Rupert Murdoch Can Be Forced to Testify in Defamation Trial, Judge Says

onthedarkside

4 hours ago, Slip said:

Any source other than your proverbial?

4 hours ago, Slip said:

Any source other than your proverbial?

https://bc-llp.com/civil-litigation-discovery-process/

How Does the Discovery Process Work?

During discovery, opposing parties should turn over emails, electronic documents, paper documents, and other information that could be relevant to the claims. Parties can submit motions to the court asking for specific information to be turned over, and this is common in situations where plaintiffs believe they have not been given all relevant documents.

In addition to turning over information, the discovery process can also involve interviewing witnesses and finding out what the witnesses know. Witnesses can be sent written questions, called interrogatories, or can be interviewed on the record in person through depositions.

Edited by onthedarkside
Text reformatted

12 hours ago, Longwood50 said:

Things like this have a tendency to have unintended consequences.  Fox will be able to through discovery obtain some pretty secretive information on the Dominion voting system and if it does have any vulnerabilities.  

Finding vulnerabilities, if they exist, will not change the lawsuit unless Fox can show that the vulnerabilities were exploited somehow to change the election result.  That's not going to happen.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, heybruce said:

Finding vulnerabilities, if they exist, will not change the lawsuit unless Fox can show that the vulnerabilities were exploited somehow to change the election result.  That's not going to happen.

I disagree.  If it raises the issue that the Dominion voting systems were not fully secure it raises "doubt" that the election results were accurate.  The election does not have to be overturned for Fox to prevail.  

Also as said, you have no idea what may show up in the discovery process.  When you are forced to give access to your company records, you never know what secrets may be discovered.   The entire process of discovery in a lawsuit is full of perils for both sides. 

14 minutes ago, Longwood50 said:

I disagree.  If it raises the issue that the Dominion voting systems were not fully secure it raises "doubt" that the election results were accurate.  The election does not have to be overturned for Fox to prevail.  

Also as said, you have no idea what may show up in the discovery process.  When you are forced to give access to your company records, you never know what secrets may be discovered.   The entire process of discovery in a lawsuit is full of perils for both sides. 

As noted, your post rests on a big "If".  What makes you think that the Dominion voting systems can be better analyzed by Fox than by Dominion and its many customers?  Also, if some obscure bug is found without any evidence that it was exploited, or could be exploited, why would that put the election in question for any rational person?

I can't argue with yous second paragraph.  The situation Fox News is in is proof of it.

Edited by heybruce

On 4/7/2023 at 9:05 AM, heybruce said:

As noted, your post rests on a big "If".  What makes you think that the Dominion voting systems can be better analyzed by Fox than by Dominion and its many customers?  Also, if some obscure bug is found without any evidence that it was exploited, or could be exploited, why would that put the election in question for any rational person?

Yes it is based on a supposition.  My point is when you give a legal team access to your corporate records, you have 'RISK"  Should they find anything that suggests that the Dominion Voting machines are vulnerable, it both destroys their suit against Fox, and it destroys their reputation.  

Which part of that is too complicated for you? 

On 4/7/2023 at 8:59 AM, Chomper Higgot said:

What’s not in dispute is FOX’s campaign of lies.

As Stalin said.  It matters precious little who votes.  It matters only who counts the vote. 

Same with the Truth.  It matters only who determines what the truth is, and candidly, I would sure not bet my life on your version. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Longwood50 said:

Yes it is based on a supposition.  My point is when you give a legal team access to your corporate records, you have 'RISK"  Should they find anything that suggests that the Dominion Voting machines are vulnerable, it both destroys their suit against Fox, and it destroys their reputation.  

So Fox News would have evidence suggesting the machines were vulnerable, and would not have displayed them or submitted them to the court? That would be incoherent.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, candide said:

So Fox News would have evidence suggesting the machines were vulnerable, and would not have displayed them or submitted them to the court? That would be incoherent.

Anyway, as the evidence I linked to show, the judge has already ruled that there is no factual basis for questioning the validity of the Dominion voting machines. The issue is going to be one of intent. Whether Fox acted with actual malice or reckless regard for the truth towards Dominion.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Longwood50 said:

It's not too complicated.  I just consider it an extreme long-shot, while you post your conjecture as if it were a realistic possibility.  As recent posts have indicated, the extreme long-shot seems to have become a fantasy.

3 hours ago, Longwood50 said:

As Stalin said.  It matters precious little who votes.  It matters only who counts the vote. 

Same with the Truth.  It matters only who determines what the truth is, and candidly, I would sure not bet my life on your version. 

Don't beat around the bush:  Are you saying that the Fox News pundits giving so much time to election deniers weren't lying?

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Longwood50 said:

You had a man so unpopular he could not win his own parties nomination twice. 

There's no doubt that the primary system is messed up.  Trump could win his party's nomination in 2024, despite all the headwinds, criminal cases, etc.  If he does, it won't be because Trump is "popular".   Make no mistake, Biden won both the electoral and the popular vote in 2020, and has a wide following among moderates.

"Joe Biden defeated Donald Trump 306-232 in the Electoral College and had a 4-point margin in the popular vote." https://www.pewresearch.org/politics/2021/06/30/behind-bidens-2020-victory/

• Like 2

I still think Fox will settle before the trial starts, but after the jury is selected (at this point).

The question is, does Dominion want to settle, and what terms would they require?

Presonally I'd demand a 7/24/265 continuously repeating chyron with the words: "We're lying sacks of excrement so believe us at your peril." And the occasional "Joe Biden won the 2020 election, so move on with your lives."

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

I read somewhere that Dominion doesn't want to settle. I think they would have by now. Settling would mean Fox would get some kind of agreement that lets them off the hook for the lies. Dominion don't want that. They will get their money anyway. Also, presumably Fox would escape penalties which should be a lot more than Dominion is seeking in damages alone.

Dominion's reputation as a vendor of election machines is at stake, and without a solid reputation in that field the company is worthless.  Dominion can't afford to settle.

Dominion knows this, which is why Longwood's suggestion that Fox might find something in their discovery process is unlikely.  Dominion wouldn't have gone this far if it weren't confident about its systems.

Edited by heybruce
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1