Do you support "15 minute cities" in order to save the planet from man-made global warming?

connda

Do you support "15 minute cities" in order to save the planet from man-made global warming?  

79 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I've lived in the center part of Bangkok for more than a decade.

Never had or used my own car or other gas powered vehicle during that time.

About the only time I ever take a taxi is traveling to or from the airport when I have large luggage that I can't easily take on ARL.

Almost everything I need or want on a day-to-day basis is within a 15 minute walk and/or brief BTS Skytrain trip -- malls, restaurants, hospitals, recreational facilities, etc.

That's the kind of setup I wanted when I moved here from the U.S. originally, and it's been working just fine for me.

That said, Thailand could be a lot more thoughtful in how they do urban planning, which could contribute to the kind of low-impact livability being discussed here.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

20 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Almost everything I need or want on a day-to-day basis is within a 15 minute walk and/or brief BTS Skytrain trip -- malls, restaurants, hospitals, recreational facilities, etc.

That's nice. It took me 10 mins to walk to the BTS. Only leaving 5 mins at 2mins per station, not including waiting for a train. 

15 mins can only have been thought up by a committee who never went anywhere.

Edited by VocalNeal

4 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

That's nice. It took me 10 mins to walk to the BTS. Only leaving 5 mins at 2mins per station, not including waiting for a train. 

15 mins can only have been thought up by a committee who never went anywhere.

image.png.58ae47689930c31d412124996c05bc1c.png

image.png.e99a7351e05a7071bfd5620f003d72ea.png

I was counting on you to keep your word. Instead you insist on contributing nonsense. I should have expected as much.

15 minute city doesn't mean that everything you want to do is within 15 minutes. It's a goal set so that the things you need in your daily life would be accessible within 15 minutes without need a privately owned motorized. vehicle. And while Bangok may be a 15 minute city for some, it's not even a goal of the administration.

Edited by placeholder
  • Haha 1

On 3/22/2023 at 12:56 PM, connda said:

To whomever posted the "Laughing emoticon" to the question - what is funny about this?  It's a serious question and a very serious topic from multiple angles and reasons.  Changes are coming and we should civilly discuss them in an open and honest manner.

Ask that question all politicians and royals 

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, placeholder said:

15 minute city doesn't mean that everything you want to do is within 15 minutes.

Then re-word the stupid statement so it says what it is meant to mean!

Slogans and "sound bites" should not need explanations!

KISS!

7 minutes ago, placeholder said:

15 minute city doesn't mean that everything you want to do is within 15 minutes. It's a goal set so that the things you need in your daily life would be accessible within 15 minutes without need a privately owned motorized. vehicle.

Do you have a source for the above definition?

I apologise if it has been fully explained already but I just cannot be bothered to read 9 pages  of this (?) to find out!

• Sad 1

Just now, scottiejohn said:

Then re-word the stupid statement so it says what it is meant to mean!

Slogans and "sound bites" should not need explanations!

KISS!

I'm not responsible for the slogan, and given that we're on something called the internet, if you find yourself confused, there's a thing called google which is immensely helpful for questions like this.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, scottiejohn said:

Do you have a source for the above definition?

I apologise if it has been fully explained already but I just cannot be bothered to read 9 pages  of this (?) to find out!

15 minute city - wiki

"The 15-minute city (FMC or 15mC)[1][2] is an urban planning concept in which most daily necessities and services, such as work, shopping, education, healthcare, and leisure can be easily reached by a 15-minute walk or bike ride from any point in the city."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/15-minute_city

• Confused 1

Went to Ban Krut today (60 kms & 1 hr away), for a coffee/pastry & dinner.   I do that, lite munch, a few times a week. 

Dine out, at least a few times a month, somewhere between Hua Hin & Ban Krut, 170 kms stretch of surfside venues.

Would that be allowed ... I think not.   Wonder if there would be time limits to your time away.   Passed on a swim, though surf was looking inviting.   But would want to overnight and didn't plan on it.

No surf that I'd swim in within 15-45 mins 'drive' that I'd swim in, let alone be 15 min walk or bike ride.

Not even sure I could make it to the local surfside restaurants in 15 minutes, and they're < 5 kms away. 

Car yes, walk or bike it ... NO

So the powers to be, would like me to:

... Eat

... Sleep

... Work (if employed)

... troll AN

... watch 'approved' media

... AND be thankful I'm allowed to do even that.

Hell Yea ... Sign me up ????

Edited by KhunLA
  • Sad 1

20 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

15 minute city - wiki

"The 15-minute city (FMC or 15mC)[1][2] is an urban planning concept in which most daily necessities and services, such as work, shopping, education, healthcare, and leisure can be easily reached by a 15-minute walk or bike ride from any point in the city."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/15-minute_city

Not quite what @placeholder said!  No wonder I am confused!

32 minutes ago, placeholder said:

I'm not responsible for the slogan, and given that we're on something called the internet, if you find yourself confused, there's a thing called google which is immensely helpful for questions like this.

You may have noticed that I asked for a source of the information from the poster!

It is normal practice for the poster making a statement to provide their source as there may be other interpretations or meanings!

Posts should be self explanatory without the need for internet searches to try and find out what the original poster MAY have meant!

Just now, scottiejohn said:

You may have noticed that I asked for a source of the information from the poster!

It is normal practice for the poster making a statement to provide their source as there may be other interpretations or meanings!

Posts should be self explanatory without the need for internet searches to try and find out what the original poster MAY have meant!

My mistake. Sorry.  The OP was being very misleading. The subject name is in the form of a question that refers to the genuine 15 minute concept. But then his question for the poll misleadingly misrepresented what the 15 minute concept is and instead asks a question based on a dystopian model.  Not surprisingly, they seem to have abandoned the thread.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, scottiejohn said:

Not quite what @placeholder said!  No wonder I am confused!

Yea ... people seem to be adding quite a bit to fit 'their' spin.

I lived in a 15 minute city ...  until I was about 12 or 13 years old, then I realized there was a whole world an hour or 2 away on my bicycle.

OMG ... discovered even more interesting things available to see & do when having a motorized vehicle.

Damn if they didn't put wings on a bus, and you could fly and see other cultures and FURTHER YOUR EDUCATION IN ALL THINGS.

Why would anyone want to restrict people's movement and ability to communicate with other cultures & LEARN.

Just think if I never traveled, I'd think Philly PA USA was the center of the Universe .... or .... the USA was the greatest of everything, and everyone loved Americans from the United States.

Mushrooms ... feed them Sh!t & keep 'em in the dark.

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

I lived in a 15 minute city ...  until I was about 12 or 13 years old, then I realized there was a whole world an hour or 2 away on my bicycle.

OMG ... discovered even more interesting things available to see & do when having a motorized vehicle.

Damn if they didn't put wings on a bus, and you could fly and see other cultures and FURTHER YOUR EDUCATION IN ALL THINGS.

Why would anyone want to restrict people's movement and ability to communicate with other cultures & LEARN.

Just think if I never traveled, I'd think Philly PA USA was the center of the Universe .... or .... the USA was the greatest of everything, and everyone loved Americans from the United States.

+1

Brilliant statement on the bleeding obvious!

I would hate to see how their "healthcare, and leisure can be easily reached by a 15-minute walk or bike ride from any point in the city." 

A bike ride ambulance conveying a totally incapacitated patient!  Just the first example I will give of how totally wacko the so called 15 Min concept is!

• Sad 1

42 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Went to Ban Krut today (60 kms & 1 hr away), for a coffee/pastry & dinner.   I do that, lite munch, a few times a week. 

Dine out, at least a few times a month, somewhere between Hua Hin & Ban Krut, 170 kms stretch of surfside venues.

Would that be allowed ... I think not.   Wonder if there would be time limits to your time away.   Passed on a swim, though surf was looking inviting.   But would want to overnight and didn't plan on it.

No surf that I'd swim in within 15-45 mins 'drive' that I'd swim in, let alone be 15 min walk or bike ride.

Not even sure I could make it to the local surfside restaurants in 15 minutes, and they're < 5 kms away. 

Car yes, walk or bike it ... NO

So the powers to be, would like me to:

... Eat

... Sleep

... Work (if employed)

... troll AN

... watch 'approved' media

... AND be thankful I'm allowed to do even that.

Hell Yea ... Sign me up ????

17 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Your response is understandable because of the way the original post was couched in terms of laws and regulations. Normally this concept is put in terms of simple urban planning so that people can get what they need within 15 minutes rather than being told they can't go beyond a distance travelled in 15 minutes.

That's where sometimes right wing media can be so depressing because they take what could be a good smart idea, find someone with an extreme version of it that would take away personal freedoms e.g. limit people's ability to travel etc, and throw out the baby with the bathwater i.e the good basic idea that maybe cities and towns of the future can be built around this worthwhile concept without stopping you travelling further if you wish to do so. 

This may have been addressed previously in pages 2 to 8 in which case please disregard this post. 

Edited by Fat is a type of crazy
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, owl sees all said:

What about golf and fishing? And what if yer local footy club is not withing 15 minutes.

I can't see all this being achieved before 2030.

I can't see all this being achieved before 2030. 3020!

Just people wanting their 15 minutes of air/internet fame time. 

A load of .........!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

31 minutes ago, scottiejohn said:

I can't see all this being achieved before 2030. 3020!

Just people wanting their 15 minutes of air/internet fame time. 

A load of .........!

I agree SJ.

But AFAIK there are over 60 English towns/cities hell-bent on this policy.

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

I agree SJ.

Well , a few UK Councils have put proposals forward for 15 minute cities and just one , Oxford , hopes to have a 15 minute city by the year 2040 .

So, ONE town in the UK hopes to have a 15 minute city by 2040 , rather than 60 towns being "hell-bent" on the idea

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:

That's precisely what they are trying to curtail.

If you don't want to concede that driving an hour for a croissant is wasteful ...

Well then, they're trying to control you for no apparent reason I guess. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, owl sees all said:

I agree SJ.

OMG!

I totally agree and so I went to look for sites that could explain the concept in simple terms for me!

Oops I was wrong!

Please don't look at these;

Telosa - Telosa (cityoftelosa.com)

The 15-minute city as marketing slogan — 15-Minute City (15minutecity.com)

Edited by scottiejohn
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, scottiejohn said:

+1

Brilliant statement on the bleeding obvious!

I would hate to see how their "healthcare, and leisure can be easily reached by a 15-minute walk or bike ride from any point in the city." 

A bike ride ambulance conveying a totally incapacitated patient!  Just the first example I will give of how totally wacko the so called 15 Min concept is!

Actually, that's a really terrible example to give. One of the problems that the 15 minute city is designed to remedy is  traffic congestion. So emergency vehicles and public transport can provide better service along routes reserved for them.

Edited by placeholder

8 hours ago, placeholder said:

Actually, that's a really terrible example to give. One of the problems that the 15 minute city is designed to remedy is  traffic congestion. So emergency vehicles and public transport can provide better service along routes reserved for them.

But according to the definition the only transport is a bike.  

• Sad 1

32 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

The C40 website. 

You need to explain, 

"A global network of mayors taking urgent action to confront the climate crisis and create a future where everyone can thrive."

What is their ideology that you don't agree with?

41 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

You need to explain, 

"A global network of mayors taking urgent action to confront the climate crisis and create a future where everyone can thrive."

Do you actually believe everyone can thrive? 

41 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

What is their ideology that you don't agree with?

It smacks of central planning. 

• Sad 1