Crazy electrical usage?

cola1800

11 minutes ago, liddelljohn said:

My entire 3 bedroom house in Bangsarey with 3 TVs 4 Aircons  , washing machine , Oven etc is never more than 3000 a month even in hottest months .  usually less than 1700

Now I live in the west as you know, my electricity bill is less than yours, I pay about 2000 baht for 2 months and nothing for water (which I can drink from the tap) how much do you spend on drinking water? Yes I get blasted for that. But Thailand is not cheap,

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, cola1800 said:

5,000 a month for a small 1 room seems crazy to me. This is what I'd expect to pay in a full-on 2 room apartment with washing machine/dishwasher etc. The aircon was/is set to 20c

For sure!!! We have 2 houses on our meter with 6 people. We have 3 x 12.000BTU aircons (09:00pm- 8:00am running), 2 freezer/fridgr combis, 1 fridge, 3 TVs, 2 PCs, 2 notebooks running, a lot of LED lights and some cameras and the bill is between 2.500 (winter) - 3.800 (summer).
So for sure something is wrong at your appartement.

Edited by snowgard

12 hours ago, cola1800 said:

Even if I was being charged 4 per unit, I'd still be looking at a $70/mo electric bill, for what is essentially just a small room and bath. That's ridiculous high, even by Western standards

No it's not, my most recent electric bill was about 10,500 Baht, mostly due to my constant AirCon usage.

I use the AC because I like it. Always have, always will.

Edited by ukrules

Seems like you are using a lot of electricity for sure . Air conditioner set at 24 degrees  will reduce the usage . Instant hot water services use much power . I would check that the meter is working correctly 

You are paying 2,5 baht extra per kwh to the landlord . There is a law that prohibits landlords to put on extra . If that law applies to your landlord is hard to say . 

200 baht for water is also steep for a one bedroom apartment .

• Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, itsari said:

Not sure where you get 4 baht a kwh from . With taxes I am paying 5,5 baht a kwh on a bill i received on the 23rd of March 23

Guess your usage is over 400 kWh as it Depends on the usage, no standard kWh price in Thailand when having a meter direct from Pea or Mea. Price increases if you use more.

3 different tariffs 

0-150 Units 3.2484 Thb

151-400 units 4.2218 Thb

401 -> 4.4217 Thb

Prices per unit and excluding service charge and vat

Electricity%20Tariffs%20JAN66%20Unoffici

Edited by MJCM
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MJCM said:

Guess your usage is over 400 kWh as it Depends on the usage, no standard kWh price in Thailand when having a meter direct from Pea or Mea. Price increases if you use more.

3 different tariffs 

0-150 Units 3.2484 Thb

151-400 units 4.2218 Thb

401 -> 4.4217 Thb

You are missing the FT charge at ฿0.9343 per unit6954D7FC-B073-41C7-82B1-69A67C7B70F1.thumb.jpeg.c10465b7956fe59c3a443cfb18fde3df.jpeg

Edited by sometimewoodworker
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, MJCM said:

3 different tariffs 

0-150 Units 3.2484 Thb

151-400 units 4.2218 Thb

401 -> 4.4217 Thb

My usage was around 1200 kWh 

I understand if you are using less electricity the price per kWh will be less than the 5.5  baht I mentioned with taxes.

What I do know the price has risen for myself from 4.8 to 5.5 recently. That amounts to a 15 percent increase .

38 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

You are missing the FT charge at ฿0.9343 per unit6954D7FC-B073-41C7-82B1-69A67C7B70F1.thumb.jpeg.c10465b7956fe59c3a443cfb18fde3df.jpeg

That is AFAIK Only for people using more then a certain amount of units, we only got a minor ft charge (read discount on the Ft charge as we stayed under 300 units used)

32A74119-42A1-4AF1-B28A-EA301E0E0DDB.jpeg.5d1127e6a8eece9f7b3ffd1a6ba3a229.jpeg

Edited by MJCM

9 minutes ago, itsari said:

My usage was around 1200 kWh 

I understand if you are using less electricity the price per kWh will be less than the 5.5  baht I mentioned with taxes.

What I do know the price has risen for myself from 4.8 to 5.5 recently. That amounts to a 15 percent increase .

The charge was never at 4.8.the maximum is at 4.4217, it hasn’t changed for the last 6 years. It is virtually impossible to get a direct KWh charge from the bill. As the perKWh rate varies depending on the amount of power used, your standing charge, the FT rate applied to your bill. The big differentiator is the FT charge as it has varied between a negative amount to over 1 Baht per unit. So depending on usage the increase recently is up to about 22% 

1 minute ago, sometimewoodworker said:

The charge was never at 4.8.the maximum is at 4.4217, it hasn’t changed for the last 6 years. It is virtually impossible to get a direct KWh charge from the bill. As the perKWh rate varies depending on the amount of power used, your standing charge, the FT rate applied to your bill. The big differentiator is the FT charge as it has varied between a negative amount to over 1 Baht per unit. So depending on usage the increase recently is up to about 22% 

I can assure you that 4.8 has been the price I have paid for at least 12 months until now .

Price I  quote is kWh divided by the amount I pay PEA.

How can that be impossible?

I use from 900 to 1200 through the year . 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 3/24/2023 at 1:43 PM, gargamon said:

There's your problem. Real electric rates are around 4 baht per unit. Hopefully your lease term isn't too long. 

Someone told me it gone up closer to 5.2 bht a unit…….anyway my 1 bed property using aircon about 10 hours a day bill 500/700 bht 

• Like 1

On 3/24/2023 at 1:24 PM, cola1800 said:

If so, what the heck are people with actual houses and multiple aircons, pool filters and so forth paying? I don't understand.

I have one 18K btu aircon running for 12 hours a day now that the temp is up a bit.  Just had the bill and the useage has jumped 120 units over the average without aircon. That would equate to about 4 units a day so your 19 units does need looking at. I run at 27 degrees, maybe you are running a bit on the low side.

Also the rate is a bit higher, including taxes our rate is about 5 baht a unit.

• Like 1

Electricity usage in Thailand is highly dependant on location of the property. I had a conversation with a neighbor in the elevator a few days ago as I was going to pay my bill. Mine was 450 and his was 2300. The difference is that his unit is in the sun all day and I never get sunshine. Same if you're on the top floor.

It works out well for me as I'm here 5 months and gone for a month then back for 5 etc. My two months per year away perfectly coincide with when the sun transitions from north to south and vice versa. So I never rent in the sunny side. I guess if i decided to buy a condo I'd need to get two, one on the north side and one on the south side. 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Are you saying you do not need to pay service charge and vat?

No not at all. How do you come to that conclusion?

the price I listed is exclusive of that as that are the prices for kWh from the PEA site and thus why I mentioned it. 

• Confused 1

On 3/24/2023 at 1:37 PM, Snugs08 said:

2-3k a month seems reasonable, 5k seems high though, what temperature is the aircon set to?

Our bill came in today at 197 baht for the month. Turn the fans on and the aircon off. We use air con 5 minutes before sleep and switch to fans. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, RichardColeman said:

Our bill came in today at 197 baht for the month. Turn the fans on and the aircon off. We use air con 5 minutes before sleep and switch to fans. 

Do you have by any chance solar?

As that is a very low bill. We are sub 300 Thb a month but that is only because we have solar helping. 

43 minutes ago, sandyf said:

How can it be impossible, the unit charge is the amount you pay divided by the number of units used.

In the real world it is the only figure that makes any sense and the only one that can be used in comparison to tenants on a landlord's rate.

That figure is so badly wrong that it is ludicrous there are so many different base costs per unit (10) along with FT rates (5) and standing charges (2).

So only if the KWh used are the same, the tariff is the same and the number of units is not under 90 can you find out if the two rates are equal, it is perfectly possible for someone to be paying infinitely more (by percentage) and a completely correct bill than another user, it is also likely that 2 bills will show widely different rate’s, using your logic, when they are both paying the correct PEA/MEA rates.

TLDR get the correct accurate data do the (for most people) not easy math. You get an accurate answer.

Edited by sometimewoodworker
  • Thumbs Up 1

51 minutes ago, asf6 said:

Temperature set too low (20 C).

24, 25 or 26 degrees C should be about right. 

Yeah I guess air-cons that low and landlord 8 baht unit charges high bills you can expect. 

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, asf6 said:

Temperature set too low (20 C).

24, 25 or 26 degrees C should be about right. 

Or get used to a fan, I have done that for 8 years and will continue to do so.

Now I can't sleep with out the fan going ????

On 3/24/2023 at 2:12 PM, Crossy said:

At 20C it's no wonder it was working hard, do you have a pet penguin? ???? 

I would be dead sick in a few days with that.

In the night we have the AC in the bedroom at 26.

Never have ACs running 24/7.

Though currently at 40 C (104 F) more usage during the day.

Two storey house with three persons, currently four.

BTW: 4 Baht/unit is a thing of the past.

Our latest bill was 1557 Baht/275 units = 5.7 Baht/unit.

And 275 units is less than the highest scale that starts at 400 units.

Next month I expect a much higher bill (highest ever was ~3200).

Granddaughter is on visit and in worst case we have up to four ACs running.

Three through the night.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1