Democrats who might run for president if Joe Biden does not

Social Media

He's the oldest US president ever and his approval ratings are mired in the low 40s. Doubt is creeping in whether Joe Biden will run for re-election.

Those closest to Mr Biden, 80, insist his 2024 campaign launch is imminent, but the president himself does not appear to have made a final call.

And while polls show a majority of Democrats want the party to nominate someone else, top prospects say they will not challenge Mr Biden if he runs.

But what if he decides he will not?

The list below includes two long-shot candidates who have already launched their 2024 bids, and several more who could.

Probably be Gavin the California governor personally I’d like to see Al fraken he’s smart funney experienced well known well liked I think the women have forgiven him I don’t know but there’s something I sense in the man that makes me feel he would be a good one 

Edited by Tug

It seems the most we know is fed to us by the media, if you don't get sound bites you are lost in obscurity. But it should be a wide field if Biden decides not to run. Are shall be revealed. 

11 hours ago, Tug said:

Probably be Gavin the California governor personally I’d like to see Al fraken he’s smart funney experienced well known well liked I think the women have forgiven him I don’t know but there’s something I sense in the man that makes me feel he would be a good one 

Newsom obviously would run and would be a contender. Name recognition and he could raise lots of money. Ultimately though I don't think he would work because the country overall is understandably negative on California as a desirable national role model. People are leaving it (I did) with good reason. 

I love Al Franken and think it was tragic that he was railroaded out of the senate for a less than nothing comedic prank but I'm certain he wouldn't take on a run for president at this point. If he had stayed in the senate, maybe.

• Like 2

There is no way Bernie or Hillary will run again. 

I happen to feel Amy Klobuchar is underrated and would make a good president. But assuming Kamala Harris (meh) would run, it would get messy racially, like why are we replacing a black woman with a white woman?

Buttigeig is brilliant. Americans don't like presidents that are too brilliant so I don't see his lane. 

However, Biden is running, so this is all academic. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

POTUS is getting a bit long in the tooth… get some young blood that hasn’t been under bad political 

influence… should be a lack of performance clause for all politicians… if they’re not doing the job they were elected for oust them with no benefits..

Just now, DJ54 said:

POTUS is getting a bit long in the tooth… get some young blood that hasn’t been under bad political 

influence… should be a lack of performance clause for all politicians… if they’re not doing the job they were elected for oust them with no benefits..

Biden is performing well. He can run on a list of accomplishments and also has some failures that he will need to defend, like any incumbent.

Age discrimination alone is not a good enough reason not to nominate him if he runs, and again, he will run. 

• Like 2

Age discrimination is when someone in their 50's finds it hard to get a new job. Being concerned about someone starting a term at 82 is using logic and statistics.

My concern isn't so much that he is going to get dementia, or that his mind cannot function, or that internally he will suddenly not be a smart politically savvy guy.

It is that his communication skills are getting poor and have devolved in the past 5 to 10 years and statistics may indicate it's not going to get better but is likely to get worse. He is also likely to be get more tired and may have more limited mobility. This is a job for PRESIDENT. 

Of course his Vice Presidential pick will get more scrutiny than ever and with good reason. 

If he can prove me wrong during 2024, and be able to function as a normal politician with no slurring, short term mind fades, and with a bit of energy, then all power to him. 

Edited by Fat is a type of crazy

4 hours ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

Age discrimination is when someone in their 50's finds it hard to get a new job. Being concerned about someone starting a term at 82 is using logic and statistics.

My concern isn't so much that he is going to get dementia, or that his mind cannot function, or that internally he will suddenly not be a smart politically savvy guy.

It is that his communication skills are getting poor and have devolved in the past 5 to 10 years and statistics may indicate it's not going to get better but is likely to get worse. He is also likely to be get more tired and may have more limited mobility. This is a job for PRESIDENT. 

Of course his Vice Presidential pick will get more scrutiny than ever and with good reason. 

If he can prove me wrong during 2024, and be able to function as a normal politician with no slurring, short term mind fades, and with a bit of energy, then all power to him. 

This is all academic. 

If he's running against Trump it's America vs  fascism and Biden wins.

If the Republicans put up a sane conservative like Sununu they easily beat Biden.

Edited by Jingthing

Just now, Jingthing said:

This is all academic. 

If he's running against Trump it's America vs  fascism.

If the Republicans put up a sane conservative like Sunumu they easily beat Biden.

I had never heard of him but saw him on Bill last week and he seemed that good mix of sanity, and enough principles, while holding on to enough Republican ideals to keep them happy, as long as Trump doesn't go rogue as a third option. 

4 minutes ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

I had never heard of him but saw him on Bill last week and he seemed that good mix of sanity, and enough principles, while holding on to enough Republican ideals to keep them happy, as long as Trump doesn't go rogue as a third option. 

Well for whatever it's worth Republicans need to pledge support to their nominee to be allowed to debate.

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

Well for whatever it's worth Republicans need to pledge support to their nominee to be allowed to debate.

Trump will either not make the pledge or not keep it if he doesn't get the nomination.  His base won't care.

5 minutes ago, heybruce said:

Trump will either not make the pledge or not keep it if he doesn't get the nomination.  His base won't care.

He'll make the pledge to be allowed to debate but yes of course his pledges are worthless.

On 4/7/2023 at 8:29 AM, Misty said:

How about a Hillary Clinton - Donald Trump rematch?

Please God, let it happen.....Seeing Clinton lose again and watching purple haired, mustachioed Xe, Ze,  Zir, they, Persssss???? losing it one more time would be comedy gold....right fellahs?

• Confused 1
  • Love It 1

17 hours ago, HappyExpat57 said:

Can't we just install AI in a mannequin and call it good? Maybe take it a step further and make it a gender-neutral left-handed being of non-specific race and just be done with all the nonsense.

2024 election.jpg

Another instance of both-sidesism.

1 hour ago, 248900_1469958220 said:

Please God, let it happen.....Seeing Clinton lose again and watching purple haired, mustachioed Xe, Ze,  Zir, they, Persssss???? losing it one more time would be comedy gold....right fellahs?

Actually, whether it's Clinton or any other opponent, in a way it's kind of a no-lose situation for Trump. Because even if he loses in the official electoral count, his supporters will cry fraud and claim that he really won.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

27 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Actually, whether it's Clinton or any other opponent, in a way it's kind of a no-lose situation for Trump. Because even if he loses in the official electoral count, his supporters will cry fraud and claim that he really won.

Definitely. 

That Florida man and his apololyptic cult of maga fascists is an existential.threat to American democracy.

7 hours ago, Jingthing said:

This is all academic. 

If he's running against Trump it's America vs  fascism and Biden wins.

If the Republicans put up a sane conservative like Sununu they easily beat Biden.

So....which one's the fascist? 

As they're both clearly qualified.

• Confused 1