Is Starbucks the rightful King of the Coffee Universe?

LaosLover

I sadly conclude that it is.

The Thai copycat brands are tepid, too foamy, and bland. Roastry8 in Chiang Mai tastes like plastic. 

Starbucks costs more -600 delivered versus 500 in an ultra-slow Thai place around the corner. But it's a bigger serving.

Their seating areas are infinitely nicer and actually draw a few mythical global nomads.

Edited by Rimmer
Inflammatory removed
  • Haha 2

SBUX success is due to: Branding.  It is a cool and hip place to be seen.  SBUX knew about the power of Social Media posts way before it became an important thing for young people.  Also, most SBUX locations invite people to stay awhile and pull out your laptop.  In Los Angeles I saw many actors and wannabee actors, screenwriters spend countless hours "working" in a SBUX after buying a cup of coffee. This was in the 1980's and 1990's.  SBUX in essence was the first Co Working space.  

A lot of the credit for SBUX success can be attributed to Howard Schultz.  

It has become the 7-11 of coffee shops, pretty much globally, like it or not.  I tried a knock-off cafe in KL, payed app. US$4 for the same local coffee that costs 50 cents.

In Luxor, Egypt I had a most impressive cup of coffee in (brace yourself!) McD's.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, LaosLover said:

Their seating areas are infinitely nicer and actually draw a few mythical global nomads.

"A few mythical global nomads"? I couldn't find a seat to drink a coffee in Treminal 21 yesterday due to the people occuying two or four seats at tables working on their computer, holding business meetings or simply asleep with their head on the table, most with dregs of some liquid in their cups, I gave up and went elsewhere.

This seems to be the norm in Starbucks and they seem happy with it, I do wonder how they manage to make a profit, but i suppose they must, seems a strange business model.  

• Like 1

I swear to god that Starbucks today is more watered down. I remember drinking it in the past and it wasn't as bad as it is today. 

Personally I have nothing against this brand as they have some unique product in their gift shops and seats are actually comfortable compared to Thai offerings, but I won't be drinking their coffee anymore.

No.  The coffee is poor standard and expensive.  It was a great idea 30 years ago, now its dated and avoided by all real coffee lovers. I suspect that most people go to a SB to work on their mobiles and laptops on nice seating, in aircon, not much to do with the standard of the cheapo coffee. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I, like many, were addicted to Starbuck's but it has gotten bad in my opinion. I haven't gone there in nearly 2 years. They take "call in" orders and place those above someone standing there looking them in the eyes. The call-in won't arrive for maybe 10 minutes. They should serve the people standing in front of them first. It's called customer service. The last time I went there I thought I'd avoid the whole waiting-in-line thing and ordered a regular coffee. She rang it up and I paid and then she stood there. I asked "are you going to get my coffee, it's right behind you". Her reply... "your order is in the que" meaning I had to wait for the barista to make 7 other orders before I got mine even tho the person I was talking to was 2 feet from the coffee dispenser. NEVER again!! I should have been in and out. Instead, I waited over 10 minutes. There are many mom-and-pop shops I prefer to go to. They truly appreciate the customers and treat us well.

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, theoldgit said:

"A few mythical global nomads"? 

I live in Nimman, Chiang Mai, where there are more pretend-global nomads making YouTube then there are bums sitting in possible global nomad-seats. At the co-work space across from my condo, they might see half a dozen people willing to part with 150 baht for a day-long sit.

That includes a coffee, but a bad one, like from a machine at a cheap Pattaya buffet. I see Grab delivering Starbucks there all of the time. Which proves my case:

Such global nomads as actually exist love Starbucks, whether they are at the career level of a 150 baht a day outlay or not -as do the many, many people wonking about pretending to be global nomads.

Global nomads -and their would-be cohorts- drink a lot of coffee, all over the world, If they vote for Starbucks, that's the equivalent of seeing Indian people eating in a curry house in Bradford.  The connoiseurs have voted.

Gave up drinking coffee in starbucks about 10 years ago. Never again. It seemed impossible for them to make a proper cappuccino.

SB prices were then trending on the very high side, shudder to think what they are now.

Many smaller coffee shops around Bangkok now making perfect cappucinos for 50 baht and they dont need to be told to put less milk.

• Like 1

I am grateful to see them at the airport, but no way is Black Canyon as nice a coffee as Starbucks.

There's Doi-something tribal brand I see at CMX airport that I've tried to woke myself in to liking too. I'd love to prefer a local brand. You know, stick it to the man.

But I like a coffee to be bracingly hot. And it is apparently against Thai health and safety rules to go above armpit temperature.

I want it to be a little bitter; most local coffee is in the very middle of the mid-range on that.

We have a Finland Republic chain store here (it's 6 feet away from the Starbucks), it's in the SB ballpark, but is going more for the dessert-date crowd, not the global gonads.

26 minutes ago, Doctor Tom said:

They dont pay tax. 

How does tax enter almost every discussion online nowadays?

I think they purchase and sell goods and taxes are charged. They provide employment and employees are paid who pay tax.

Edited by userabcd
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

My wife makes many different types of Bondcafe' bean coffee's in Historical park Suk from hot coffee's to ice coffee's, I never realized how many different coffee's  there were. 

Hot Cupacino is my favorite.

No Seven Eleven is the best.  They have a wide range of coffees at the self service area and a fully working bar as well.  That's some serious coffee dedication.  14 baht for a strong coffee.

One tip is to add a few ice cubes before you put the coffee in.  Now it is perfect to drink.

The Americano is good as well.  Super strong and as black as Jesus.

Edited by markclover
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

11 minutes ago, markclover said:

No Seven Eleven is the best. 

The Americano is good as well.  Super strong and as black as Jesus.

Full marks as a value pick. Usual grudges of luke warmness and low grade caramel coffee mate option instead of room temperature milk remain.

If cost is not an issue, do you want a coffee from 7/11 or Starbucks?

I def agree that you're paying for the brand, and often the prime location.

I disagree that their coffee is substandard. It sort of is the standard.

Have tastes shifted to less bitter coffee? When I was younger, grapefruit was bitter-er than it is today. 

Do you like coffee at the level of caring where the beans are from and if they are of single origin? I had a friend visiting who brought back dozens of bags of coffee from Brazil and Africa that were 50+% off US prices.

Edited by LaosLover

That's for two large cappa's and two breakfast items.

And we throw the Grab guy 40 baht.

Some people move to Thailand for cheap sex. We moved here for cheap, delivered breakfast (would cost double+ back in the states).

• Haha 1