Thaksin back in Thailand on May 16th - calls for a landslide election victory to get country out of a "black hole"

webfact

2 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

Thaksin took it to a whole new level.  You should look it up.  Especially the "rice pledge scheme".  It's like something from a Hollywood movie.

In most places, people would remember what Thaksin did in the past and would never vote for him again.  In Thailand they simply think "he gave me money, I like him".

People are free to vote for him, of course, it's just funny when someone says something about democracy, human rights, or law and order when discussing a Thaksin proxy being elected.

Really not funny when you understand what is the meaning of democracy. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

Really not funny when you understand what is the meaning of democracy

Is it something like this:

Democracy

noun

When a wealthy and corrupt business man from a rich and well connected family buys his way into power and then uses the country as his personal business, silencing critics and rewarding cronies, changing laws as he sees fit to allow maximum corruption, while using industrial vote-buying funded by illegal and economically disastrous speculation schemes to maintain power.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

I love the way many people who claim to be the good guys, and claim to support the moral and good choice of candidate, also gently threaten those who support the "bad guys" or question/doubt the "good guys" with consequences once the "good guys" win.

If your team or your candidate is planning any kind of revenge or punishment for anyone who supported the opposing team, you are not the good guys.

Which basically rules out everyone of significance in Thai politics. 

Ideally there would be a reckoning for all who have committed major constitutional breaches but one would settle for a peace treaty where all elections in the future are decided by a fair vote under a more reasonable constitution. 

How that is achieved is anyone’s guess. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, racket said:

I would be cautions, the guy is most likely welcomed back because he certainly made concessions with the thai elite. This country is ran by a conglomerate of families, and in the end the ordinary Thai citizen will remain the biggest loser. 

On top of that, he must have made concessions with the west to make sure business deals are set in place if he decides to make a comeback and run for political office. 

Thailand is not better off going from a corrupt leader to another, they really need somebody new and young from the middle class and understands what needs to be done to fix this country moving forward. What this means for foreigners living in Thailand also remains a big question, because as I remember, foreigners weren't treated well during his reign.

The police force was so damn corrupt when Thaksin was in power, and that's something I give credit to Prayut for dealing with it (somewhat), but not to the extent that it has been effective for all these years he's been in power.

Too early to celebrate IMO, but again, the ordinary thai is the loser either way.

Thaksin isn’t the future but some sort of reconciliation with the establishment is likely necessary for the country to end these insane political cycles. 

If him returning is a part of that then so be it. He’s no greater risk to the future of the country than leaving things as they are now and have been since 2014. 

• Like 2

I am waiting now to see who is going to argue that PT should be banned as a party and removed because a convicted criminal is electioneering for them.

Thaksin saying this is just a way for him to gin up support from those that remember the good old days

The problem that they are going to face, though is the threat or promise of his return is going to give some of the other parties the necessary fuel to add to their fire.  Remember he was ousted by protest and a coup.  

There are still a lot of people that think he was/is guilty and do not remember the Thaksin days as the good ole days.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, webfact said:

Thaksin - a fugitive from Thai justice but a former leader who hopes his party can sweep to power and inspire his triumphant return to Thailand - said that his country was in a "black hole of misery".

The latter part is true, but I'm not sure he's the answer.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Phoenix Rising said:

Welcome back Thaksin, rightful PM of Thailand. The old elite have grown fat at the trough and a stirring of the pot is needed.

Hopefully, this time you'll be in power long enough so that another repeat of the endless coup cycles  will no longer be possible.

Hopefully you will reverse the old dinos' shameful disqualification of people like Tanathorn so that one day maybe, just maybe....... 

I really hope that will be the case.