Dutch Woman Arrested at Phuket Airport Claims Immigration Officer Forgot to Stamp Her Passport on Entry

webfact

4 hours ago, ChipButty said:

I find it bit over the top, this could easily be sorted out, the article doesn't mention if she landed at the airport or not, if she did then her ticket would show what date she landed, 

To be locked up for 5 days is a bit to much,

It would be good to hear her story about the nightmare 

1 - when did you last hold a plane ticket?

2 - why would you want to keep a boarding pass after leaving the airport, unless it was to keep as a souvenir/post a photo on social media?

To be locked up for 5 days is a bit too much. Yes.

2 hours ago, brianthainess said:

DUE TO THE IMCOMPADANCE  of our staff,

"...IMCOMPADANCE..."

Oh, the irony, the 'kin irony.

[Edit] And the irony is compounded by the "confused" emojis!  Does anyone know what (1) "Irony" means and, (2) what "Imcompadance" means?!

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Confused 2
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Thomas KH said:
24 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Which countries do not stamp a permission to stay date in foreigner visitors passports or provide a notification of the validity of stay until date?

Australia, Hong Kong, Israel, Macau and Singapore do not stamp passports upon entry nor exit.

So how is the visitor advised of their valid length of stay?

Before copy and pasting from Wiki you should have read the rest which confirmed that a landing slip with 'permission to stay until' date is provided.  My question to which you just responded contained reference to that notification.

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, webfact said:

She claims when she entered Thailand recently an Immigration Officer forgot to stamp her passport.

Use their brains. If she is in Thailand and from Holland, unless she swam the Mekong she arrived at the airport. She says recently so it's not a long term issue.

What takes 5 days to figure out? Look at the manifest for the flight she arrived on.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, pomchop said:

Rule 1:  Always check to see what date/stamp etc is put or not put  in your passport before you leave immigration no matter what country you are entering.

Rule 2:  See rule 1.

I started checking my passport stamp before leaving the imm desk after reading here how many had the wrong date stamped.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, phetphet said:

I started checking my passport stamp before leaving the imm desk after reading here how many had the wrong date stamped.

Right it seems a fairly common mistake by the IO's to incorrectly stamp your permission to stay, so having said that its quite possible they forgot to stamp anything in her passport?

Most folks who are not frequent travelers would probably not check after getting stamped in?

1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Which countries do not stamp a permission to stay date in foreigner visitors passports or provide a notification of the validity of stay until date?

It's called Schengen/EU. Netherlands for example.

Can't tell the number of countries.

No immigration check, no stamp.

And that since long. In the late 90s or so I drove with my Thai wife to Switzerland and from long past memory I expected passport check at least. Nothing.

My last stamps in passports where from communist east Germany, USA and then Thailand.

Edited by KhunBENQ

8 hours ago, ukrules said:

I bet they kick her out and blacklist her to make this story go away.

Then when she gets home and the EU media gets a hold of the story it goes viral globally.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:
4 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

It's called Schengen/EU. Netherlands for example.

Can't tell the number of countries.

No immigration check, no stamp.

And limited to 90 days.

4 hours ago, alex8912 said:

But you responded to someone who said " stamped" then you ADDED more to his post to make YOU look correct!  Got it now? 

No I did not add anything to his post, this is what I posted and what he responded to...

"Which countries do not stamp a permission to stay date in foreigner visitors passports or provide a notification of the validity of stay until date?"

Got it now?

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

17 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

So how is the visitor advised of their valid length of stay?

Before copy and pasting from Wiki you should have read the rest which confirmed that a landing slip with 'permission to stay until' date is provided.  My question to which you just responded contained reference to that notification.

18 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Won't argue. Responded to one of your two questions. The "or" gave me an option to respond to either of the two, regardless of whether I copied/pasted it from Wiki or the South Park Tribune or searched it on Boogle.

Ach Mann, Stress ohne Ende.  I'm too tired for this. Have a pleasant Chakri day 

3 hours ago, Thomas KH said:
21 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Won't argue.

Don't alter other members posts as you did when you are quoting them, the forum rules are very clear about that.  I did not post the comment above in that form that you attributed to me

• Confused 1

On 4/5/2023 at 12:20 AM, ChipButty said:

I find it bit over the top, this could easily be sorted out, the article doesn't mention if she landed at the airport or not, if she did then her ticket would show what date she landed, 

To be locked up for 5 days is a bit to much,

It would be good to hear her story about the nightmare 

On 4/5/2023 at 3:01 AM, VinnieK said:

I lean on the illegal entry theory.

They did a border run and refused re-entry..then just walked into Thailand.

The chaos at some border crossings is crazy.

Nobody  at the main gate to check ins and outs.

No Illegal entry but didn't got a entry stamp.

On 4/5/2023 at 3:12 AM, brianthainess said:

Don't Airlines keep a manifest of passengers on flights ? this is all double Dutch to me, any IO making this mistake should be put in detention X2 the amount of time the poor unsuspecting tourist is. There are some who have never traveled before and don't know about checking their stamp or even if they get one, IO hands back your PP, put it back in your safe place, off you go all excited to start your holiday. They need SIGNS at the all Immigration points.

DUE TO THE IMCOMPADANCE  of our staff,

please CHECK YOUR PP STAMP. :coffee1:

She didn't arrive by airline but via a land border from Malaysia.

23 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

One forgotten entry stamp is a mistake, but two (or more) from the same flight (?) is incompetence.

They where traveling together and entered Thailand via a land border from Malaysia. (No flight)

• Thumbs Up 1

56 minutes ago, merijn said:

No Illegal entry but didn't got a entry stamp.

She didn't arrive by airline but via a land border from Malaysia.

They where traveling together and entered Thailand via a land border from Malaysia. (No flight)

Oops, read over that... But if it was the fault of the IO, it is still incompetence.

I don't buy the 'forgetful IO officer' theory

They were refused entry  and decided to leg it.

My opinion anyway 

I could say more abt the Malayan border crossings but I will err on the side of caution.

On 4/5/2023 at 4:10 AM, ukrules said:

I wonder what happened to the other Dutch dude who got arrested for the same thing?

A similar case happened to another Dutch man who also received assistance from the embassy too. Both of them did not receive any yellow or red cards, however. It is unclear if Thai Immigration will review the incidents or comment on them.

• Like 1

I just checked on the Dutch news and what I actually said one week ago, really happened to her too, it also happened to her travel buddy, strangely enough the news article was only about her, she did not understand this.

So what turns out to be the case: they forgot to stamp / enter her back in on the border from Malaysia and Thailand. This happens a lot since those visa run companies go to a place where there you can basically just walk out and in Thailand.

There is one booth to check out Thailand, then barely 50 meters further check-in and out malaysia, and then on the way back in the middle, a check in place for the thai side. This often goes wrong when 30-50 runners arrive at the same time. Specially as a first timer.

At those border areas, one can theoretically just walk back into Thailand, after checking out Malaysia, illegally. You could then also theoretically get out of Thailand again, without stamps, and check into Malaysia legally.

Edited by ChaiyaTH

On 4/5/2023 at 4:40 AM, pomchop said:

Rule 1:  Always check to see what date/stamp etc is put or not put  in your passport before you leave immigration no matter what country you are entering.

Rule 2:  See rule 1.

Exactly!!!

After getting the stamp in my PP for my Retirement extension I was handed back my PP and I was told 'all finished'. Looking I found that the stamp was there but it was not signed/initialed by the 'big  boss'. I returned the PP showing them that and they said, 'sorry', took my PP back and had it signed.

Another time when getting my PP back after a 90 Day check in I looked and saw that the slip they stapled showing the next 90 Day check in date didn't have my name on it, it had another person's name. I handed the PP back and they again said, 'sorry' and corrected it.

Always check before leaving the window....or at a minimum the building.

20 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

At those border areas, one can theoretically just walk back into Thailand, after checking out Malaysia, illegally.

Quite a mess and haven for ill minded people/criminals.

Similarly open at Nong Khai into Laos.

You could just walk through. No one would stop you.

A mate once thought it would be unnecessary to check in to Laos.

Just do some duty free and then drive back over the bridge.

No, Thai immigration declined him without a Laos stamp and sent back.

50 minutes ago, VinnieK said:

I don't buy the 'forgetful IO officer' theory

They were refused entry  and decided to leg it.

My opinion anyway 

I could say more abt the Malayan border crossings but I will err on the side of caution.

Are you Vinnie the V of old?

This happened to me a number of times back in the early 90's at Betong.

The Thai IO, at that time, was located in Betong, about 6km from the border. If entering from Malaysia close to the 6pm closure, the Betong IO would have closed by the time you arrived from the border.

Not a problem for those only staying for a day or two before heading back to Malaysia (getting stamped in and out at the IO office with no hassle). Any travellers heading further into Thailand may have had an issue if not overnighting at Betong and receiving the stamp the next day.

Also had this happen at Tak Bai when crossing the river by long tail boat. Again, next day stamp in / out was not an issue.

1 hour ago, KhunBENQ said:

Quite a mess and haven for ill minded people/criminals.

Similarly open at Nong Khai into Laos.

You could just walk through. No one would stop you.

A mate once thought it would be unnecessary to check in to Laos.

Just do some duty free and then drive back over the bridge.

No, Thai immigration declined him without a Laos stamp and sent back.

Yes but it is also confusing if you are not a long timer or frequent visitor as you do actually pass by a total of 3 booths, it can give you the idea that was the end of it, while you then still have to go back again to the middle for the 4th booth.

Sometimes there are such big groups hanging in front of that 4th booth, it seems there is nothing to see there, until the driver starts yelling we need to hurry up and get back to the minivan, and before you know you follow the herd without having gotten a stamp.

I guess our driver was good as he actually checked the stamps of each passenger before we would leave, some were send back too to finish the process.

Just did this 2 months ago so that is very recent and similar timeline.

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Thumbs Up 2

I also flew into Phuket Airport myself. There are many passport control boxes and many were not manned when I arrived. It is possible to simply walk past an unmanned immigration box and go straight to the baggage carousel.

Download.jpeg

Edited by tomacht8