Samui Immigration change bank statement terms for 'retirement' extension

March 2023:  Anyone noticed that Samui Immigration have slipped in an additional comment on the 'Document Required' form?  In item 6 which requests a copy of a bank book and statement, added is now the condition "must be done on the same day of application at the immigration" . 

So, if taken at face value (and why not since they have taken the trouble to specifically add it, I checked the same form form last year which did not say that) one now has to join a queue at the bank and then later the same day join a queue at Immigration.

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

43 minutes ago, graham66 said:

In item 6 which requests a copy of a bank book and statement, added is now the condition "must be done on the same day of application at the immigration" . 

You mean "bank letter" 

Most offices accept one up to 7 days prior to application.

Samui is just a nonsense immigration office. 

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

And people mock me for paying an agent 8K pa to not have to deal with this BS... 

I go to the bank, get a 3 month statement (This year maybe not as I'll be using a term deposit account) hand it to the agent alongside passport, photo, copy of lease... Come back the next day... See you in 12 months. 

Simples... 

+1

• Thumbs Up 1

16 hours ago, graham66 said:

Document Required' form?  In item 6 which requests a copy of a bank book and statement, added is now the condition "must be done on the same day of application at the immigration" . 

Bank book update is no problem for most. But if 12 month statement is required same day it’s impossible 6 months statement you can get from any BKKB branch But 12 month will take  few days

because only done at headquarters. 

Always the case in Chonburi. I get the manager's letter on the day before because it takes time to prepare, then return the next day to make a transaction and get copy of last page of bank book which only takes a short while. Not an option of course if you live some distance from the bank/IO.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, DJ54 said:

Bank book update is no problem for most. But if 12 month statement is required same day it’s impossible 6 months statement you can get from any BKKB branch But 12 month will take  few days

The OP, used term "bank statement"....he was referring to the "bank letter".....

Happened to me in January at Samui IO. It's not a new thing.

Got the 12 month statement, and bank letter as I always do from K-Bank and asked staff to update my passbook. Got to immigration and notice last entry in said book was a while back. Had to go back and deposit THB100, update passbook again,  then go and get another photocopy.

I have asked for a 12 month statement for at least three years now, after being turned away at immigration with a 3 month statement and having to pay the bank again to do the 12 month.

Edited by phetphet

13 minutes ago, GreasyFingers said:

You need a bank statement as well as the bank letter up here, both done on the same day. Maybe you are confused.

It's impossible to obtain 12 month bank statements on same day with some banks. 

Bangkok Bank being one. 

No idea of where "up here" is

56 minutes ago, phetphet said:

Happened to me in January at Samui IO. It's not a new thing.

Got the 12 month statement, and bank letter as I always do from K-Bank and asked staff to update my passbook. Got to immigration and notice last entry in said book was a while back. Had to go back and deposit THB100, update passbook again,  then go and get another photocopy.

I have asked for a 12 month statement for at least three years now, after being turned away at immigration with a 3 month statement and having to pay the bank again to do the 12 month.

So your fault for not making a deposit or withdrawal before updating book, most of us are completely aware that rule. Although bank staff could have pointed that mistake of yours out to you.

2 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

So your fault for not making a deposit or withdrawal before updating book, most of us are completely aware that rule. Although bank staff could have pointed that mistake of yours out to you.

Yes. Totally my fault. I should have checked the passbook before leaving the bank.

As for the 12 month statement, I believe it was introduced around the time they changed the rules about THB 800,000 being kept in the banks for three months after application, and three months before renewal.

Another particular Samui requirement is the need for a medical certificate (issued no more than seven days before application for renewal of extension.)

1 minute ago, phetphet said:

Yes. Totally my fault. I should have checked the passbook before leaving the bank.

As for the 12 month statement, I believe it was introduced around the time they changed the rules about THB 800,000 being kept in the banks for three months after application, and three months before renewal.

Another particular Samui requirement is the need for a medical certificate (issued no more than seven days before application for renewal of extension.)

OMG now that IS a new one on me, what would they expect to find that would prevent an extension, so many here are severely disabled and can barely breath some with mental health problems. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DJ54 said:

I do like this:

Get the 12 months statement from my local BBKB office (takes 7 days).

At the day of my aplication, I ask for a 3 months statement and the bank letter with a copy and update of the bank book.

Hop in my car and go to Immigration.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

It's impossible to obtain 12 month bank statements on same day with some banks. 

Bangkok Bank being one. 

No idea of where "up here" is

The bank statement only needs to be 3 months so can be done on the spot.

3 hours ago, Mike Teavee said:

And people mock me for paying an agent 8K pa to not have to deal with this BS... 

I go to the bank, get a 3 month statement (This year maybe not as I'll be using a term deposit account) hand it to the agent alongside passport, photo, copy of lease... Come back the next day... See you in 12 months. 

Simples... 

I do the above, but hand it all to the IO and it costs me nothing. Passport back with under consideration the very same day. Even more simples.

2 hours ago, brianthainess said:

OMG now that IS a new one on me, what would they expect to find that would prevent an extension, so many here are severely disabled and can barely breath some with mental health problems. 

It's been a requirement for at least five years.

If I recall correctly, originally only acceptable if obtained from one particular clinic. That didn't last long, and now acceptable from most places.

My last one consisted of, "Hold your arms out straight in front. Now turn them palms up. Ok. Pay over there."

At Chiangmai Immigration the "Bank Letter" supporting an "Extension to Stay" application can be up to but not exceeding seven days old but you are still required to do a "Bank Book" update on the day of the application.

usually do a "Bank Book" update anytime after midnight the day before, therefore it's dated on the date of the application and submit my "Extension to stay" application as early as possible.    

Edited by Grumpy Old Man
Update

The morning before I leave for CW, I transfer the last year's interest from my Krunsri Mee Tae Dai account to another such that the balance in the account is 999,999.99. 

I go to CW, get the queue, get a coffee at S & P, walk over to Krunsri , get the letter and update the book-bank, go get copies of the book-bank, find a good spot to finish my coffee....

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, GreasyFingers said:

The bank statement only needs to be 3 months so can be done on the spot.

Think you will find for income method requires 12 months of statements.

Also for money in the bank method for extensions retirement that also requires 12 month of bank statements. 

3 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Think you will find for income method requires 12 months of statements.

Also for money in the bank method for extensions retirement that also requires 12 month of bank statements. 

For the income method the letter and copy the book-bank.

Edited by Yellowtail