How high is your blood pressure that you take medication

steveb5

1 hour ago, The Fugitive said:

Unfortunately, we in UK weren't brought up with preventative medicine and believe that 'you're OK until you aren't'.

I was diagnosed with hypertension by my GP in the UK, who put me on medication. That was 30 years ago now.

Edited by Stocky
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Stocky said:

I was diagnosed with hypertension by my GP in the UK, who put me on medication. That was 30 years ago now..

Agreed, diastolic readings over 90 were/are regarded as abnormal. I received treatment in mid-eighties (was 165/110). However, the dose was gradually reduced to zero. My BP reduced to normal and has remained normal since. Never taken any regular medication since. Present day reading; 128/80. 

8 minutes ago, Stocky said:

Lucky for you.

Debateable, doctors who have seen my record and I've told them this story shake their heads saying; 'Blood pressure treatment doesn't work like that'. 'Either you never really did have raised blood pressure (faulty equipment) or the staff didn't know how to take readings'. As you know, a history of high blood pressure does you no favours at all!

15 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Beta blockers are no longer recommended for first lien treatment of hypertension (though they are still very useful for other things including some heart conditions).

For first line treatment of hypertension nowasdays: ACE inhibitor, ARB, or calcium channel blocker.

If these alone do not do the trick, or if there is heart failure present,  a diuretic may be added.

You should have addressed that to the post I responded to, I am quite aware of the treatment I have received.

14 hours ago, BigStar said:

What did the statement say? Both cases would need meds, or a change of lifestyle, to bring the numbers into normal range.

The 85 year old doesn't get a free pass. But he's probably let himself go so many years already that I'd question how much lifestyle change alone--to the extent achievable--could help. Some, perhaps, depending on his condition. He'd probably just add meds to his current stack.

A study of interest:

The researchers concluded that, for adults aged 80 years or older, intensively controlling systolic blood pressure to less than 120 mmHg lowers the risk of heart attacks, stroke, death, and mild cognitive impairment, but increases the risk of declines in kidney function. [most got the kidney issue under control]

--Blood Pressure Control for People Aged 80 and Older: What’s the Right Target?

It doesn't matter what statements or researchers say, it is an individual situation.

Elevated BP would be far more of a concern to someone younger facing a lifetime of medication. Lifetimes are much shorter in the elderly.

I know from experience, not research, what it means to be told in your ealy 30s to take pills for the rest of your life.

21 minutes ago, sandyf said:

It doesn't matter what statements or researchers say, it is an individual situation.

No, as shown in this thread as well as countless others, what the science says does matter in individual situations, as rational individuals know well. 

Elevated BP would be far more of a concern to someone younger facing a lifetime of medication. Lifetimes are much shorter in the elderly.

And so an elderly person may well value his remaining time even more than someone younger. Having even less of something precious typically does.

I know from experience, not research, what it means to be told in your ealy 30s to take pills for the rest of your life.

But that's just you, and it appears you took your pills as recommended. You may stop if you wish. Irrelevant to some other elderly person's similar decision to prolong his own life, even enhance its quality, for the limited time available to him. I presently know a couple of guys in their 80s going through considerable ordeals--far more than just taking BP medicine--for exactly that reason. 

Edited by BigStar

9 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

And your still taking it ???

Still on medication yes. The medicines have evolved, I started on a beta blocker which I didn't like, moved to a calcium channel blocker (Adalat) that worked well initially, but over time my BP started to rise again. Changed to an ACE inhibitor (can't remember which one) which gave me a dry cough, so I was switched to an ARB - Losartan which works well at keeping my BP normal.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Stocky said:

Still on medication yes. The medicines have evolved, I started on a beta blocker which I didn't like, moved to a calcium channel blocker (Adalat) that worked well initially, but over time my BP started to rise again. Changed to an ACE inhibitor (can't remember which one) which gave me a dry cough, so I was switched to an ARB - Losartan which works well at keeping my BP normal.

What are the pros and cons of these different type of medications?

Whats the best? Or it depends on the individual?

e.g. calcium channel blocker, ARB, ACE inhibitor...

(I've been on Candesartan cilexetil 16mg (Angiotensin Receptor Blocker) for about 10 years)

11 minutes ago, ravip said:

What are the pros and cons of these different type of medications?

Whats the best? Or it depends on the individual?

e.g. calcium channel blocker, ARB, ACE inhibitor...

(I've been on Candesartan cilexetil 16mg (Angiotensin Receptor Blocker) for about 10 years)

Personally, I've found the ARB - Losartan to be the most effective - I've been taking it for 14 years now. I was on Adalat 15 years and that worked fine until it didn't. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, BigStar said:

No, as shown in this thread as well as countless others, what the science says does matter in individual situations, as rational individuals know well. 

And so an elderly person may well value his remaining time even more than someone younger. Having even less of something precious typically does.

But that's just you, and it appears you took your pills as recommended. You may stop if you wish. Irrelevant to some other elderly person's similar decision to prolong his own life, even enhance its quality, for the limited time available to him. I presently know a couple of guys in their 80s going through considerable ordeals--far more than just taking BP medicine--for exactly that reason. 

Good deflections, but the bottom line is it does matter at what age you develop elevated BP. The causes can be different, the treatment can be different and the consequences can be different.

Science and research have only ever been there for guidance, not obedience and everyone is free to take their own view on the matter.

I definitely have white coat syndrome, typically 140/75 at any hospital or clinic. At home and at rest, 115/65.

I progressively eliminated anti-hypertensives via diet and exercise. I keep 25 mg of Losartan as a standby, have not needed it for several months. Just as well, because pharmacies in Australia have to back order it, whereas it is as common as soi dogs in Thailand.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, sandyf said:

Good deflections, but the bottom line is it does matter at what age you develop elevated BP. The causes can be different, the treatment can be different and the consequences can be different.

Good straw man, but the point of my original post, in response to a false assertion, was that the ranges of healthy blood pressure are the same irrespective of age. I didn't address causes, treatment, or consequences. Treatment is between doc and patient. Causes may vary but many are common. The consequences of high blood pressure are fairly predictable; and that's why you and millions of others take their meds. Now if you wanna expound about causes, treatment, and consequences, and talk about yourself, be my guest. 

2 hours ago, sandyf said:

Science and research have only ever been there for guidance, not obedience and everyone is free to take their own view on the matter.

If someone wishes to ignore the science and redefine healthy blood pressure for themselves as 140 and ignore it, up to them. Why should I care? Nor did I suggest that I do. You don't have a point.

On 4/6/2023 at 9:59 AM, brewsterbudgen said:

Interesting. Were you taking 10mg or 20mg?  I've been on 10mg for 5 years without any side-effects.

It was 20mg.

Like Sheryl said, not all people suffer from the water retention side effect..........Only special people, like me 555

9 hours ago, Lacessit said:

I progressively eliminated anti-hypertensives via diet and exercise.

I never cease to be amazed at how few people even try to lower it themselves

Instead take a pill & get good enough numbers yet never changed the cause

Same with cholesterol meds so many take them & continue to eat what caused it in the first place

And yes before anyone says it I am aware there are folks that cannot change things thru diet or exercise....but truth is few try,

Same for doctors who never suggest alternatives FIRST

• Thumbs Up 2

I take my BP daily at home and it can be as low as 108/66 or as high as 132/84. Depends on different factors like am I stressed? Have I just eaten? Have I consumed caffeine?

I was told by a doctor that home BP machines don't work all that well after a year or so. He said if it looked high at home to have the BP checked by a doctor and make the adjustments for the at-home machine. He said if it's below 130 (systolic) you are fine but to keep an eye on it.

• Love It 1

2 hours ago, mania said:

I never cease to be amazed at how few people even try to lower it themselves

Instead take a pill & get good enough numbers yet never changed the cause

Same with cholesterol meds so many take them & continue to eat what caused it in the first place

And yes before anyone says it I am aware there are folks that cannot change things thru diet or exercise....but truth is few try,

Same for doctors who never suggest alternatives FIRST

When I look around at expats younger than me in my area, the majority of them seem to be bent on eating and drinking themselves to death.

12 hours ago, sandyf said:

Science does not care what you believe. Feel free to take your own view on the Second Law of Thermodynamics, no-one has ever been able to circumvent it.

4 hours ago, HuskerDo2 said:

I take my BP daily at home and it can be as low as 108/66 or as high as 132/84. Depends on different factors like am I stressed? Have I just eaten? Have I consumed caffeine?

I was told by a doctor that home BP machines don't work all that well after a year or so. He said if it looked high at home to have the BP checked by a doctor and make the adjustments for the at-home machine. He said if it's below 130 (systolic) you are fine but to keep an eye on it.

In fact, ALL Blood Pressure Monitors should be calibrated by the authorised service centre annually, or as recommended by the manufacturer. 

• Love It 1

59 minutes ago, ravip said:

In fact, ALL Blood Pressure Monitors should be calibrated by the authorised service centre annually, or as recommended by the manufacturer. 

100%! Several times I attempted to donate blood at our local mobile collection sessions. Each time my diastolic reading was over 100 and, of course, I was rejected. Same day I went to the local nurse who used an ordinary looking automatic machine and got 85. Next time I went to donate I noticed that the large machines (where your whole arm goes in) weren't there. Instead, staff used the small automatic machines. That has been the case ever since and my readings have been acceptable.

When I returned to UK last year my doctors receptionist insisted upon a BP check. She told me to use their large whole arm machine. The reading was outrageous and I was ordered not to leave the surgery until I'd been seen by a doctor. When another reading was taken upon a small automatic machine it was 128/80. 

It worries me that the Thai hospitals all seem to use those large whole arm machines! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, HuskerDo2 said:

Sounds like you're A OK!

7 hours ago, HuskerDo2 said:

Likewise Hospital  BP machines don't work all that well....  Depends which one you use.... found this years ago and still no different today...  regardless of which Hospital or Nurse or even Drs machines

Last week Hospital they have 3 brand new BP Machines = get the reading slip and take to the department where I see my Diabetic Dr.......... it is in the same waiting room the Nurse at that desk will also take my BP......  big difference as always but they write down both readings these days..   136/70  vs  152/78  !!!

Likewise with weight, brand new machine entrance to waiting room to Nurses station weight machine..  maybe 15 feet away and put on 7 kg !!

I take my BP daily at home, so even if my machine is a bit out at least it is the same every day and gives me a much better idea  = take BP amount according to this reading... [have a box with pills cut in halve so some day maybe need on 1/2 a pill or if high may take an extra 1/2]  same with my BS home machine take insulin amount according to readings

Edited by ignis
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, The Fugitive said:

100%! Several times I attempted to donate blood at our local mobile collection sessions. Each time my diastolic reading was over 100 and, of course, I was rejected. Same day I went to the local nurse who used an ordinary looking automatic machine and got 85. Next time I went to donate I noticed that the large machines (where your whole arm goes in) weren't there. Instead, staff used the small automatic machines. That has been the case ever since and my readings have been acceptable.

When I returned to UK last year my doctors receptionist insisted upon a BP check. She told me to use their large whole arm machine. The reading was outrageous and I was ordered not to leave the surgery until I'd been seen by a doctor. When another reading was taken upon a small automatic machine it was 128/80. 

It worries me that the Thai hospitals all seem to use those large whole arm machines! 

I am also  an avoider of whole-arm machines. I used to get readings of 200++ /over 120!

Now my appointment card for the hospital always contains the doctor's note -BP Manual, and the regular staff immediately produce the manual machine when they see me.

When attending for my covid injections, I always showed them copies of my appointments plus my hospital book showing manual recordings.

• Thanks 1

In this thread and in the links I have read that low blood pressure can be dangerous to the kidneys, should I be concerned?

I am 75 years old 178 cm and 75 kg. I walk/run with sprints with my dogs almost every day for at least an hour. I eat healthy, do not smoke and drink alcohol moderately.

My blood pressure first thing in the morning varies between 110-115/55-60 and the pulse 55-60

At the yearly health check my blood pressure is higher, but the doctors only concerns are that my bad cholesterol is a little high, but I will not take statins, the other values are in the normal ranges. I do not take any medications.

Sorry for my post is some off the thread.

3 hours ago, perconrad said:

In this thread and in the links I have read that low blood pressure can be dangerous to the kidneys, should I be concerned?

I am 75 years old 178 cm and 75 kg. I walk/run with sprints with my dogs almost every day for at least an hour. I eat healthy, do not smoke and drink alcohol moderately.

My blood pressure first thing in the morning varies between 110-115/55-60 and the pulse 55-60

At the yearly health check my blood pressure is higher, but the doctors only concerns are that my bad cholesterol is a little high, but I will not take statins, the other values are in the normal ranges. I do not take any medications.

Sorry for my post is some off the thread.

Your blood pressure readings are not low. They are normal.

• Like 1