Belgian Man Dies After Allegedly Slipping and Falling While Trying to Stop an Argument in Patong

webfact

image.jpeg

By Goongnang Suksawat

A Belgian man has died after he allegedly slipped and fell with his head making contact to the ground while he was trying to stop his friend who was arguing with a Thai man in Patong.

The Patong Police told the Phuket Express that they were notified from the Patong Hospital that a 31-year-old Belgian man had been pronounced dead at the hospital (The Phuket Express is withholding his name pending embassy and family notification.).

The victim’s unidentified friend told Patong police that he and the victim were arguing with a Thai man at an apartment in Soi Nanai in Patong. The Belgian man was trying to stop a heated verbal argument between his friend and the Thai.

Full story: https://thephuketexpress.com/2023/03/08/belgian-man-dies-after-allegedly-slipping-and-falling-while-trying-to-stop-an-argument-in-patong/

image.jpeg
-- © Copyright The Phuket Express 2023-03-09

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

Again a foreigner arguing with a Thai.......and the foreigner slipped and contacted the ground... yes sure... there is more but we will never know... I slipped in my kitchen a few weeks back and I bruised my toes and a bruise on my head....Little bit unbelievable that this man died only by slipping

• Confused 5
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, cdemundo said:

Wow, sad.

Seems crazy that a 31 year old would hit his head so violently from a slip and fall.

Not doubting the report, just surprised.

If your head is 6ft from the floor, falling directly backwards onto concrete with your noggin is more than enough to crack your skull.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

If your head is 6ft from the floor, falling directly backwards onto concrete with your noggin is more than enough to crack your skull.

Yes, intuitively obvious to the most casual observer, doesn't need to be said.

No mention that he fell backwards.

Usually a person has a protective response although obviously if he fell over backwards he may have been unable to break his fall or protect himself from harm.

Even still, such an injury to a conscious young person is rare.

poor unlucky guy.  way too young to be taken especially due to an altercation. At least the thai didn't call for 5 helpers like they normally do.

Edited by steven100

8 hours ago, cdemundo said:

Wow, sad.

Seems crazy that a 31 year old would hit his head so violently from a slip and fall.

Not doubting the report, just surprised.

A head is a head, what ever one's age.........????

• Thumbs Up 1

Some States in Australia have a "One Punch Law" which allows for a long prison sentence for fatal king hit attacks. It's more common than many may think as drunks/druggies/bouncers can swing at the unaware.

Cricketer David Hookes died this way.

Had to believe the Belgium was running and slipped over as instinct should have saved him.

• Confused 1

7 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

Again a foreigner arguing with a Thai.......and the foreigner slipped and contacted the ground... yes sure... there is more but we will never know... I slipped in my kitchen a few weeks back and I bruised my toes and a bruise on my head....Little bit unbelievable that this man died only by slipping

Try reading the report.

The man who died was NOT arguing with a Thai, but trying to stop his friend, who WAS the one arguing with the Thai person.

10 hours ago, ezzra said:

Has to be a lot more to the story then just 31 years old falling to the ground with his hand forward. healthy young people don't die that easily.

Not really, hitting your head on concrete etc can be very deadly especially the weak back of the head. Really sad and his friend will now carry this guilt for the rest of his life. I had 2 friends in my youth "teens" they were inseparable and would die for each other. However one day they got into a fight at home and one brother picked up a golf club hitting his brother once on the head "Dead!" He was never the same again and I would be very surprised if he is still alive as he carried so much guilt. 

8 hours ago, transam said:

A head is a head, what ever one's age.........????

https://www.who.int/news-room/fact-sheets/detail/falls

"Adults older than 60 years of age suffer the greatest number of fatal falls."

"Age is one of the key risk factors for falls. Older people have the highest risk of death or serious injury arising from a fall and the risk increases with age."

Another thing about aging, you are never too old to learn.

Other factors may however impede learning.

• Haha 1