Brit in intensive care after Thailand moped crash as family can't afford to get him home

webfact

2 minutes ago, Mywayboy said:

Where is the proof of him wearing or not wearing the appropriate helmet.

Perhaps his traumatic head injuries suggested that he was not wearing one, perhaps there was no helmet found at the scene, perhaps it was reported that he wasn't wearing one.

Crikey another 1 Sad trust he makes Full recovery feel for all conncerned ???? No helmet according to his insurer's side of this story , l guess its on police & medical reports ?

Edited by Mad mick
  • Like 1

The thing is that even they will find the money to help the guy, the next similar accident is just around the corner waiting to happen, Thailand being a mega tourist's destination will always have the kind of tourists that will throw cation to the wind and behave carelessly and recklessly, what do you do to avoid the next Josh from happening? good question.

• Thanks 2

The thing is that even they will find the money to help the guy, the next similar accident is just around the corner waiting to happen, Thailand being a mega tourist's destination will always have the kind of tourists that will throw cation to the wind and behave carelessly and recklessly, what do you do to avoid the next Josh from happening? good question.

1 minute ago, Ralf001 said:
5 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

About time a rational, evidenced comment regarding insurance claims was posted here, well said.   

What evidence was presented ?

Personal, first hand knowledge presented by the poster.  What he said was 100% correct and that is based on my own personal, first hand knowledge of the insurance industry.  You may like to Google the percentages of insurance claims that are paid out by all areas of the industry...it is very high.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, webfact said:

The Ice Hockey player from Chorley, Lancashire, suffered a fractured skull but his insurers said they will not pay £160,000 to return him to the UK on a special air ambulance as they believe he was not wearing a helmet at the time

A hard lesson to be learnt.

9 minutes ago, Chivas said:

Completely and utterly untrue and I worked in insurance from 1986 to 1992

Every underwriter and claims department WANT to pay out normally (on all types of claim) because nothing fosters good will for an insurance company and huge repeat business when a perfectly normal claim is settled in full

What you fail to grasp (and so many others) is that every actuary EXPECTS there to be a certain claim percentage each year and premiums are adjusted accordingly up and down subsequently

I'll repeat that.....those claims are EXPECTED

In short we/they want to pay but no insurer will settle claims when the insured steps outside of his/her remit.

£160,000 claims are not denied (or accepted) by some junior office lackey......every single facet of the claim is examined by a suitable professional within claims checked and triple checked....period

yes, but ... as I see it, there are some issues with insurance policies, especially travel insurance

the first issue is unclear or "strange" clauses.

for example about motorcycle accidents, on some policies there are clauses that say passengers of motorcycles need themselves to hold a MC license to be covered.

in general conditions of coverage are unclear for drunk passengers, helmet regulations, etc.

the second problem is the relationship between formal coverage and practical pay out. insurance companies often pay out even when outside of their formal coverage policy. this is most often the case with reputable companies with good image whose policy premiums are expensive, while other companies would use strange clauses as the above to decline coverage. the expensive policies are not usually those offered on discount travel sites, and even then people often don't subscribe the travel insurance.

the other problem with this is of course the lack of information about insurance coverage. I tried to find out for myself, but was unsuccessful. Short of talking to the claims manager, I don't think it's possible to find out what these "unclear" policies cover and what not.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Chivas said:

Completely and utterly untrue

I remember well that my mother got cancer and her private health insurance refused to pay for treatment. Not something to forget.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 2

25 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

So no actual evidence then.... just a nice warm fuzzy story from a random person on the internet.

Search the insurance industry's pay-out record, it takes seconds to do.   

"...just a nice warm fuzzy story from a random person on the internet"

No, facts from anonymous people with industry experience on the internet versus uninformed opinions from anonymous people with no industry experience on the internet that choose to dispute the overall claims evidence, despite the ease of checking it!  Here's one source, there's many others...

https://www.unbiased.co.uk/news/financial-adviser/5-startling-facts-about-insurance-payouts#:~:text=So how much do insurers,policies were accepted last year.

"Travel insurers paid over £1,042 per claim in 2019/20 and the claims acceptance rate fell to 83%".

https://www.abi.org.uk/data/

Do you have any evidence that disputes these facts?  And quoting a couple of individuals' denied claims isn't representative of the whole industry.

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1