Thailand Reverses Visa Policy for Tourists From 60 Countries

snoop1130

1 minute ago, pp00 said:

Monetary issue of course. The money filled desk drawers in the immigration offices are dry, give people trouble to make them pay... that is the Thai policy towards foreigners.

Of course, they could tell by their records that giving 45 days wasn’t making money, 30 days then the additional fee to extend it.

Just wait. In the U-turn county the next U-turn is soon in sight, as always, after many people complain. But by then the reputation is further damaged. Reliability? Trust in laws and rules? Not in this country. They change rules literally over night. Accounyability for it? Nope.

Edited by pp00
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Jumbo1968 said:

You booked a flight knowing the 30 days was going to end on the 31st of March, t was never mentioned it was going to be extended was it ? it’s low season for Europeans now plus the high air fares isn’t exactly encouraging Europeans to come.

Well i booked not knowing they end it. And yes high air fares do not encourrage many to come. But welcoming attitude, less institutuinal discrimination and even flight ticket discounts ( programs that were very successful in the past, like cheaper air tickets supported by the tourism authorities) could help. None is being done.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

18 minutes ago, pp00 said:

Well i booked not knowing they end it. And yes high air fares do not encourrage many to come. But welcoming attitude, less institutuinal discrimination and even flight ticket discounts ( programs that were very successful in the past, like cheaper air tickets supported by the tourism authorities) could help. None is being done.

The airlines are still ‘recovering’ from Covid add into that staff shortages meaning fewer flights then the high oil price which has fallen but now OPEC has cut the output forecast is oil will soon hit $100 again therefore I can’t flight prices coming down not unless the airlines struggle to sell seats.

I can see the 45 days being reinstated in October then again we will have a new government so no one knows what the future holds.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Sheryl said:

VOA and visa exempt  are totally different things.

If you are from US you will get a visa exempt entry. NOT a visa on arrival (VOA).

It allows you to stay 30 days. If you will travel onward to VN within that period then no need for extension. You will get a new visa exempt entry upon your return to Thailand which will allow a stay of up to another 30 days.

You may need to show the air ticket to VN when you check in for original  flight  to Thailand and then the return flight out of Thailand when checking in for VN-Thailand segment as people entering visa exempt are supposed to have proof of onward travel and some sirlines ask to see it. 

When you land go to the regular immigration counter. Do not go to the separate section for visa on arrival. 

Thank you.   I believe that the round trip ticket to Vietnam will be purchased in Thailand.   We will apply for the Vietnam visa prior to leaving for Thailand.   

I will have a return ticket to the U.S. of A. when I arrive in Thailand. 

Edited by radiochaser

13 hours ago, WHansen said:

Strange. The longer a tourist stays, the more money they spend

That is true, But its also true that you can get a Tourist VISA that give you much longer stay but that comes with a cost that they will earn.

13 hours ago, radiochaser said:

I will be traveling to Thailand in June this year.  I have a return ticket from Thailand to U.S. of A. in August, so longer than 30 days. 

But wife (who will go in July) and I will travel to Vietnam for a week then return to Thailand on one of the airlines.    As I understand the VOA (or visa exempt), I will have 30 days when I first arrive.   I will also have a new 30 day VOA when I return to Thailand by air from Vietnam and will not have to apply for an extension to my first arrival. 

Is my understanding of the 30 VOA issue correct? 

Correct. But you can extend for another 30 days at the immigration office for B1900, even if not going to Vietnam. Your new 30 day visa on return from Vietnam is also extendable by 30 days.

I cannot imagine how the conversation with the PM went with the TAT.

PM: "We need more money from those pesky foreign tourists to support the economy."
TAT: "So true sir. We are doing our best. Rest assured that..."

PM: "So I have decided to bring the number of days for visa exempt from 45 to 30 days in order to get rid of those blooming foreigners faster."

TAT: "Wait, what???"

PM: "Yes, your job will be to keep the revenue up without us having foreigners here causing all the crime."

TAT: "Isn't this cutting off our nose to spite our face, sir?"

PM: "Stop sympathizing with the foreign devils and squeeze more money out of them in 30 days. Maybe double national park entrance fees."

????

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

14 hours ago, WHansen said:

yes I thought why not give a 60 days...would be perfect for retired people to escape European winter without visa hassle.
What is the logic behind it? Maybe they worry about illegal working? But some Farang making the scuba teacher illegally wouldn't be that big of a problem in compare to the extra profit

15 minutes ago, Purdey said:

I cannot imagine how the conversation with the PM went with the TAT.

PM: "We need more money from those pesky foreign tourists to support the economy."
TAT: "So true sir. We are doing our best. Rest assured that..."

PM: "So I have decided to bring the number of days for visa exempt from 45 to 30 days in order to get rid of those blooming foreigners faster."

TAT: "Wait, what???"

PM: "Yes, your job will be to keep the revenue up without us having foreigners here causing all the crime."

TAT: "Isn't this cutting off our nose to spite our face, sir?"

PM: "Stop sympathizing with the foreign devils and squeeze more money out of them in 30 days. Maybe double national park entrance fees."

????

And don't forget: Farang no take shower.....So they bring a lot virus to Thailand and prostitution and narcotics and corruption...that would all not be without dirty Farangs.
Maybe better reduce the visa exempt to 15 days.
Or why can't they simply transfer the money and keep at home?

1 hour ago, Adumbration said:

Very few tourist here now.  Lots of war refugees however.

I saw the airport pretty full and I got told Phuket is full with tourists. But that might be wrong...or just full in compare to a year ago...

14 hours ago, WHansen said:

Not all spend the same.

A "real" tourist (IMO) comes for 2 weeks, stays in hotel, eats in restaurant, takes taxis and tours. Average 5000B/day.

The "45days" tourists are people who (IMO) come to stay with gf or rent a room, buy mostly at 7/11, don't take tours, rent a Scoopy. Average 1000B/day?

There will be exceptions to each category, but in general the Thai economy needs the first, not the second type. And there is already more than enough of both.

As for "reversal", typical click-bait. The policy was for 3 months, they have expired, nothing to report.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Purdey said:

Maybe double national park entrance fees."

Many a true word said in jest.

Following the pandemic when the national parks reopened the entrance fee was cut from 400 baht to 200 baht.

Of course when the 400 baht is reinstated everyone will be whinging about how they just doubled it.

49 minutes ago, arithai12 said:

Not all spend the same.

A "real" tourist (IMO) comes for 2 weeks, stays in hotel, eats in restaurant, takes taxis and tours. Average 5000B/day.

The "45days" tourists are people who (IMO) come to stay with gf or rent a room, buy mostly at 7/11, don't take tours, rent a Scoopy. Average 1000B/day?

There will be exceptions to each category, but in general the Thai economy needs the first, not the second type. And there is already more than enough of both.

As for "reversal", typical click-bait. The policy was for 3 months, they have expired, nothing to report.

Quite. Years ago Thailand was a relatively cheap destination, airfares were quite reasonable, my first 3 trips I paid less than £350 return. The rate of exchange was very beneficial, went up to 75/£ at one point.

Unfortunately those days are long gone and "cheap" is no longer appropriate in the overall scenario. Continual complaining about admin procedures and costs is not going to change anything. Irrespective of what people on here think, Thailand will do what it feels necessary to keep going, just as it has done in the past.

The future of Thai tourism is going to lie with countries closer to home than with the west. The UK government for one is doing what it can to deter people from long haul flights and that will only get more aggressive as time goes by.

• Thumbs Up 1

16 hours ago, WHansen said:

I guess that's why the term "2 week millionaires" was coined and long termers bitch about them :coffee1:

Edited by Salerno

15 hours ago, Jumbo1968 said:

Not many people in regular employment get 30 days holiday never mind 45 days not unless they have ‘banked’ their holidays or taking unpaid leave. Are the government are trying to get people on a visa rather than stamp them in, monetary issue ?

That's weird.

Me and all of my colleagues have just short of 60 days/year.

That's a good 2 months.

Regular job, full time contract.

And each year we get an extra day, up to a maximum of 80 days.

I feel lucky I have a regular job...

For posters who say tourists should only get 15 days exemption, otherwise they'd steal local people's jobs....

I go to Thailand 2x a year for a month, and really don't want to work on a rice farm or 7/eleven.

• Confused 1

22 hours ago, Classic Ray said:

Having longer VOA or visa exempt entries reduces the opportunity for 1900 baht visa extensions. You should realise that the majority of funding for the Immigration Police, in common with other Thai state institutions, comes from the imposition of fees and fines.

They seem to have more than they can handle in Jomtien these days.... Immigration Police make loads of money and I don't think the legitimate 1900 extension fee is a big part of it. 

• Like 1