Opposite of a Cheap Charlie

1 hour ago, ed strong said:

Cheap charlies hang around the bars after closing, they aint paying no bar fine lol

Hmmm. Many years ago I used to do that a few times to be with a girl I really liked from Sahara in Soi Cowboy. The barfine was a huge ripoff at the time so I just waited around the corner at the 7-11 and we met up around 3:20. I still gave her plenty for the night so I didn't consider myself a CC, but I resented being ripped off by the bar. It was one of the "Arab" bars known for their over the top charges. Earlier in the night I would drink at and have fun with the girls at several of the other bars in Cowboy or Nana. I never spent much money in the "Arab" bars.

23 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

must be joking 1500 short time beach road now

Yes they may ASK that....But that sure does not mean they will get that.....

A few years ago like 2 or 3  700 ST was not unusual.....

1500 ST beach road is just dumb....1000 absolute max..Any more is just a dumb tax....I think about 800 is fair..

Edited by redwood1

I guess I am a Cheap Charlie. I almost never buy “lady drinks”. If I do, it has to be a beer. Not some super cheap watered down tequila for double or triple price. And if you do, you will get pestered for another and another, a round for her and a few “friends”, the mamasan expects one. There goes your bankroll!  I’d rather be a Cheap Charlie than having the entire vibe ruined with everyone tapping on my shoulder like beggars holding out a tin cup. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, freedomnow said:

or the ones that lay out their monthly living costs/expenses on here to show they are loaded.....= new money vs quiet old money.

There really isn't an upside to giving people the impression you are wealthy.  You'll attract potential scoundrels likes flies to doo-doo. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, redwood1 said:

1500 ST beach road is just dumb....1000 absolute max..Any more is just a dumb tax....I think about 800 is fair..

to be fair it depends on the lady, 1000 is more normal now, but the diamonds in the rough are asking 1500, but of course the rougher, older and hardened are less

• Like 2

12 hours ago, redwood1 said:

Isn't the "fair" value best assessed as the time between when you come and she goes?

Baht/minute?

12 hours ago, keysersoze276 said:

I guess I am a Cheap Charlie. I almost never buy “lady drinks”. If I do, it has to be a beer. Not some super cheap watered down tequila for double or triple price. And if you do, you will get pestered for another and another, a round for her and a few “friends”, the mamasan expects one. There goes your bankroll!  I’d rather be a Cheap Charlie than having the entire vibe ruined with everyone tapping on my shoulder like beggars holding out a tin cup. 

It's not all about you. If a girl is having hard times it's nice to buy her a drink or give her 100 tip - you know that odd word 'compassion'?  aside from that I normally only buy drinks for girls that I want to keep me company - think of it as renting their time on the bar stool - they are there working for their family.

Certainly if I want to bar fine she gets a few drinks.

On 3/14/2023 at 10:22 AM, KhunLA said:

I'm a CC, and wear it well.  Though will spend money, on me & mine, once in a while.

Wife is even more a CClette, than myself, so I let her pay restaurant bills.  Since working in restaurant & bar tending, I consider myself a good tipper 20% or more, since always appreciated a good tip.   Wife also worked in restaurant, and she apparently gives what she received in that past life, almost zip ????

Not a flash person, but have more than enough, and for me & mine, that's enough.  Although poor compared to family & peers ????

Drive family car, small house (1bdrm), non performance scooter, so no flash here.   No real social circles, so nobody to impress.  Her family, siblings have way more assets, so they certainly wouldn't be impressed.

No neighbors to impress ... ???? 

And the dog, doesn't care. 

Being anti-social seems to be a good investment strategy  ????

I'm nowhere near a cheap Charlie but if you tip 20% or more in Thailand you are INSANE Eddy or KOOKY Kuhn LA. 
even coming from the states I find 20% or more tip for average service to be something I simply won't pay anymore. You know the price of a meal has go up substantially in the USA and 15% of a meal for two that cost say $70 a few years ago and 15% of that same meal costing $100 now gives the server more $$. Now some are advocating for 25% tips lol.  Let the freaking restaurants pay them more per hour. They will still want 20% plus. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alex8912 said:

I'm nowhere near a cheap Charlie but if you tip 20% or more in Thailand you are INSANE Eddy or KOOKY Kuhn LA. 
even coming from the states I find 20% or more tip for average service to be something I simply won't pay anymore. You know the price of a meal has go up substantially in the USA and 15% of a meal for two that cost say $70 a few years ago and 15% of that same meal costing $100 now gives the server more $$. Now some are advocating for 25% tips lol.  Let the freaking restaurants pay them more per hour. They will still want 20% plus. 

That's why I don't tip here, I leave it to the wife.

I had a hard time spending less than $100 at a restaurant, for two, in the United States and that was 25 years ago.

Two or three times a week, and my dining budget was probably my highest monthly expenditure.

Looking back, I find that really strange because now, 1000 baht at a restaurant seems expensive.  I think I've come full circle, kind of wish I had all that money from the states eating out.

Didn't have kids or expensive hobbies, so I guess that was my pastime.

Edited by KhunLA

22 hours ago, KhunLA said:

That's why I don't tip here, I leave it to the wife.

I had a hard time spending less than $100 at a restaurant, for two, in the United States and that was 25 years ago.

Two or three times a week, and my dining budget was probably my highest monthly expenditure.

Looking back, I find that really strange because now, 1000 baht at a restaurant seems expensive.  I think I've come full circle, kind of wish I had all that money from the states eating out.

Didn't have kids or expensive hobbies, so I guess that was my pastime.

Darn. $100 bucks on a dinner for two 25 years ago??  You def are not a cheap Charlie. But come on. Those were some nice fancy maybe NYC restaurants or you can drink a lot during dinner! 

6 minutes ago, alex8912 said:

Darn. $100 bucks on a dinner for two 25 years ago??  You def are not a cheap Charlie. But come on. Those were some nice fancy maybe NYC restaurants or you can drink a lot during dinner! 

Not really, mid priced, if that, $7-8 appetizer, $20-25 main, $5-7 dessert X 2, and throw in a few cocktails each, or couple bottles of wine, depending on mood, and hitting $100 is easy + that $20+ tip.

Seems to be a little class warfare going on here.

Some people do happen to have a lot of money. Some like to show off by ringing bells in bars or slowly climbing out of the Lambo Aventador so that the maximum number of people can see them.

Others are discreet, but will open their wallets as the situation demands or the spirit moves them. You might not notice them, though the wealthy often have an air of confidence because they know they're not going to ever go without. Low stress can show on the face.

Frankly, while great wealth does take some effort and skill, a very large portion is a result of dumb luck....where, when and under what circumstances one was born. Born a male in the West of parents with decent IQs, and the odds of becoming wealthy increase exponentially. Those with great wealth who are at least a bit introspective realize this fact, and thus don't mind sharing a little bit of good luck with others who appeal to them or who provide a good service or experience or are simply in need. No reason to be jealous. Perhaps some also realize that the old adage is true: you can't take it with you.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Walker88 said:

Seems to be a little class warfare going on here.

Some people do happen to have a lot of money. Some like to show off by ringing bells in bars or slowly climbing out of the Lambo Aventador so that the maximum number of people can see them.

Others are discreet, but will open their wallets as the situation demands or the spirit moves them. You might not notice them, though the wealthy often have an air of confidence because they know they're not going to ever go without. Low stress can show on the face.

Frankly, while great wealth does take some effort and skill, a very large portion is a result of dumb luck....where, when and under what circumstances one was born. Born a male in the West of parents with decent IQs, and the odds of becoming wealthy increase exponentially. Those with great wealth who are at least a bit introspective realize this fact, and thus don't mind sharing a little bit of good luck with others who appeal to them or who provide a good service or experience or are simply in need. No reason to be jealous. Perhaps some also realize that the old adage is true: you can't take it with you.

A cheap charlie is one who have money, and take advantage of the situation because he can. Stingy is another word used. 

Never heard a girl (Thai) complain about someone who do not have much money, and often  emphasize with them as well care for them.