Trump posts disturbing baseball bat photo with Alvin Bragg, threatens ‘death and destruction’

onthedarkside

1 hour ago, BangkokReady said:

Is that really your perception of the photograph?

I'm intrigued as, when I look at the photograph, I see a picture of Trump holding a baseball bat, I see a picture of Bragg standing at a media lectern, but the baseball bat really couldn't be further from Bragg's head.

The bat is actually closer to Trump's head than it is to Bragg's.

The bat certainly isn't next to Bragg's head. 

Do you genuinely believe that the baseball bat is next to Bragg's head?  Do you not know what "next to" means?  Or are you lying?

I know lying about Trump is pretty much a national past-time in the US, but it seems so weird to me that people do it so blatantly.  "Here's a photo of Trump without a baseball bat next to someone's head, but I'm going to lie and tell people that the photo shows Trump with a baseball bat next to someone's head because it makes Trump sound worse."  It's just so bizarre.

Would you agree that Kathy Griffin didn't really hold up Trump's severed head, so did nothing wrong?  https://www.the-sun.com/news/1742978/kathy-griffin-decapitated-trump-head-election/

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

Not ridiculously at all.  It doesn't show a baseball bat next to Bragg's head, therefore to say it does is a lie.

You're confused. The montage clearly shows Trump holding a bat next to Bragg. It's irrelevant that it's not real. Do you think that the 2 images in the montage were juxtaposed for some other reason than to show Trump holding a bat next to Bragg?

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Well, if anyone is being dishonest here it's you lying to yourself.

You have to be in deep denial not to accept that Trump has b

Any rational person seeing someone posing holding a bat up close to another photo of a person he has made no bones about hating, wouldn't have any problem seeing that it's an endorsement of violence. Especially when posted so closely in time with predictions of death and destruction.

Keep in mind that it was Trump who chose to repost that photo. The press didn't force him to do that.

I still don't think that the reporting of the photo makes the tweet a direct threat of violence as is being reported.  They may be an expression of Trump's overall attitude, but that doesn't mean they are related.

"Trump threatens death and destruction" is simply not the same as "Trump implies it's a bad idea to charge him because his supporters may riot".

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, placeholder said:

You're confused. The montage clearly shows Trump holding a bat next to Bragg.

I'm not confused in the slightest.  The montage shows a picture of Trump holding a baseball bat next to a picture of Bragg.  The claim is that the photo shows a baseball bat next to Bragg's head.

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, heybruce said:

Would you agree that Kathy Griffin didn't really hold up Trump's severed head, so did nothing wrong?  https://www.the-sun.com/news/1742978/kathy-griffin-decapitated-trump-head-election/

I would agree that Kathy Griffin didn't really hold up Trump's severed head, and if someone tried to claim that it was his real severed head I would say that they were lying.

That is as far as that relates to what I am saying here.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, placeholder said:

A picture of Trump holding a bat in a montage next to Bragg isn't suggestive?

As for your silly quote, where exactly do you imagine "here" to be?

Silly quote?  I'm replying in kind to the quote written to me.

If you're going to jump into another discussion, at least read what has been said previously.

You're slipping into ad-homs now.

• Sad 1
  • Love It 1

6 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

I still don't think that the reporting of the photo makes the tweet a direct threat of violence as is being reported.  They may be an expression of Trump's overall attitude, but that doesn't mean they are related.

"Trump threatens death and destruction" is simply not the same as "Trump implies it's a bad idea to charge him because his supporters may riot".

I’m betting if someone posted a similar montage comprising them swinging a baseball bat alongside a picture of your child’s head or the head of your wife, with attendant text discussing possible violence, you’d take it very seriously.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, BangkokReady said:

Silly quote?  I'm replying in kind to the quote written to me.

If you're going to jump into another discussion, at least read what has been said previously.

You're slipping into ad-homs now.

Not "ad hominem" at all. I called your made-up quote silly. And I notice that you haven't offered any defense of it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, placeholder said:

That is what the montage shows. Trump holding a bat and the bat is next to Bragg. That's why the images were juxtaposed. Why do you think those images were juxtaposed? In order not to show a bat next to Trump?

The bat is next to Trump, not next to Bragg.  It certainly isn't next to Bragg's head.

Do you honestly see the bat next to Bragg as you claim?  You don't see Trump in the photo between the bat and Bragg?

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

The bat is next to Trump, not next to Bragg.  It certainly isn't next to Bragg's head.

Do you honestly see the bat next to Bragg as you claim?  You don't see Trump in the photo between the bat and Bragg?

It's a montage. In the montage the bat is next to Bragg. It doesn't matter that it doesn't reflect reality. Why do you think the montage was created? Why do you think Trump reposted it? Because it proves he didn't hold a bat next to  Bragg?

Edited by placeholder
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

I’m betting if someone posted a similar montage comprising them swinging a baseball bat alongside a picture of your child’s head or the head of your wife, with attendant text discussing possible violence, you’d take it very seriously.

So you're saying the bat photo would be a threat to my wife or child, and if they also posted a text discussing a riot somewhere, that would be a threat against my wife or child also?

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Not "ad hominem" at all. I called your made-up quote silly. And I notice that you haven't offered any defense of it.

I stated quite clearly that I was replying in kind to another user.  Up to you if you want to ignore that or not, but don't expect to make any kind of coherent comment if you do.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

So you're saying the bat photo would be a threat to my wife or child, and if they also posted a text discussing a riot somewhere, that would be a threat against my wife or child also?

I’m saying exactly what I posted.

Don’t try to go all literal on stuff I didn’t say.

• Confused 1

If the person posting the photo also blamed your wife's and your child's actions for inciting a riot, then yes.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

I stated quite clearly that I was replying in kind to another user.  Up to you if you want to ignore that or not, but don't expect to make any kind of coherent comment if you do.

But it was still a silly made-up quote. It offers no justification for the fact that he's holding a bat.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, placeholder said:

But it was still a silly made-up quote. It offers no justification for the fact that he's holding a bat.

I was replying to a "silly made-up quote" and we weren't even discussing the bat photo.

As I said, read the conversation before making irrelevant comments that make no sense.

• Love It 1

6 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

It's no retreat at all.  People are saying the picture shows a bat next to Bragg's head, I'm saying they're lying.

To me you are splitting hairs. He is threatening him with a baseball bat whether it is aimed as it is head or body isn't really a key issue though one could say if you swing a baseball bat you are likely to hit the upper part of the body. It seems odd to focus on this minor issue given the themes in his tweets but ok maybe he is indicating a threatening gesture that may not hit his head.

Edited by Fat is a type of crazy
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1