Poll: - Research suggests that Thai drivers are superior to Expat drivers!

Crossy

Are Thai drivers are better than expats?  

123 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

18 minutes ago, Crossy said:
22 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Enjoy your break!  No criticisms please.  At least he didn't correct anyone's grammar!

I did comment on an early spelling error :whistling:

I know you did.  Recognising the intended humour and severe sarcasm of "you're"  OP, I was being a little sarcastic.

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Love It 1
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I was recently in a provincial ski area in Japan in a van driven by a Thai friend.

The sign posting was not clear and we were following google maps which took us the wrong way down 100m one way street. 

I would have panicked, stopped, done a 15 point turn on the narrow road to face the correct direction then trace back to the junction and follow a different (correct) route. 

But, our chilled driver simply ignored the one-way sign (we were already committed) followed google maps without any issue whatsoever. 

In short - I’d have made things more difficult, he, simply continued on and got away from the one way street more quickly which IMO was the better option after making a mistake. 

Anecdotal - yes, but mistake happens and sometimes not giving too may ‘f£$K’ about the rules is a better option !... 

How many cars did he hit coming the other way before you got out?

Edited by nauseus
+ got
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, sherwood said:

No spatial awareness and total disregard for the rationale of cause and effect.

I do not allow my lady to operate the brush cutter, any distraction and she would swing around and take you off at the knees!

Love her to bits of course.

19 hours ago, quake said:

Ok, explain the 25,000 dead every year.

Maybe you could explain this frst:

https://www.gov.uk/government/statistics/reported-road-casualties-great-britain-annual-report-2021/reported-road-casualties-great-britain-annual-report-2021#:~:text=an estimated 27%2C450 killed or,similar rate compared with 2019

2021 figures.  27450 KSI in UK (for those who prefer not to follow the link)

PH

18 hours ago, blackshadow said:

i have over 50 yrs driving experience and am qualified to pass comments on thai driving....they would not/never pass a Uk driving test end of story !!

How many expats living here would pass a UK driving test now?

PH

2 minutes ago, Phulublub said:

Road deaths 2022

UK,             1,760 2022

Thailand, 14,737 2022

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, transam said:

Road deaths 2022

UK,             1,760 2022

Thailand, 14,737 2022

Yes, but the UK has (edit:  Had.  with the ongoing NHS crises this may be a thing fondly remembered) a far superior and much quicker response times for emergency services reaching accidents and many that here would be K rather than SI if that were not the case.

PH

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Phulublub said:

Yes, but the UK has (edit:  Had.  with the ongoing NHS crises this may be a thing fondly remembered) a far superior and much quicker response times for emergency services reaching accidents and many that here would be K rather than SI if that were not the case.

PH

Nice try, but no cigar............????

19 hours ago, blackshadow said:

i have over 50 yrs driving experience and am qualified to pass comments on thai driving....they would not/never pass a Uk driving test end of story !!

A litle bit wrong ... MrsJ passed her UK driving test first time .........

2 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Enjoy your break!  No criticisms please.  At least he didn't correct anyone's grammar!

what break ? a break would come from criticizing the mod's action regarding AN and its members. 

my comment had to do with the human beings taking foolish actions while living in thailand. nothing to do with their mod powers. 

Edited by stoner
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

I was over in Australia earlier this year.

For a western country with good education there was some really crappy drivers on the roads over there..... Victoria BTW, not sure on rest of country.

You will find crappy drivers all over the world, but many in Thailand that is for sure

20 hours ago, quake said:

Ok, explain the 25,000 dead every year.

80% are bike accidents and there are millions of bikes on the roads here. Clearly this sheer number increases deaths. How many of thee scooters are on the roads in the UK, USA, etc... That, combined with poor training and disregard for the law, account for a lot of these deaths. 

It was when I was popping out to see some mates at the same time the InLaws were heading back from an afternoon over at our place that I encountered the most astonishing example of “I’m the only person in the world”.... 

Being lovely folk the InLaws were insistent at dropping me at the BTS instead of me getting a taxi to it... as we approached the BTS, FIL was in the middle lane and was going to drive past the BTS, so I told him its here, this is the BTS I want to take.... So he stopped !!... Middle Lane and blocking all traffic behind !!!

I had to tell him to pull over and I’d get out at the side of the road..  I figured he’s either a very clever man and wants rid or me, or he can’t drive for s#it !!!!... 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, DavisH said:

80% are bike accidents and there are millions of bikes on the roads here. Clearly this sheer number increases deaths. How many of thee scooters are on the roads in the UK, USA, etc... That, combined with poor training and disregard for the law, account for a lot of these deaths. 

2,3,4,6,or 8 wheels, it doesn't matter, they are all road users....

3 minutes ago, DavisH said:

True that...  And when you subtract the motorcycle deaths and evaluate the remainder (4 wheels or more) deaths and place them on a ‘per-capita’ perspective there are more road deaths in the USA than Thailand... 

Don’t believe me ?...  run the stats yourself... 

USA  Population: 331.9 million

Thailand Population: 71.6 million.

USA Road Deaths: 42,915 (2021)

Thailand Road Deaths: 14,737 (2022 - official figure) - WHO Estimate 25,000 

USA Motorcycle Deaths: 5,579 deaths per year (2020 figures).

Thailand Motorcycle Deaths: 76% Motorcyclists 18,750 deaths per year.

USA Vehicle Deaths per Capita: 11.3 (vehicles of 4 wheels or more)

Thailand Vehicle Deaths per Capita: 8.7 (vehicles of 4 wheels or more)

Of course this rudimentary evaluation doesn't include facets such as mileage per per vehicle occupant which would be more accurate (but the info is a lot more difficult to impossible to source)... But the stat does highlight that to ‘drive’ Thailand is not quite as ‘dangerous’ as we often believe when evaluating the raw information. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Funny how those with no rational argument interpret opposing opinions as "apologist" and then run away.

I’m surprised that they allow you to get away with your

baiting posts.

You seem to be a master of baiting.

But that’s ok, no shame in that, so they say.

But I need to point out.

We can all say what we like within forum rules.

But your choice of words (run away) not very nice, implies a little bit more.  The PM function works very well.

I look forward to more of your skills, being a master of baiting, on other threads

Good day.

Have a good one.

20 hours ago, Bangkokhatter said:

Maybe you should learn the Thai highway code, the driver entering the roundabout has right of way.

Wrong.

Perhaps YOU should read the Thai Highway Code.

Documents in both English and Thai attached, just to confirm what others on this thread have already told you.

English version: Sect. 73, p.27.

Thai version; Sect. 73, p.31/84

Road Traffic Act (English) BE 2522 (1979).pdf

Road Traffic Act (English) BE 2522 (1979).pdf Road Traffic Act (Thai) BE 2522 (1979).pdf

Edited by MartinL
Tried to remove "unavailable" attachment but cannot.

superior on what, driving Tuk Tuk or tractors, maybe and maybe that's the only thing they may be able to be a little better and yet I still doubt 555

BTW, I didn't select any choice as the above options were not on your list  555

Edited by Mavideol

1 hour ago, Crossy said:

I wish we had more Mods. with a sense of humor.

It must be a tough job being an AN Mod. with all the cranky members complaining about this and that.

Keep up the great work and thanks. ????