement.

Edited by sambum
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, ChrisKC said:

When losing all the 12 points, it is clear they are persistent offenders but most of these will never be caught anyway, as there is no enforcement. Everybody is driving around with virtual impunity. 

Surely you get 12 points for mowing down a pedestrian on a pedestrian crossing?? So the penalty of 10000 baht is obviously a huge deterrent....  

Training launched? ....And who is going to do the training?   the same  people who  1;.. taught them to  drive 2;;  Authorised  the passing of their driving test,   .. they will never learn... mean while keep  killing others  with your so called driving  licence

5 hours ago, Andycoops said:

Totally worthless scheme.

Until people are taught to drive on the actual road with a instructor using dual controls, the manoeuvring around essentially a car park isn't going to improve anything.

Usual Thai fudge.

that is the truth  the only way  

6 hours ago, AhFarangJa said:

So, can someone enlighten me on how they will deal with the thousands upon thousands of people who do not have a licence?

Not sure about here but in UK the points would be put on any future licence that you applied for in the meantime you would be fined for driving without a licence. 

• Thumbs Up 1

This makes a total mockery of the points system.  It was already ridiculous - I believe you can get caught 3 times for drink driving before losing your licence!

We can't have those poor Thai people being prevented from driving simply because they've had a few beers can we?  The fact that they might - and often do - cause fatal accidents doesn't seem to matter.

Most countries regard drink driving as the most serious driving offence and you lose your licence for a long time if you are caught.........of course Thai drivers are above all that so there's no need to punish them so harshly!!!!

Edited by KhaoYai
  • Like 1

On 3/6/2023 at 2:10 PM, Shuya said:

To log in and see your points, you need a Thai ID card. The passport number on the driving license does not work. Are the points even reduced from your "account" if you don't have a Thai ID? Is the database only working with Thai ID's? Asking for a friend.... 

Yes, definitely a Thai ID card, not a pink card as laser number on back is required.

And yes, it does work for a Thai ID card. Search function for unpaid fines only goes back to March 2022.  So presume they are not going to try to collect those. Pity I started paying them a couple of years back in anticipation of this system.