Will immigration allow my son to travel abroad with me? No time to go to the Amphur 800km away

I have an imminent trip abroad (9 days, tickets bought) with my 6 year old son (wife is Thai and not going).

For some reason I believed that I could get this parental letter of consent (หนังสือให้ความยินยอม) stamped here at the Banglamung Amphur, but they're blatantly refusing to do it and wants us to go do it in Ubon (tabien baan is registered there). We're out of time, loads of things to get ready.

I called a local law office here and they're asking 7000b to do/stamp the paper themselves, but I don't know if I'd be just throwing money away as it wouldn't be the official Amphur stamp. 

I can provide every possible document that shows that it's my kid and I'm in good terms with the wife - copies of every document, can even provide video evidence of her saying that the kid can travel with me. The kid's surname is the same as mine and he looks like me. 

The question is, traveling with all the other supporting documentation and even the possibility to video call my wife - how likely is it for immigration to make problems about it?

Edited by FarangFB

Knowing the Thai immigration and the way they operate, they will give you problems especially when a child is involved, best to bite the built pay the 7k and hope for the best or travel the 800k.

Edited by ezzra

14 minutes ago, ezzra said:

Knowing the Thai immigration and the way they operate, they will give you problems especially when a child is involved, best to bite the built pay the 7k and hope for the best or travel the 800k.

I would if I had any guarantee that the 7k would work. It's just a law office here in Pattaya, it won't be the official Amphur stamp.

11 minutes ago, VinnieK said:

Why don't you send you Mrs in the amphur?

Thais with thais, may be able to work a compromise out..cough..cough

The local Amphur here? The guy seemed very inflexible.

7 minutes ago, FriendlyFarang said:

Where is your wife now?

Here with me in Pattaya

Just now, Woof999 said:

Buy your wife the cheapest international ticket from the same airport at roughly the same time on the same day, no checked luggage. She can be with you and your son as you go to the immigration desk on departure. She does not need to take the flight.

I'm not saying to make it look like your son is travelling with your wife, but he then boards with you, as that would be naughty at best.

I don't think I would even make it to immigration that way, she would be refused at the Check in for not having a visa.

Just now, FarangFB said:

I would if I had any guarantee that the 7k would work. It's just a law office here in Pattaya, it won't be the official Amphur stamp.

The local Amphur here? The guy seemed very inflexible.

Here with me in Pattaya

I don't think I would even make it to immigration that way, she would be refused at the Check in for not having a visa.

Her ticket can be to anywhere international. Siem Reap, Phnom Penh, Vientiane etc.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Woof999 said:

Her ticket can be to anywhere international. Siem Reap, Phnom Penh, Vientiane etc.

Quite ingenuous lol, I'll keep that in mind but I think this could upset the immigration officer once they realize what I did.

• Thumbs Up 1

42 minutes ago, Woof999 said:

Buy your wife the cheapest international ticket from the same airport at roughly the same time on the same day, no checked luggage. She can be with you and your son as you go to the immigration desk on departure. She does not need to take the flight.

I'm not saying to make it look like your son is travelling with your wife, but he then boards with you, as that would be naughty at best.

that's sounds ok in theory but impactable and how about the return trip, can he exit the country they are travelling to without the wife being there - similar problem. 

3 minutes ago, Artisi said:

that's sounds ok in theory but impactable and how about the return trip, can he exit the country they are travelling to without the wife being there - similar problem. 

And what passport will your son use to exit Thailand?

5 minutes ago, Artisi said:

The return with a single parent to home country should be no problem. The authorities are concerned about you removing a child from their mother, not returning them.

• Like 2

I (NZ passport) have no problems leaving and entering Thailand with my Thai born son (travelling on Thai passport) without his Thai mum. I have never been asked to show proof of paternity or asked for a letter from his mum or any other document.

Having said that I always have a copy of his birth certificate and when travelling to NZ, I do need to show his NZ passport at check-in to prove eligibility to enter NZ or Australia.

But no dramas or documents have ever been requested and regular international travel is occurring.

His mum and I are divorced.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Artisi said:

His non-Thai passport (he has two) has a specific note that allows him to travel with just one parent.

9 minutes ago, scorecard said:

And what passport will your son use to exit Thailand?

To exit and re-enter Thailand he will use a Thai passport.

5 minutes ago, casey1 said:

I (NZ passport) have no problems leaving and entering Thailand with my Thai born son (travelling on Thai passport) without his Thai mum. I have never been asked to show proof of paternity or asked for a letter from his mum or any other document.

Having said that I always have a copy of his birth certificate and when travelling to NZ, I do need to show his NZ passport at check-in to prove eligibility to enter NZ or Australia.

But no dramas or documents have ever been requested and regular international travel is occurring.

His mum and I are divorced.

If you don't mind answering how old is your son?

59 minutes ago, FarangFB said:

Quite ingenuous lol, I'll keep that in mind but I think this could upset the immigration officer once they realize what I did.

Another way is to have your wife present at the airport when you check in and wait around until you and your son clear immigration. If there is any problem at immigration they'll be able to talk to her and clear everything up. You could also have your wife give an affidavit witnessed by a lawyer or at the district office (all they'd have to do is sign as witnesses and not issue any formal document) or maybe even your Embassy.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, DrJoy said:

So OPs fear is unfound

Thanks that gives me some peace of mind. I'll just go with all the documents and hope it works.

26 minutes ago, sateuk said:

Stopped me before with my 2 kids I just showed them both passports and birth certificate, and they made a quick phonecall to my wife and let us on our way, it's hit and miss I've never been asked again, you will have no problems, if you want more security take your wife to the airport if immigration ask they can go and see her, good luck

Yes good idea she can wait at the airport until we're past immigration.

5 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Has the OP called the airline and asked? A someone else said, it may just be as easy as having the wife go with you to the airport. 

I didn't try actually calling the airline but every official website I checked says that it needs the paper signed by the Amphur. And every traveller report that I've seen/heard had one of the 3 outcomes:

- Denied because something else was off (eg. Thai passport expired)

- Made it through, no questions asked

- Was questioned, but sorted after making a call to the wife

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FarangFB said:

I can provide every possible document that shows that it's my kid and I'm in good terms with the wife - copies of every document, can even provide video evidence of her saying that the kid can travel with me. The kid's surname is the same as mine and he looks like me. 

The question is, traveling with all the other supporting documentation and even the possibility to video call my wife - how likely is it for immigration to make problems about it?

If you don't have the officiel letter, you can bring your son's mother and necessary documentation for her being the mother to the immigration. Without letter or Thai parental approval you cannot be sure that you can take a Thai child out of Thailand.

However, you might be lucky when it's the same family name, but the young age – 6 years old – could in my view be a problem, if the immigration officer wish to interview the child.

I took my daughter with same family name as me out of Thailand on a trip to Singapore without an official letter, but I brought her mum to the airport and she waited outside immigration but visible through a glass wall. However, my daughter was 13 years old and a few questions from the kind immigration officer was enough to let her pass.

• Like 2

Perhaps you could get your wife to write and sign a letter in Thai and English saying that she's happy for your child to go with you on your trip. Make sure she includes her telephone number. Also take with you a copy of her Thai ID card and house book/tabian baan (signed by your wife). Better than nothing, I would say. 

5 hours ago, Woof999 said:

I don't understand this at all, but maybe because I am thick! But how on earth does this work, you would not even get a boarding pass for the kids as the check in staff do a lot of the immigration requirements beforehand and the check in staff will want to know the kids have permission to go without the Thai parent?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

9 hours ago, FarangFB said:

7000b to do/stamp the paper themselves, but I don't know if I'd be just throwing money away as it wouldn't be the official Amphur stamp. 

Sounds like your best option. 

Without the stamp your son won't be able to leave the country and if he does somehow they'll be problems entering your country. 

@FarangFB  OP...  I’ve done this twice at Suvarnabumi airport without issue (once when my son was 3 and again when he was 4).. No questions from Immigration. 

That said, I know friends who have been questioned - the wife was called and spoke with Immigration who were satisfied.

Simple solutions: 

1) Have your wife sign the letter with a signed copy of her ID... Just incase the Immigration officers ask - this may be sufficient IF you are asked. 

2) Have your wife standing by at the Airport with you, so that when you go through immigration, IF they ask and are not satisfied by your answers (the signed letter from your Wife) then she is present to reassure Immigration that your daughter has permission to travel with you. 

Thats really all that needs to be done. 

--------

Edit: I also forgot, my Wife has travelled (internationally) with my Son (without me) - no questions from immigration when departing Thailand. 

As backup we sign this form (attached) and a copy of our passport - its never been needed though. 

Parental Consent Letter - Format.docx

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, FarangFB said:

Thanks that gives me some peace of mind. I'll just go with all the documents and hope it works.

Yes good idea she can wait at the airport until we're past immigration.

I didn't try actually calling the airline but every official website I checked says that it needs the paper signed by the Amphur. And every traveller report that I've seen/heard had one of the 3 outcomes:

- Denied because something else was off (eg. Thai passport expired)

- Made it through, no questions asked

- Was questioned, but sorted after making a call to the wife

Of course, no official website is going to tell you to ‘chance it’....   

Two highest probabilities you’ll face: 

1) Both you and your daughter pass immigration without any questions. 

2) Immigration ask questions, you call your wife who speaks with them an you pass without issue. 

IF on the very rare situation immigration are not happy with calling your wife, if she is also there at the airport, they can see her - I’ve never heard of things going this far.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thai son with my family name in his Thai passport.  Most recent departure 3 weeks ago.  He's 10, and IO asked him a bunch of questions in Thai about where is his mum before allowing him to leave.

I've always been asked for letter from his mum saying he can leave.  One time they called her phone to speak to her from the immigration desk, despite me having all the docs from family court showing I had joint custody (not married) and letter from mother.  That said, I've never had anything stamped by Amphur.  I've always taken his birth cert, copy of Family Court order, letter from mother with copy of her ID.  Has been sufficient every time.  Him having my family name might have eased this.  I've never been asked once for anything when departing my EU home country with my son alone..

So for anyone saying OPs doubts are unfounded: YMMV.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Of course, no official website is going to tell you to ‘chance it’....   

Two highest probabilities you’ll face: 

1) Both you and your daughter pass immigration without any questions. 

2) Immigration ask questions, you call your wife who speaks with them an you pass without issue. 

IF on the very rare situation immigration are not happy with calling your wife, if she is also there at the airport, they can see her - I’ve never heard of things going this far.

Exactly what I experienced taking a friend's kid with us (me and my wife). We had birth certificate with us that was all. We was led into an office at immigration and we called the family and confirmed the kid mother's approval of the trip and then we were ok! But there is always a risk that you get the wrong officer with the wrong attitude.