Immigration arrest three overstaying foreigners on Koh Phangan

webfact

7 hours ago, userabcd said:

"Also arrested at a resort on the holiday island was French lady Miriam, 36, who had overstayed by six days.

She appeared to be smiling behind her mask."

I do not see the mask.

Digital mask.  The big black thing obscuring her identity.

8 hours ago, Shop mak said:

6 and 9 days overstay, Oh my ...

During the time spent locate and apprehend these 'criminals':

?? Number of women was abused.

?? Number of street thugs, sold all kind of illegal drugs.

?? Number of cars was broken into.

??? Number of cars was speeding, some created mayhem, hospitalization and death.

??? Number of motorcycles was stolen.

False equivalence 

• Confused 5
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Thingamabob said:

In some cases the police have prior info, usually the offender has been grassed by people they've upset, in others it's entirely random and on a whim. 

I don't suppose the RTP publishes stats, but out of sheer boredom, here are my suggestions: 15% were caught on a whim (not sure how that works. Maybe along Beach Road), 20% grassed up (by whom? You'd have to know somebody's visa details, but the RTP like to mention this, for a 100 reasons I can think of), 35% apprehended for another (minor) offence (most likely reason IMHO), 30% random checks? Checking what? Passport? Anyway, they only catch a few. Maybe there are only a few. Medals all round.

8 hours ago, Mickeymaus said:

The immigration police has nothing to do with your listed crimes.

Well then how about re-assigning them to better duties such as those listed there.....

I thought everybody would understand that.... Obviously not.....

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

You love using that word over and over again. Do you even know what it truly means.

Almost certainly not.  A lot of people love to use it to try to block any kind of comparison.

Whataboutism: "the technique or practice of responding to an accusation or difficult question by making a counter-accusation or raising a different issue."

So generally it means that someone is simply bringing up something bad to deflect something else, or make it seem less bad.  Clearly this isn't the case here, as the post being replied to is making some sort of "the time or resources would be better spent elsewhere, either in going after worse immigrants or homegrown criminals" suggestion.

If the comment was more on the theme of "Yeah, well Thai people do bad <deleted> too", then it might be whataboutism.  But it wasn't.

• Thumbs Up 1

25 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

Almost certainly not.  A lot of people love to use it to try to block any kind of comparison.

Whataboutism: "the technique or practice of responding to an accusation or difficult question by making a counter-accusation or raising a different issue."

So generally it means that someone is simply bringing up something bad to deflect something else, or make it seem less bad.  Clearly this isn't the case here, as the post being replied to is making some sort of "the time or resources would be better spent elsewhere, either in going after worse immigrants or homegrown criminals" suggestion.

If the comment was more on the theme of "Yeah, well Thai people do bad <deleted> too", then it might be whataboutism.  But it wasn't.

I think another instance where, for example, you're challenging the accuracy or factuality of the other party, it's quite legitimate to say " ... sure, but what about...". There's never ever just one side to an argument. It's also a tad more polite and understated than just coming out with an expletive and a flood of invective. On this forum, of course, that is impossible.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Wow.  Where did it say that it took five IOs to find them?

It doesn't 'say' how many, but looking at the pictures, it would appear it took 4 for the woman and 6 for the Italian guy, one would assume as they are in the picture they had something to do with the investigation?

• Thanks 2

12 hours ago, Shop mak said:

6 and 9 days overstay, Oh my ...

During the time spent locate and apprehend these 'criminals':

?? Number of women was abused.

?? Number of street thugs, sold all kind of illegal drugs.

?? Number of cars was broken into.

??? Number of cars was speeding, some created mayhem, hospitalization and death.

??? Number of motorcycles was stolen.

Overstaying a visa is against immigration law. Joker! How's this in your Home- Country!?????????????

3 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

I know this will have been said many many times but why do the Thai police (of any flavour) feel the need to show photos of their exploits/victims?

Could it be that they are simply not trusted and they think they need proof of their 'success stories'?

Seems the Frenchman refused to sit for his 'group photo' and objected when it was obtained surreptitiously.  Can't say I blame him.

This are Immigration officers, Einstein????????????