Will Thailand’s Long Term Resident Visa work for you?

webfact

1.  So the US embassy or Thai officials or some contracted company can't or won't check or verify a US citizen's income verification for the old income affidavit of only 2,000 USD a month but they are going to peek and poke for 1,000,000 USD in USA assets?

2.  18 months process?

3.  ● Wealthy Pensioner (LTR-P): Retirees aged 50 years and older who have.

an annual pension or stable income

How large a pension is needed?  would USA social security of $40,000 a year satisfy that?

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

If somebody met the listed requirements, it seems like the Thai Elite Visa would be a decent option also, and with few if any strings attached.  The eliminating the annoying and silly 90 day reporting would be nice, but the Elite folks in general will handle that as long as you are in a few cities and locales in Thailand.  And at the moment the Elite visas don't have any health insurance requirements.  Just some details to consider

Edited by gk10012001
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

55 minutes ago, JCCR6 said:

From my understanding it’s still cancelled if you change jobs, but can’t find any solid answers on this. 

No clarity on this. The annual check with immigration supposedly only validate your residence and health insurance. Keep quiet about change of employer and keep the visa.

The LTR visa is renewed after 5 years. One would expect that your employment is validated at that time.

There are no refunds of the visa fee's, so if it is cancelled after 5 years, you paid 10,000 THB per year. Still not bad.

4 hours ago, Bim Smith said:

18 months for the approval process. I am surprised that many applied. Of course not all will be accepted either. What a waste of time.

I would expect this is mostly corporate employees who spend money like it's nothing, or wealthy people that just are looking for a bit more convenience at any cost.  No normal person is going to do this and I assume that's by design.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, gk10012001 said:

1.  So the US embassy or Thai officials or some contracted company can't or won't check or verify a US citizen's income verification for the old income affidavit of only 2,000 USD a month but they are going to peek and poke for 1,000,000 USD in USA assets?

2.  18 months process?

3.  ● Wealthy Pensioner (LTR-P): Retirees aged 50 years and older who have.

an annual pension or stable income

How large a pension is needed?  would USA social security of $40,000 a year satisfy that?

No.  This scheme ("Wealthy Pensioner") requires at least $80,000 income per year and I believe at least $250,000 in liquid assets.  If I made $80,000 in my pension Thailand would never be on my radar.  The other requirement is health insurance.  For my future visa possibilities the 5 year Elite Visa at 600,000 Baht($17,000+) seems like a more clear and minimal BS route.  It is a lot of money but the application process for the Elite seems like less of a hassle and less BS.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bim Smith said:

18 months for the approval process. I am surprised that many applied. Of course not all will be accepted either. What a waste of time.

Not a waste of time for some people.  In 8 years my step-daughter won't be able to stay in Thailand as my dependent because she'll be 21.  At that point I would happily invest 1 million USD for her to be able to stay (assuming she was). 

The rule that kids cannot be dependents after they turn 21 is terrible as it means kids who've grown up here and no know other country have to leave not only Thailand but their home and their parents!

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

I meet the requirements as a pensioner, but as with covid, the requirements regarding heath insurance are childish. I have worldwide coverage until I pass away, but I don't see my health insurance certifying my coverage is "at least 50k USD". Do the Thais understand how health insurance policies work? I get a percentage refund which differs according to the nature of the expense (dental, medications, vaccines, doctors fees, hospital, operation, ...).  The percentage may be as high as 100% and the total refund in one year may be turn out above 50 USD should I be seriously ill or have an accident. But there's no way my insurance is going to certify "we shall pay 50k USD on demand to any Thai hospital that needs the money". It simply doesn't work that way.

Does it say whether you recoup the application fee if you get rejected?

• Like 1