Pigeons <deleted>ting on my balcony: fake crows, a net?

Steven55

There are loads of ‘suggested solutions’ from fake pigeons, fake cats, fake falcons... hanging CD’s (which is supposed to startle them)...    none of which works... 

What does work: A net to prevent them from access... Spikes to stop them standing on the balcony on the first place (then the evil little b’stards would dive bomb I’m sure !)...   Neither a net or spikes is an attractive solution... (edit - spikes as in the post above).

Our solution, daily cleaning (we had a live in maid at the time).....   

Crafty beggars... I never got near ‘em with a BB gun !!! (pigeons not the maid).

I’ve since moved and now have the issue with a couple of cats ‘spraying’ my car / motorcycle and front of house...  I’ve bought sprays, ultrasonic cat repellants... nothing works...

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

There are loads of ‘suggested solutions’ from fake pigeons, fake cats, fake falcons... hanging CD’s (which is supposed to startle them)...    none of which works... 

What does work: A net to prevent them from access... Spikes to stop them standing on the balcony on the first place

I tried to help a friend of mine with his pigeon problem and we bought a fake Falcon, which didn't work, a fake owl which hooted and flapped its wings and that didn't work, and another flying bird of prey of some description, and that didn't work either!

I suggested the spikes to him and he's done nothing about it yet, or of course there is always some netting which a neighbour has used with great success, however this friend of mine has also done nothing about this, so I'm sure the pigeons are saying, "bombs away" as they continue to foul his house.

17 minutes ago, parafareno said:

why dont you give some free vodka to russian neighbour and he will watch out for any pigeons...they have nothing to do anyways

They are Russians indeed (but it looks they don't drink a lot)!
They have been away since Febr 2020, came back for a month this year, left 28 Feb again...
During the almost 3 years they have been away, 2 pigeons lived there and put 2 cm of sh*t on their balcony!
Before the Russians left on Feb 28, they put a net around their balcony. Which made the pigeons decide to move to.... my balcony! Last night they started to build a nest!

I guess a net will be the solution.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, Steven55 said:

They have been away since Febr 2020, came back for a month this year, left 28 Feb again...
During the almost 3 years they have been away, 2 pigeons lived there and put 2 cm of sh*t on their balcony!
Before the Russians left on Feb 28, they put a net around their balcony. Which made the pigeons decide to move to.... my balcony! Last night they started to build a nest!

Or cut a big hole in the Russians balcony net so the Pigeons can go back home !!!! :drunk:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Water pistol, or better still one of those pump up garden sprays, the pressure and range is further, plus turn up the nozzle and you've got a <deleted>ting remover.

Use to use one when I had similar seagull issues living by the coast in UK. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Steven55 said:

i think they pigeons smell leftover vodka gorbatchev and their flight abilities were impaired....so they moved to your part which is easier to <deleted> on without any alcohol vapors

Edited by parafareno

On 3/10/2023 at 5:27 PM, richard_smith237 said:

Or cut a big hole in the Russians balcony net so the Pigeons can go back home !!!! :drunk:

Smart idea... In these days of a Russian initiated war against a sovereign country, I guess it is a legal retaliation to allow flying 'biological' sh*t weapons to bomb Russian territory!

Try a couple rubber snakes on the balcony or put some speakers out there and crank it up from inside for a few seconds several times a day to scare them. They will most likely move on. There is also a spray called Bird-B-Gone that you can probably buy online. Seems to be very effective. 

Other than that maybe get a ladder and take down the net the Russians put up. They won't be back soon and the pigeons will probably thank you personally. ???? 

• Like 1

Fake snake and laser pens haven't been said to fail so far. Anyone tried these?

I used to do work at a college campus and they just resorted to allowing a guy to hunt them with a pellet gun on certain Sundays. Nothing worked I guess.

• 4 weeks later...

Mrs. Shrdlu was convinced that hanging CDs would deter the pigeons that used to hang around our house.  I wasn't so sure since we did not know what music genre they despised and had not seen any pigeons carrying CD players anyway.

We ended up blocking off any eaves where they could nest and putting out spikes on most horizontal surfaces where they could perch. No pigeons now.

• Like 1