Brake failure: Thirteen tourists heading for religious festival hurt

webfact

image.jpeg

Daily News Thai Caption: Accident on pilgrimage

Thirteen tourists heading for a religious event to make merit in Chanthaburi province, eastern Thailand, were injured yesterday when their vehicle ran into a roadside wall.

The verdict of the accident was brake failure.

The mechanic said there was proper maintenance but a review is underway.

Victims were all taken to the local hospital. Five were allowed home the more seriously hurt were transferred to other area hospitals, reported Daily News.

The governor of the province promised every assistance to the victims.

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2023-03-15

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information
  • Confused 1

Strangely enough, brake failure does happen. I am not saying that is the case here but.....

I had a new car back in the late '80's when ABS was relatively new.

The car would handle a 'strange' way now and again (not often) when I was braking.

I took it to the garage a number of times and every time they said 'nothing wrong with the brakes'.

One morning, driving down a steep hill and I had to brake hard. The car spun round and it ended upside down in a ditch.

Garage collected the car, repaired it and then phoned me up to complain.

'Why didn't you tell us that there was a problem with the brakes - we just took it for a test drive and crashed!'.

Duh!

They finally found the problem. One side of the car's ABS would seize up now and again.

I never drove it again - changed it for a different make.

A very poor and misleading OP; the vehicle was 'off-road' and fortunately veered into a bank rather than a significant drop-off down the mountainside, heading to Wat Khao Prabat (Khao Khitchakut National Park, Chanthaburi) a temple which is open 8 weeks per year; transport is by 4WD pickup on a steep clay track.

Visitors are limited to 24,500 per day over this timeframe, buses leave from Bangkok Bus Terminal (Chatuchak) at 8.00pm aiming to arrive around midnight followed by a 4WD trip to the midway point, shrine/worship there then on the second stage, followed by a 1.5km walk for the ideal sunrise views however vehicles and people arrive 24hrs a day.

There are approx 100 4WDs in operation.

Pic from Matichon News

spacer.png

We've been but chose a daytime trip, and quite an adventure it was.

This from a travel blog:

While the traffic runs from the left side in Thailand, the rules are completely different on the road up to Khao Phra Bat mountain.
Along the 5 km long road up to the top, the traffic shifts to both left or right before the sharp bends so that the vehicles driving up can easily turn the bends.
The left/right shift happens along the longer and straight stretches, signposted well.
Both driving up and down happens at relatively high speed, so, it is very “exciting” and at the same time a bit scary to see how cars suddenly change left/right while meeting cars driving in the opposite direction.

spacer.png

Edited by gomangosteen
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, stoner said:

brake failure is a total legit thing....the issue is how it happens. in most cases there is a fairly good reason. 

Yeah, in thailand its usually a result of not pressing the brake pedal 

• Thumbs Up 1

38 minutes ago, stoner said:

its a little more complicated.

Not really,  when that excuse is thrown out without proof or even inspection first and its done repeatedly . While brakes can fail its rare, brakes just don't fail with that type of frequency. 

4 hours ago, Dan O said:

Not really,  when that excuse is thrown out without proof or even inspection first and its done repeatedly . While brakes can fail its rare, brakes just don't fail with that type of frequency. 

ok 

1 somchai with little to no driving ability or training

2 somchai with truck that is not maintained

3 somchai driving like a lunatic

4 somchai with a truck overloaded to totally unsafe levels

5 somchai truck not able to carry that weight as per manufacturer handbook

6 somchai

7 somchai

8 somcahi

almost all of these points are addressed in one way or another in most western countries. 

point is there are very legit reasons why the brakes fail so often on somchais journey. to you and me these things are common sense. to somchai....well you know. 

anyways of course the brakes are going to fail when you are barreling down the highway with an overloaded truck with poor maintained brakes and a vegetable behind the wheel. then another idiot pulls out to make a you turn and you have no choice (because you can't drive or make critical decisions) but to slam on your pathetically maintained brakes and they simply fail due to you having 3 tones of extra cargo in your truck. 

i could probably give dozens of scenarios like that that happen quite frequently here. 

so yes.  its a very legit thing for thailand when you factor all of those things in. 

in no way am i justifying any of it. i am simply stating facts. 

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, stoner said:

ok 

6 somchai

7 somchai

8 somcahi

almost all of these points are addressed in one way or another in most western countries. 

point is there are very legit reasons why the brakes fail so often on somchais journey. to you and me these things are common sense. to somchai....well you know. 

anyways of course the brakes are going to fail when you are barreling down the highway with an overloaded truck with poor maintained brakes and a vegetable behind the wheel. then another idiot pulls out to make a you turn and you have no choice (because you can't drive or make critical decisions) but to slam on your pathetically maintained brakes and they simply fail due to you having 3 tones of extra cargo in your truck. 

i could probably give dozens of scenarios like that that happen quite frequently here. 

so yes.  its a very legit thing for thailand when you factor all of those things in. 

All those quoted issues are not brake failure. Poor judgment and poor judgement isn't brake failure. Certainly dangerous acts cause accidents but thats a whole different issue

55 minutes ago, Dan O said:

All those quoted issues are not brake failure. Poor judgment and poor judgement isn't brake failure. Certainly dangerous acts cause accidents but thats a whole different issue

connect the dots dan. all of those things lead to the huge amount of brake failures that happen here. 

1 hour ago, stoner said:

connect the dots dan. all of those things lead to the huge amount of brake failures that happen here. 

HAHAHAHA those things cause accidents no doubt but they are the cause and not brake failure. 

On 3/16/2023 at 3:20 PM, stoner said:

ok 

6 somchai

7 somchai

8 somcahi

Yet you are clearly oblivious where and in what scenario this happened.....

• Thumbs Up 1

On 3/16/2023 at 4:18 AM, gomangosteen said:

A very poor and misleading OP; the vehicle was 'off-road' and fortunately veered into a bank rather than a significant drop-off down the mountainside, heading to Wat Khao Prabat (Khao Khitchakut National Park, Chanthaburi) a temple which is open 8 weeks per year; transport is by 4WD pickup on a steep clay track.

Visitors are limited to 24,500 per day over this timeframe, buses leave from Bangkok Bus Terminal (Chatuchak) at 8.00pm aiming to arrive around midnight followed by a 4WD trip to the midway point, shrine/worship there then on the second stage, followed by a 1.5km walk for the ideal sunrise views however vehicles and people arrive 24hrs a day.

There are approx 100 4WDs in operation.

Pic from Matichon News

spacer.png

We've been but chose a daytime trip, and quite an adventure it was.

This from a travel blog:

While the traffic runs from the left side in Thailand, the rules are completely different on the road up to Khao Phra Bat mountain.
Along the 5 km long road up to the top, the traffic shifts to both left or right before the sharp bends so that the vehicles driving up can easily turn the bends.
The left/right shift happens along the longer and straight stretches, signposted well.
Both driving up and down happens at relatively high speed, so, it is very “exciting” and at the same time a bit scary to see how cars suddenly change left/right while meeting cars driving in the opposite direction.

spacer.png

Thankyou, hopefully those that are randomly posting without knowing the scenario might now understand.

• Thumbs Up 1