Teacher attacks primary students - investigative committee set up

webfact

000-24-1024x576.jpg

77kaoded Thai Caption: Teacher bruises students buttocks

Thai media 77kaoded were contacted by several parents who said that their boys were attacked by a male teacher at a school in Bang Bo, Samut Prakan, central Thailand.

Reporters went to investigate yesterday after the incident on Monday.

An 11 year old boy in P5 - the fifth grade of Thai primary school - said that he could not sit down after he was whacked 13 times on the buttocks with a cane.

He showed reporters his horrible bruises.

He said that he was attacked by a teacher called Boss who had asked his group to sweep up litter and leaves.

After they had put the brooms away they were larking about and the teacher got mad and said they would have to be caned.

He said they were to go and get the cane. He said their punishment would be the number of seconds it took for them to go and get the cane.

He had counted to18 by the time they returned though he decided to mete out just 13 whacks.

A boy called "B" arrived at the house and said that he too was assaulted 13 times by teacher Boss who was always hurting them.

A third boy also received punishment.

At the school the director said he was not available for comment and urged the press not to make a bid deal out if it.

The press met teacher Boss who showed them the weapon he used - an 80cm long piece of wood wrapped in pink tape.

He admitted everything and said the boys had been stubborn. When he told them to get the cane they didn't jump to it as he requested so he started counting.

The parents are understandably furious and the local education authority have set up an investigative committee.

ASEAN NOW notes that under the government of Yingluck Shinawatra capital punishment in schools was outlawed.

But it persists with many Thai parents, perhaps harking back to their own experiences at school, not making a big deal out of the use of such punishment by teachers.

Unless, as in this case, it goes over the top.

For the views of ASEAN NOW's columnist Rooster on this issue please click the following link to today's Rooster Reports video.

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2023-03-22

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information

• Sad 5
  • Haha 1

I've been saying this for YEARS (different accounts, of course!! lol):

This violence towards kids is much more prevalent than you think.  Especially private schools, IMO.   Also, I've seen farangs hit kids.  Horrible humans.  Yes, I reported them all.  Nothing was ever done.

Before COVID (my last "teaching" job), government school employee teachers were afraid to hit kids.  FINALLY a change, because they knew they would lose their "job" of doing nothing and it's almost impossible to get fired.  I would send my kid to a gov't school before  a private school.   

Oh, it's the culture!!!!  Discipline is good!!!  Well, if you have an IQ above 49 you would realize science has changed on human development and it's a horrible thing to do.  Oh, you only use your phone for Instagram??  Well, there you go, and you still remember your grandfather hitting you so it must be the right thing?   Can't fix stupid.

Plus a Thai teacher snitching on another Thai teacher is like seeing a unicorn.   

If you are a parent, GO to the school and observe.  You will cry while driving home, knowing you failed your child.  lol.  I laugh because what did you really think?  Oh, it was inexpensive.  There you go!!!!

Violence doesn't resolve problems but upbringing does. I worked in Thai education system for many a year. Wast majority of kids (any gender or age) have zero to non upbringing or have any work habbits instilled from the very parents that are complaining. Teacher who really wants something to be done, has no support from colleagues nor from the supirior ones. In public schools everything is done the way that student are happy (dumb) and teachers have free time and do some other profitable business. 

Let me give you an example, where such education leads. Just the other day as I was descending the stairs from my favorite temple which serves me as daily exercise. I met a group of more than 10 young policemen ( all a bit chubby) climbing up and each of them had a broom. I was happy to see them as I was thinking that someone will finnaly sweep the slippery dry leaves. I asked them about theit intention and they confirmed my prediction. The next day I climbed the stairs again and I really wasn't surprised that nothing was done. Bad upbringing and education have its cost.  How many of you are not satisfied with police force? The problem begins very early in life and can not be mandet in lifetime. 

As I don't support violence and I don't know the teacher in question and all the circumstance, I refrain from judgement but give you my inside and example of the problem which is not isolated to Thailand only. 

Edited by nowhereman
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, HuskerDo2 said:

They have to set up a "committee" to investigate? The bruises and wounds weren't enough proof? The punishment should be 13 whacks from the same cane for each child he struck. 13 to the head, 13 to the back and 13 to the groin. Scum!!

Perhaps to the soles of the feet as well

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

I don't approve the behavior of the teacher. There are other ways to punish, but this is Thailand and believe me in a overcrowded class and sometimes uneducated kids, they can drive the teacher mad. It happened to me several times that the class was uncontrollable and that I just left the class very angry. I strongly believe that parents don't educate their kids in normal behaviour and that overcrowded classes with 50 kids or more are triggering bad behaviour. But alas... Thailand  

A few idiots loud and constantly playing on there phones ruining the education for the rest of the students. 

No wonder most Thais lack a proper education. 

I've been caned in both in both UK and US schools.  Rite of Passage in many ways, but it seems Thais go overboard on the corporal punishment.  "Fighting" is only a 500 THB fine, so if my own grandkids came home black and blue, I'd consider decking the person responsible as there doesn't seem a be a legal recourse. My father threaten that approach in England and I was never hit again (leave the Yank kid alone).  I was in High School in the US and simply laughed it off - I don't ever remember telling the parents as we got "The Paddle" for a reason.  <laughs>
It seems it is not 'illegal' in Thailand and seems to be implicitly condoned by school admins.  Very young kids getting caned.  Yeah - I'd put an end to that with if it was my own family members affected.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

I don't approve the behavior of the teacher. There are other ways to punish, but this is Thailand and believe me in a overcrowded class and sometimes uneducated kids, they can drive the teacher mad. It happened to me several times that the class was uncontrollable and that I just left the class very angry. I strongly believe that parents don't educate their kids in normal behaviour and that overcrowded classes with 50 kids or more are triggering bad behaviour. But alas... Thailand  

Control yourself - manage others.  Some teachers make the students angry.

Being a teacher here over 20 years I can tell you first hand that the only one who gets in trouble is the foreign teacher if he tries to do any of your suggestions. I gave lunch time detention, lines, extra-homework and every time either the work wasn't done, the kids didn't show up or the parents called to complain, and even the foreign teachers back stabbed me saying I was too harsh. Suffice it to say their classes are generally out of control and most actually only care about the visa and the salary. What else can you expect from tourist teachers who have no qualified teacher status. There is no solution. When I do job interviews I always ask the interviewers if the school is supportive of its teachers and the answer is always yes. I ask if there is a discipline code, and usually the interviewers look dumbfounded and usually tell that if there is a problem to bring it to their attention. I will let you guess the end result.

Edited by Pouatchee
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, connda said:

I've been caned in both in both UK and US schools.  Rite of Passage in many ways, but it seems Thais go overboard on the corporal punishment.  "Fighting" is only a 500 THB fine, so if my own grandkids came home black and blue, I'd consider decking the person responsible as there doesn't seem a be a legal recourse. My father threaten that approach in England and I was never hit again (leave the Yank kid alone).  I was in High School in the US and simply laughed it off - I don't ever remember telling the parents as we got "The Paddle" for a reason.  <laughs>
It seems it is not 'illegal' in Thailand and seems to be implicitly condoned by school admins.  Very young kids getting caned.  Yeah - I'd put an end to that with if it was my own family members affected.

Seems to me you both see caning as acceptable and a rite of passage but would oppose it if it was your own young kids being punished. It's this kind of ambivalence that allows corporal punishment to continue despite being abolished.

Edited by Spock
  • Love It 1

1 hour ago, nowhereman said:

Violence doesn't resolve problems but upbringing does. I worked in Thai education system for many a year. Wast majority of kids (any gender or age) have zero to non upbringing or have any work habbits instilled from the very parents that are complaining. Teacher who really wants something to be done, has no support from colleagues nor from the supirior ones. In public schools everything is done the way that student are happy (dumb) and teachers have free time and do some other profitable business. 

Let me give you an example, where such education leads. Just the other day as I was descending the stairs from my favorite temple which serves me as daily exercise. I met a group of more than 10 young policemen ( all a bit chubby) climbing up and each of them had a broom. I was happy to see them as I was thinking that someone will finnaly sweep the slippery dry leaves. I asked them about theit intention and they confirmed my prediction. The next day I climbed the stairs again and I really wasn't surprised that nothing was done. Bad upbringing and education have its cost.  How many of you are not satisfied with police force? The problem begins very early in life and can not be mandet in lifetime. 

As I don't support violence and I don't know the teacher in question and all the circumstance, I refrain from judgement but give you my inside and example of the problem which is not isolated to Thailand only. 

If you 'refrain from judgement' then you are part of the problem an have no role in the solution.