Thailand to encourage owners of illegal guns to register without punishment

snoop1130

Thai-PBS-World-logo-5.jpg

The Cabinet approved a Firearms Bill on Tuesday, which is aimed at encouraging people in possession of illegal firearms to register them within 180 days, so they may possess them legally.

The bill also contains an amnesty for those in possession of war weapons, or weapons which cannot legally be possessed by unauthorised individuals in Thailand, if they surrender them to the authorities within 180 days.

The surrendered war weapons will become the property of the state and their former owners will not be compensated.

Full Story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/thailand-to-encourage-owners-of-illegal-guns-to-register-without-punishment/

Logo-top-.png

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2023-03-17

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

Why not:

- Amnesty to register.

- Hand in and watch made unusable for thos who want that.

Decades back in Oz, authorities and the public quite surprises how many folks handed guns in to me rendered unusable:

- Barrel bent. One end in a vice, steel rod put maybe 10 cm into the barrel and end of steel rod bashed. Barrel bent and very dangerous for the rifle / shotgun to be fired. 

- Firing / loading mechanism area bashed with sledge hammer or squeezed in a big vice with wedges to force total misalignment and crushing.

I watched it happen when my grandather handed in a  .22 rife and a shotgun.  

Edited by scorecard

3 hours ago, scorecard said:

Why not:

- Amnesty to register.

- Hand in and watch made unusable for thos who want that.

Decades back in Oz, authorities and the public quite surprises how many folks handed guns in to me rendered unusable:

- Barrel bent. One end in a vice, steel rod put maybe 10 cm into the barrel and end of steel rod bashed. Barrel bent and very dangerous for the rifle / shotgun to be fired. 

- Firing / loading mechanism area bashed with sledge hammer or squeezed in a big vice with wedges to force total misalignment and crushing.

I watched it happen when my grandather handed in a  .22 rife and a shotgun.  

The main difference being in the intellect of here and there. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

14 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The Cabinet approved a Firearms Bill on Tuesday, which is aimed at encouraging people in possession of illegal firearms to register them within 180 days, so they may possess them legally.

Have a one month amnesty to hand them in no questions asked to get them off the streets.

Why let people who own them now illegally keep them?

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Criminals please register your weapon so you can commit crimes with a legal gun.  Meanwhile we'll take your picture, fingerprints and personal information.  Yes, they will be registering in droves.

• Thanks 1

They really come out with some stupid things in this country.  Sure .....  every god damn kid on a motorbike is going to come forward to register their illegal gun ...   

who as an adult would state something as silly as this .....   !!    unbelievable   !!

• Like 1

More daft stuff.............????

What should have been said is.

"Hand in your unregistered firearms, and you will not be prosecuted. If you do not hand them in and are caught with one, you will serve a mandatory one year in prison, or 100,000bht"......:clap2:

• Thumbs Up 1

On 3/17/2023 at 5:03 PM, snoop1130 said:

The surrendered war weapons will become the property of the state and their former owners will not be compensated.

Cannot see many coming forward , unless they greatly increase  the penalties for owning 

said weapons after the amnesty 

regards Worgeordie

3 hours ago, steven100 said:

They really come out with some stupid things in this country.  Sure .....  every god damn kid on a motorbike is going to come forward to register their illegal gun ...   

who as an adult would state something as silly as this .....   !!    unbelievable   !!

You're forgetting what country it is being discussed.  It's all theatrics. TiT.

• Like 1

It's not the handful of weaponry that is in private hands that should be questioned or an issue, but instead the security of military armories and what not that should take priority. 

It's not as if Thailand is the U.S., where every sorted nutter has access to such and running rampage among the masses every other week [rather commonplace there]. 

While I see the problem with anyone being able to own guns, I see the benefit as well. 
While it, without any doubt, leads to problems like mass-shootings, on the other hand it provides the individual from encroachment of the state.

Someone above mentioned Australia. Good example. I doubt that they could have put their citizens into these COVID concentration camps and do not even allow them to leave the country if most of them would be armed.

A gun is a carriable warranty certificate that the state does not interfere more with your life than he should.

Surely mass-shootings should not happen. But being honest everyone would realize, that most people would then just use other legal ways to mass-kill in psychiatric emergency situations. You can stab people with knifes, scissors, use a crossbow and so on.

Instead of disarming the population to prevent situations like mass-shootings, we better should improve society and humanity. Something I often miss especially in Thailand, to me this country is feeling often very superficial and cold when looking at the society, in contrast to the "Land of Smiles" it is supposed to be, I see it as a country with suppressed emotions and structural issues in the society.

If Thai society could allow people to express their emotions so they do not come out by force all at once, just by this small little structural behavioral change, then there would be no need to disarm the population.

To me it seems like the above mentioned issues in Thai culture are being used as a scapegoat to disarm the population, which is historically proven to ALWAYS leads to an encroaching of the people in power over time.

The solution is not to take the guns from people, it is to give them reasons not to use them unnecessarily against innocent humans and help them if they develop thoughts like that.  

• Sad 1

Some says it's based on current US move in order to remove weapons from people that they will not fight back to the government corruption.

Well, I have no idea how it will apply to Thais, probably won't have much effect.