If i renew early , do i get the remaining Visa extended ?

if i have 2 mths remaining , and I go renew my visa now , 

by the time approved , i will have approx 1mth + left . non imm thai spouse visa. 

will this 1 mth + of visa be carried forward ? or will it just forfeited ?

Thanks in advance

Edited by bluebanana

From what the OP wrote I understand that he currently has a 90-day Non Imm O Visa for reason of marriage. 

When he applies for the 1-year extension based on that Non Imm O Visa, it is recommended to do this in the last week before Visa expiry. 

And this because he would lose the 'not used days' of his Visa Permit to stay, as the approved 1-year extension of stay will start from the day of application. 

Note that there will be no 'lost days' when applying for another 1-year extension from your current 1-year extension (it will be the same expiry date, only 1 year later).  Hence there is no reason to wait to apply for renewal of your 1-year extension, and it can be done at any time convenient for you in the period from 30 or 45 days before expiry up until the day of expiry. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BritTim said:

I have never heard of anyone losing time on a regular extension of an existing permission to stay. Where you do lose time is when applying for a Non Immigrant visa at Immigration to convert from a tourist entry. That is where you get a totally new 90-day permission to stay starting at the application date.

You are fully correct.  It are indeed the not-used days on your Permit to stay from your VisaExempt or Tourist Visa entry, that you would lose when applying early for the Non Imm O Visa.  Applying early for the 1-year extension of that Non Imm O Visa does not make you lose any days.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

No. That would be a gracious concession on the part of immigration, and that is just not within their nature. 

I have been told you can't renew more than two weeks from the expiration date. Was that bad information? There might be some exceptions, but be prepared to lose the remainder of time left on your visa. 

Wrong on several points.

You can renew 30 days before expiration, someplaces, sometimes 45 days.

You do not lose any time renewing early.  The new extension starts at the end of your current permit to stay.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 4/7/2023 at 7:01 AM, Dante99 said:

Wrong on several points.

You can renew 30 days before expiration, someplaces, sometimes 45 days.

You do not lose any time renewing early.  The new extension starts at the end of your current permit to stay.

Sorry this is wrong information if applying at Jomtien IO.

Retirement extension at Jomtien 1O, you Do not lose any days if you apply early.

Marriage extension at Jomtien IO, you Do lose the unused days of your current extension to stay if you apply early, as the new extension starts the day of application.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/6/2023 at 10:17 PM, BritTim said:

I have never heard of anyone losing time on a regular extension of an existing permission to stay. Where you do lose time is when applying for a Non Immigrant visa at Immigration to convert from a tourist entry. That is where you get a totally new 90-day permission to stay starting at the application date.

If you change your visa status the time granted will start from day of application and if you renew your existing visa status the time granted should be consecutive.

Changing an extension from retirement to marriage or vice versa would normally be seen as a change in visa status, as would conversion of exempt or tourist to Non O.

1 hour ago, sandyf said:

If you change your visa status the time granted will start from day of application and if you renew your existing visa status the time granted should be consecutive.

Changing an extension from retirement to marriage or vice versa would normally be seen as a change in visa status, as would conversion of exempt or tourist to Non O.

Of course, you do not change your "visa" status at Immigration. You can, under certain conditions, apply for a Non Immigrant visa at Immigration to "convert" from a permission to stay based on tourism to a new 90-day Non Immigrant permission to stay. That should be the only situation where your current permission to stay is cancelled and replaced by a fresh permission to stay. An extension of your permission to stay (even if the reason for the stay changes) does not cancel your existing permission to stay, it extends it. It should always add on to the previous expiry date of your permission to stay. As with anything else that involves Immigration in Thailand, officials at some offices may choose to interpret the rules in a way that is not intended.

31 minutes ago, BritTim said:

It should always add on to the previous expiry date of your permission to stay. As with anything else that involves Immigration in Thailand, officials at some offices may choose to interpret the rules in a way that is not intended.

Guess it's as you say immigration office variation thing.

I was under the impression that if reason extension based on changes (eg typical based on marriage to retirement or visa versa) that the extension would start from date of application. 

4 hours ago, couchpotato said:

Sorry this is wrong information if applying at Jomtien IO.

Retirement extension at Jomtien 1O, you Do not lose any days if you apply early.

Marriage extension at Jomtien IO, you Do lose the unused days of your current extension to stay if you apply early, as the new extension starts the day of application.

Well it is correct a lot of other places.

Anyway only fools used Jomtien IO and I thought they had all been sent home.

Surely nobody uses a marriage extension any more.

• Sad 2
  • Haha 2

15 hours ago, BritTim said:

Of course, you do not change your "visa" status at Immigration.

Visas are a facility to enter a country and once you have entered no longer useable inside the country.

Once people have entered a country they have visa status which can be exempt(waiver), tourist or whatever designated by the visa held.

Within Thailand there are unusual procedures that allow certain levels of visa status to be amended.

The constant whinging over loosing time when changing from one type of extension to another is down to a change in visa status.

Of course you and everyone else are perfectly free to believe what you choose, the sooner Thailand adopts international conventions the better.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

I was under the impression that if reason extension based on changes (eg typical based on marriage to retirement or visa versa) that the extension would start from date of application. 

That is correct, anything else is an office variation.

14 hours ago, Dante99 said:

Well it is correct a lot of other places.

Anyway only fools used Jomtien IO and I thought they had all been sent home.

Surely nobody uses a marriage extension any more.

You can not just choose your immigration office at whim so some must use Jomtien. The OP has not said his age? May be under 50. Are you suggesting they get an education visa instead of one based on marriage? If the OP has a multi entry visa can exit and enter before the last date of entry can get another 90 days making it a 15 month visa. 

22 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Guess it's as you say immigration office variation thing.

It is a pity that those offices that do not allow you to extend your permission to stay, but insist on cancelling and replacing it with a new permission to stay do not call the "extension" something else. It is bizarre that, for instance, such offices will usually correctly extend your existing permission to stay if you apply for a 60-day extension to visit your Thai spouse, but will cancel and replace your permission to stay if applying (at those offices for an improperly named) "extension" for other reasons.

7 hours ago, sandyf said:

Visas are a facility to enter a country and once you have entered no longer useable inside the country.

Once people have entered a country they have visa status which can be exempt(waiver), tourist or whatever designated by the visa held.

Within Thailand there are unusual procedures that allow certain levels of visa status to be amended.

The constant whinging over loosing time when changing from one type of extension to another is down to a change in visa status.

Of course you and everyone else are perfectly free to believe what you choose, the sooner Thailand adopts international conventions the better.

The change of visa status is requested with a TM86 form (or sometimes TM87). The TM7 form was never intended to include a request for a change in visa status. Indeed, the wording of Police Order 138/2557 in various places implies it cannot do so. However, we are not going to agree about the meaning of extension of temporary permission to stay, and I will allow your next reply to be the final word.