Police stopped a Black couple in Tennessee – and took their children

onthedarkside

14 minutes ago, stoner said:

is this part of the story ? i didnt see it. 

I read the dark tinted windows as an infraction otherwise why mention. Something was significant about the tinting.

Regardless, there is more to this story. I'm sure we will soon know what happened and why.

Edited by SunnyinBangrak

Just now, Bkk Brian said:

As of July 1, 2021, an adult can carry a handgun, openly or concealed, in Tennessee without a permit. Or does that not count for this case?

i would think that a gun in a car is a serious concern for child services regardless of said guns legality ?  maybe it is possible the police saw this as a huge concern as well. and as another poster pointed out there could be a lot more to this story that we are not privy too. 

for example. weed may be legal but can child services take kids from a home they see is unfit for children. like in the case of alcohol etc ? 

sure they can like they have done for a long time. white or black. 

carrying a gun and drugs in a car with 5 children is hardly good parenting choices.

but as you know opinions are like a holes right. 

• Love It 1

1 minute ago, stoner said:

i would think that a gun in a car is a serious concern for child services regardless of said guns legality ?  maybe it is possible the police saw this as a huge concern as well. and as another poster pointed out there could be a lot more to this story that we are not privy too. 

for example. weed may be legal but can child services take kids from a home they see is unfit for children. like in the case of alcohol etc ? 

sure they can like they have done for a long time. white or black. 

carrying a gun and drugs in a car with 5 children is hardly good parenting choices.

That's why I stick to the facts

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 3/19/2023 at 9:01 AM, SunnyinBangrak said:

Judge people on character and actions, not by the color of their skin. 

You are correct sir.!

Tinted windows was the probable cause for the traffic stop.

It's called a pretexual stop.

So how could the cops see faces inside.?

Reality:

Out of state plates.

Policing for profit.

Cops harass poor white folks all the time too.

Cops in USA are totally out of control.

They violate the Constitution routinely.

A true police state.

Amen.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, stoner said:

can child services take kids from a home they see is unfit for children

Yes.

They wrongfully take kids away

all the time.

They never get in trouble for it.

The more they take away

the more money the govt gives them.

Simple.

America.

28 minutes ago, stoner said:

is this part of the story ? i didn't see it. 

Allegedly, tinted windows.

Crime of the century.

Cops are predators.

Citizens are prey.

That's the system.

Trump being arrested over Stormy Daniels.?

Gimme a break.

Top to bottom, corrupt.

The article stated they were stopped for having too dark a tint on their windows, if that was the case the color of the occupants would not have been seen prior to the stop. 

• Love It 1

On 3/19/2023 at 9:58 AM, Scott said:

In my early years I spent several years working in Child Protective Services.  That was many years ago, but the system was definitely rigged against people of color.  If a judge was contacted for an emergency order to remove children and they were minority-race children, the order was always given.  A lot of times, the paperwork was waived until the next day.  

Fortunately, the rules under which we operated were to NEVER remove children unless they were in imminent danger of being harmed.  If there were any family member capable of caring for the children, they were released to them pending a hearing. 

CPS is expected to make every effort to keep the family together and out of the foster care system.  Legal problems by the parents are almost never a reason to remove children from custody. 

I find it interesting that in the state that I live, children are seldom removed from the custody of white parents.  There is a huge drug problem and children are allowed to remain with their parents right up until the time they are incarcerated.  

So, let's contrast this story with how Teresa Giudice, from one of the Real Housewife series, and her husband, Joe.  They were charged with a host of crimes including failing to file taxes, conspiracy, mail fraud, bank fraud and wire fraud.  

They were both convicted on 41 charges of fraud and sentenced to prison.  Teresa was sentenced to 15 months in a federal prison; Joe was sentenced to 41 months.  

The couple had 4 daughters.   In order to keep the family together, Teresa served her sentence first and Joe took care of the children.  After she served her sentence, he went to prison. 

I doubt you will find many cases of minority people being given that kind of treatment.  

Those children were in no imminent danger; they had a custodial parent who was not incarcerated or unable to care for them.   They should never have been removed from her without a full custody hearing.  

https://ncsacw.acf.hhs.gov/research/child-welfare-and-treatment-statistics.aspx

Seems over the top to me as well. 

Why did the cops search the car? Did the car smell like weed smoke, was there roaches in ashtray that were visible? Understand kids taken is main story but many details still need to come to light.

These data indicate that the prevalence of parental alcohol or other drug (AOD) abuse as an identified condition of removal of children and placement in out-of-home care has increased from 2000 to 2019. Data from 2000 show a prevalence rate of 18.5%. This increased to 38.9% in 2019, an increase of 20.4%.

Edited by metisdead
Odd formatting reset to normal.
  • Love It 1

2 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

https://ncsacw.acf.hhs.gov/research/child-welfare-and-treatment-statistics.aspx

Seems over the top to me as well. 

Why did the cops search the car? Did the car smell like weed smoke, was there roaches in ashtray that were visible? Understand kids taken is main story but many details still need to come to light.

These data indicate that the prevalence of parental alcohol or other drug (AOD) abuse as an identified condition of removal of children and placement in out-of-home care has increased from 2000 to 2019. Data from 2000 show a prevalence rate of 18.5%. This increased to 38.9% in 2019, an increase of 20.4%.

Yes, children are removed from homes and placed in care if the parents are incapacitated due to their drug or alcohol abuse.  The fact that they are in possession is far from sufficient to remove children and neither of the parents were being held or charged with intoxication from drugs or alcohol.  Based on that, the mother was quite capable of caring for the children. 

The exponential rise in opioid (and meth) addiction has resulted in a lot of people ODing.  As the rate of overdoses goes up, so will the number of cases referred to CPS for placement.  This was hardly the case.  

• Thanks 1

This headline is just race baiting. If the race of the people was caucasian or asian be worth noting.  NO.  The purpose of inserting it is to create the impression that they were treated differently becuase of their race.  

Now you had a police officer I suspect traveling from behind the vehicle to be stopped.  With headrests today it is a challenge to see the skin color of the person driving or passengers. 

Now have the same incident with the headline 

Police stopped a couple in possession of drugs and a gun in Tennessee – and took their children

Kind of gives a different inference to the reader doesn't it

You wonder why you have so much crime, because police officers are reluctant to do their jobs for fear of being labeled as racist.  

Let the system work,  I suspect there is more to this story than the OP and as said, such headlines are meant to inflame and create division among people.  If the police officer was wrong, they should be punished.  If the people in the vehicle are proven guilty of something that warranted their children being removed then they too should suffer the consequences of their actions RACE BEING IRRELEVANT

PS.  I did a bit of searching on this headline.  Now some of these "facts" may shed a different perspective. 

A Tennessee Highway Patrol officer pulled them over for "dark tinted windows"  and traveling in the left lane while not actively passing," according to Feb. 17 citations issued to the couple.  
( now in many states having too dark a tinted window is not allowed and if they were darkened it is more than likely the police officer could not have ascertained the race of the people in the car)

Williams and Clayborne then submitted to hair follicle tests, though it's unclear from court records why they were asked to take a second drug test and who asked them to do so.

Within minutes, a rapid "stat" hair follicle test came back positive for methamphetamines, fentanyl and oxycodone in both parents. Clayborne and Williams both deny using the substances.

( now mind you the driver had already taken one drug test and was found to have marijuana in his system)

The follicle test showed both the father and the mother had methamphetamines, fentanyl and oxycodone in their system.  

Yep, sure want these people to be on the road with 5 children, nothing to see here. 

Edited by Longwood50
  • Sad 1
  • Love It 1

7 minutes ago, Longwood50 said:

This headline is just race baiting. If the race of the people was caucasian or asian be worth noting.  NO.  The purpose of inserting it is to create the impression that they were treated differently becuase of their race.  

Now you had a police officer I suspect traveling from behind the vehicle to be stopped.  With headrests today it is a challenge to see the skin color of the person driving or passengers. 

Now have the same incident with the headline 

Police stopped a couple in possession of drugs and a gun in Tennessee – and took their children

Kind of gives a different inference to the reader doesn't it

You wonder why you have so much crime, because police officers are reluctant to do their jobs for fear of being labeled as racist.  

Let the system work,  I suspect there is more to this story than the OP and as said, such headlines are meant to inflame and create division among people.  If the police officer was wrong, they should be punished.  If the people in the vehicle are proven guilty of something that warranted their children being removed then they too should suffer the consequences of their actions RACE BEING IRRELEVANT

Now find a story where a white couple was picked up for a small amount of marijuana and a gun in the car and their children were taken away with no hearing.  I already posted one to show how far the justice system will go with a white couple.  

If you are a member of a minority, whether it is black, native American or Hispanic, you have a much greater risk of having your children removed. 

According to national data, roughly 37 percent of the children in foster care are African American despite the fact that African American children make up only 15 percent of the children living in the United States.

For a better picture of the numbers:

In 2021, there were 168,063 white children in foster care in the United States. This is compared to 86,645 Black or African American children and 85,215 Hispanic children who were in foster care.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Is there concrete evidence this event took place because of skin color and bigotry? Other than for grift and race-baiting purposes is there any reason to state the race of those involved? I wish we could stop this bizarre and misleading identity politics the left are so obsessed by.

"Judge people on character and actions, not by the color of their skin. "

Yeah trust the legal system when government and state create and sentence situations like this, it's a travesty:

"Florida man serving a 400-year sentence walks free after 'flawed' trial testimony discredited: report. The Innocence Project of Florida found several factors that it said supported Holmes' case"

Prosecutor wanted 800 years, judge got it down to 400 years, shows how law enforcement and the legal profession abuse the power of their authority.

Edited by userabcd
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Scott said:

Now find a story where a white couple was picked up for a small amount of marijuana and a gun in the car and their children were taken away with no hearing.  I already posted one to show how far the justice system will go with a white couple.  

The follicle test showed both the father and the mother had methamphetamines, fentanyl and oxycodone in their system.  Officers searched the couples car and found a gun and 5 grams of marijuana 

Tell the complete story.  Not just isolated facts that are a misrepresentation by ommision. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Love It 1

1 minute ago, Longwood50 said:

The follicle test showed both the father and the mother had methamphetamines, fentanyl and oxycodone in their system.  Officers searched the couples car and found a gun and 5 grams of marijuana 

Tell the complete story.  Not just isolated facts that are a misrepresentation by ommision. 

Mother tested negative for all drugs at the scene. Father tested positive for marijuana. They later were given an inadmissible test which turned up positive for everything for both of them. That test was disposed of and the results can't be challenged. So, the state said, "you failed, I took a bad test and you failed, no you can't see it, I threw it out." Aren't falsifying evidence, deprivation of parental rights, false imprisonment, etc federal crimes also? FYI this amount is a misdemeanor.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Longwood50 said:

The complete story is that the follicle was carried out a week later after the children had already been taken into care.....................

"An instant hair follicle test performed on the parents at their first court appearance, about a week after the children were taken into custody, was a key element in DCS’ arguments for why the children should remain in DCS custody. However, a Coffee County court administrator, speaking to the Lookout broadly about the county’s instant hair follicle testing, said the tests are “inadmissible” in court."

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Scott said:

If you are a member of a minority, whether it is black, native American or Hispanic, you have a much greater risk of having your children removed. 

According to national data, roughly 37 percent of the children in foster care are African American despite the fact that African American children make up only 15 percent of the children living in the United States.

For a better picture of the numbers:

Image result for What percent of children in foster care are minority?

In 2021, there were 168,063 white children in foster care in the United States. This is compared to 86,645 Black or African American children and 85,215 Hispanic children who were in foster care.

To be fair if this was a white family, I doubt it would be a story. If it was a white family we'd in all likely hood never hear of it.

• Love It 1

22 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

Not wrong side of road, they were in fast (passing) lane and not passing. Which is stretching things unless they were impeding faster traffic.

Maybe the passing lane in Tennessee is for whites only. This unstated rule has not been banned yet?

3 hours ago, stoner said:

i see weed and a  gun in a car with 5 children a little differently. some general assumptions of the character of that kind of human can be clearly drawn regardless of color or any of that. i also notice you are avoiding giving your opinion on the matter. 

what do you think of parents in a car with weed and a gun ?  

Where was the gun being stored? Was the gun loaded? And, of course, in Tennessee, it's perfectly legal to be in possession of a gun. So how would that constitute legal grounds for taking away their children?

As for weed, if parents were to lose their children for having weed in their possession, should they also have their children taken away for having alcohol in their possession? Are these substances dangerous just because they are in the possession of individuals? How many tens of millions of parents would liable for having possession of either of these substances?

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Where was the gun being stored? Was the gun loaded? And, of course, in Tennessee, it's perfectly legal to be in possession of a gun. So how would that constitute legal grounds for taking away their children?

As for weed, if parents were to lose their children for having weed in their possession, should they also have their children taken away for having alcohol in their possession? Are these substances dangerous just because they are in the possession of individuals? How many tens of millions of parents would liable for having possession of either of these substances?

did you read the part where they tested for hard drugs ? regardless of its admissibility or time they had the drugs in their system. which means odds are it is not their first time taking the drugs. yes i know this is an assumption but i'm willing to bet the bank i'm not wrong. all of these factors don't bring into question the quality of parenting they might provide ? 

you're supposed to be the compassionate ones ? good grief. 

guns weed hard drugs bad driving. sound like tip top parents....and so many rushing to their defense. 

so ill ask you as well. what are your thoughts on having drugs and guns in the car with 5 children ? sound parenting choices or ? 

would you allow that in your family ? 

• Sad 1
  • Love It 1