How Is a Retirement Visa Simpler Than a Marriage Visa?

I've had a Marriage Visa for the last 39 years here. I've heard that a Retirement Visa requires fewer documents. When I renewed my Marriage Visa the IO said I still need to take 10 photos of our house and I still need to have a neighbour vouch for me living where I do. I'll also need to have 800,000 Baht in a bank account for 3 months before the application. It seems like there is no difference between the two visas except that I don't need to show a marriage certificate and have the ampheur guarantee the certificate's validity. Is this right?

Edited by renaissanc
  • Confused 10
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, TaoNow said:

Although I have done the marriage extension in the past, for me, the clincher for doing the retirement extension (after age 50) was the fact that I could do this alone, without having to bother or depend on anyone else.

My policy in dealing with Thai Immo is that you will have much greater peace of mind if you know the ropes and that you can do it yourself - whatever it is.

Any reliance on someone else being there (or using an agent) means you are losing some degree of control of the process. 

Not worth it.

You are an ex-pat. 

Man up.

Show that you can do it yourself without holding anyone's hand.

'Nuff said.

Thank you for your reply. I can't do it myself because I am married and my wife and I have done the annual renewal since 1984. We've never used an agent. I'm just asking if there is any difference in the documents apart from what I've mentioned.

• Confused 3
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, MJCM said:

Advantages Retirement Extension

1- No under consideration period which can last up to 30 days+. (once I had to wait 45 days) In my office the Retirement one is granted the same day. (Took me 20 min last time)

2- No pictures needed of you and your wife

3- No visit to the Amphur for an Updated KR2

4- No stupid questions like do you have any kids together and when say NO getting strange looks (we are both in our 50's should we now start with kids :cheesy:)

Nr #1 was the one that decided for me to go for the Retirement one as I always hated it.

A friend was summoned back to the IO during the Under Consideration period because of some .... up, while he was away in BKK and had to rush back home

Thank you. Do you need to show 10 photos of your home as in the Marriage Visa?

14 hours ago, TaoNow said:

Although I have done the marriage extension in the past, for me, the clincher for doing the retirement extension (after age 50) was the fact that I could do this alone, without having to bother or depend on anyone else.

Amusing, I chose to get "marriage extensions" because I could let my wife handle the IO relationship, which she did quite well. Basically it was team work; we prepared the paper work together, at the IO I was sitting on the floor and panting will she was dealing with the p..ks. If I hadn't been able to rely on her I would have thought something was wrong in our marriage... Now I have gone the LTR route, which looked just too good to refuse. Future will tell.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, poppysdad said:

I’m perfectly happy to continue doing my extensions based on marriage

You certainly had a helpful io.

Do you have home visits? 

Strangely, that's one thing that would do my head in.

Can understand many saying that it's no big deal.

I wouldn't appreciate it. 

• Like 1

Retirement extension. Either 800k in the bank 5 months of the year and 400k the other 7 months OR 65k a month from abroad (via Wise?) and you can spend every last satang of it. Bank statements and book copies required ONCE A YEAR. Done.

• Like 1

Dr. Jack, we had a home visit first time which was no problem whatsoever to us and there was no mention yesterday that we would be getting another this time. But yes we could still get a phone call to expect one.
As for some saying they feel they lose control of the situation, I’m perfectly happy as one other said it’s a joint operation between husband and wife. My wife happily and in a friendly manner chats away with all the immi officers while we sit there, I rarely get spoken to, my wife handles everything with them and it all flows very smoothly. Perhaps that’s part of the secret as we have all seen some bad examples of expats who think they no it all and argue away with the immi officers.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

49 minutes ago, BangkokAlan said:

I went 11 days before my extension expired and my under-consideration period is 21 days because of Songkran holiday, or it would have been less.

In our IO it would be 11 + 30 so 41 days.

Because for some strange reason they only start the under consideration period when your previous extension ends.