So ...your on the downhill run

On 4/9/2023 at 7:56 AM, KiChakayan said:

I am 70, and will be happy if I can make it to 76. This is the cut off where I leave my family with a monthly pension of about 4500 USD, plus assets. In the meantime I (try to keep) the lot happy.

why the need to mention the dollars

• Thumbs Up 2

20 minutes ago, tandor said:

why the need to mention the dollars

The topic, as I understand it,  is about what we want to achieve on our downhill run.. I like my objectives and achievements to be measurable. So I give a modest number  reflecting my limited ability.

• Sad 2

On 4/9/2023 at 10:10 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

Even if the mind is still fine, the body is just not capable of doing the same like 10 or 20 years ago. That's reality.

Or not?

It's only reality if you let it be. I'm going to attach a video summary about a guy called Arthur. The full video on You Tube goes for just over an hour, but if you don't find even this summarised video inspirational then you will always have the mindset of your body not being able to do what it could 10-20 years ago. 

Check out the other videos on You Tube about DDPYOGA and see the results people are getting. DDPY is not just for sportspeople to help them recover from injuries, it is also for every day people who want to avoid what has become the acceptable norm with regards to sore knees etc as we age. I'm 73 and currently suffer from bad ankles, knees, lower back & shoulders and after watching Arthur's story and the documentary "The Resurrection of Jake the Snake" ( wrestling fans will know who this is and who Scott Hall is ) my attitude is if DDPY can get the results it did for these 3 guys ( Arthur, Jake & Scott) then I have to give it a try. I'm not ready to be on that downhill slope just yet.

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, TigerandDog said:

It's only reality if you let it be. I'm going to attach a video summary about a guy called Arthur. The full video on You Tube goes for just over an hour, but if you don't find even this summarised video inspirational then you will always have the mindset of your body not being able to do what it could 10-20 years ago. 

Check out the other videos on You Tube about DDPYOGA and see the results people are getting. DDPY is not just for sportspeople to help them recover from injuries, it is also for every day people who want to avoid what has become the acceptable norm with regards to sore knees etc as we age. I'm 73 and currently suffer from bad ankles, knees, lower back & shoulders and after watching Arthur's story and the documentary "The Resurrection of Jake the Snake" ( wrestling fans will know who this is and who Scott Hall is ) my attitude is if DDPY can get the results it did for these 3 guys ( Arthur, Jake & Scott) then I have to give it a try. I'm not ready to be on that downhill slope just yet.

It's wonderful that Arthur is doing his best. But that doesn't negate reality.

Or why else are all leading sport performers young and not old?

• Thumbs Up 1

On 4/9/2023 at 9:54 AM, VocalNeal said:

Some of the money I have is what I understand is called Generational Wealth. So technically it is not mine I am simply the guardian for the next generation, as were my ancestors.

Sod that! Spend! Spend! Spend!

Or give it to me...... at least I will spend it wisely, your extended family won't.

• Sad 1
  • Love It 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Grusa said:

Sod that! Spend! Spend! Spend!

Or give it to me...... at least I will spend it wisely, your extended family won't.

So far not too bad for me. 5 years of paying for stepdaughter's university course resulted in success. Mrs happy with a 10 year old SUV. Niece, stepson and stepdaughter so far satisfied with twenty year old vehicles. Next it's houses for them!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, soalbundy said:

Filling ones life with activities and bucket lists isn't a source of happiness, fleeting enjoyment is just distraction but that is just my opinion.

Many can't bear silence and solitude because then something unknown starts nudging their consciousness and wants to shine through the baggage of 'me'.

Speaking for myself, activities and bucket lists take my mind off the reality of my existence, which is a good thing, and "silence and solitude" are all very well if busy with "activities and bucket lists", but not if they allow reality to sneak in, which only leads to feeling sorry for myself.

Short of winning lotto, that's not going to change.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Fugitive said:

So far not too bad for me. 5 years of paying for stepdaughter's university course resulted in success. Mrs happy with a 10 year old SUV. Niece, stepson and stepdaughter so far satisfied with twenty year old vehicles. Next it's houses for them!

I hope they thank Buddha every day for sending a big spending farang to live with them.

• Thanks 2

On 4/9/2023 at 2:17 AM, georgegeorgia said:

So I wondered now many of you are in your 70's , are you still making bucket lists for the next 10 years you have left ?

I'm planning on being here more than 10 years – I'm 73 now – and I have a lot of thing still to do, or continue to do...:thumbsup:

Why hoard your money at that age ,go out and spend it ,don't you think so instead of hoarding it 

In case I might live long time, it's not much fun penny-less...???? ...My plan is to have lots of fun...????

Furthermore I have a teenage daughter, who is my only heir, that might find it useful, if I don't manage to spend all my modest savings...:whistling:

So back to my original question,what have you got planned until your 83?

For the next decade, until I'm 83, is about one third or less of my planned remaining time here. I have a lot of writing to do – in my plans – and otherwise I just keep on doing what I already do, like in the saying: "We don't stop dancing because we grow old – we grow old because we stop dancing."

Worth to think about:
"The idea is to 'die young'... as late as possible", said by an extremely old lady posing as happy dancer, and: "Time does not exist – we invented it. Time is what the clock says. The distinction between the past, present and future is only a stubbornly persistent illusion." The latter comes from Albert Einstein, who should know a little bit about this relative time-thing...????

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

I'm 70, I started lifting weights with a trainer 6 months ago. Currently doing it every other day.

The results: Ok-ish, not that great; don't believe media hype. With such a late start, it may take 2 more years to get a flat belly. A great lesson in patience, humility, and acceptance.

I don't dread the gym anymore, I even miss it if I don't go; like I used to just show up and punch my internal time clock to meditate, I know I will progress, just not at my preferred rate.

My diet is good, my booze is about 4 units a week, my pot habit half a spliff a day. Beyond that and the exercise, I've dropped a lot of stress of about doing what I'm supposed to be doing, now that I am doing it.

Travel-wise, I have a friend in São Paulo who rates it as the most intellectual and pervy dating market in the world. Would love to do a Turkey, Iran (on a tour), Jerusalem, Marrikash swing through. Def a Mediterranean swing thru or three. The Chiang Mai smoke season is off peak for most places I still want to see.

I want more comfort and am willing to pay for it. Those 800 baht a night places have brutal mattresses. If a cab door to door from my BKK hotel to my Hua Hin hotel is "only" $60 more than the mini-van, this is the first year when I'm not thinking twice about it.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

It's wonderful that Arthur is doing his best. But that doesn't negate reality.

Or why else are all leading sport performers young and not old?

sorry but I don't see the relevance to your question. The topic is about older people being on a downhill slide physically, and I've suggested a means to slow/reverse that slide. Nothing to do with leading sports performers being young and not old.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, khunPer said:

I'm planning on being here more than 10 years – I'm 73 now – and I have a lot of thing still to do, or continue to do...:thumbsup:

In case I might live long time, it's not much fun penny-less...???? ...My plan is to have lots of fun...????

Furthermore I have a teenage daughter, who is my only heir, that might find it useful, if I don't manage to spend all my modest savings...:whistling:

For the next decade, until I'm 83, is about one third or less of my planned remaining time here. I have a lot of writing to do – in my plans – and otherwise I just keep on doing what I already do, like in the saying: "We don't stop dancing because we grow old – we grow old because we stop dancing."

Worth to think about:
"The idea is to 'die young'... as late as possible", said by an extremely old lady posing as happy dancer, and: "Time does not exist – we invented it. Time is what the clock says. The distinction between the past, present and future is only a stubbornly persistent illusion." The latter comes from Albert Einstein, who should know a little bit about this relative time-thing...????

Thats great to hear passing 54, and feel gravity is against me, but I had great use of gravity when younger for fun. Guess it is pay back time, and I enjoy a bit more less things on my agenda as semi retired retarded ????

• Like 1

Just now, LaosLover said:

I'm 70, I started lifting weights with a trainer 6 months ago. Currently doing it every other day.

The results: Ok-ish, not that great; don't believe media hype. With such a late start, it may take 2 more years to get a flat belly. A great lesson in patience, humility, and acceptance.

I don't dread the gym anymore, I even miss it if I don't go; like I used to just show up and punch my internal time clock to meditate, I know I will progress, just not at my preferred rate.

My diet is good, my booze is about 4 units a week, my pot habit half a spliff a day. Beyond that and the exercise, I've dropped a lot of stress of about doing what I'm supposed to be doing, now that I am doing it.

Travel-wise, I have a friend in São Paulo who rates it as the most intellectual and pervy dating market in the world. Would love to do a Turkey, Iran (on a tour), Jerusalem, Marrikash swing through. Def a Mediterranean swing thru or three. The Chiang Mai smoke season is off peak for most places I still want to see.

I want more comfort and am willing to pay for it. Those 800 baht a night places have brutal mattresses. If a cab door to door from my BKK hotel to my Hua Hin hotel is "only" $60 more than the mini-van, this is the first year when I'm not thinking twice about it.

Training all my life, and weights since 22, flat belly is a nice goal, but should not be measurement for healthier and more happy.

The road is the journey 

Just now, Hummin said:

should not be measurement for healthier and more happy.

The road is the journey 

Agreed. Like I said, the self-care and personal responsibility comittments have done as much for my well being as the dumb bells.

And the endorphin rise from exercise is subtle, but cumulative. It really is like water on a rock.

Magical thinking about drinking protein shakes goes nowhere. Educating myself about and including more high quality protein every time I eat or soon after is very doggedly taking a kilo off of me a month.

I learned a lot here from Big Star and Lacset and others. Not too many sources available about late age training from people who have actually done it.

• Thanks 1

On 4/9/2023 at 10:10 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

I enjoyed all my life including my work, and I am still working.

Will life get better when I will be older? Somehow I don't think so. Even if the mind is still fine, the body is just not capable of doing the same like 10 or 20 years ago. That's reality.

Or not?

Mostly true. But a lot has to do with your level of physical activity over the years. I'm 67 (retired), always kept active , running, swimming, mountain biking etc. I run 10k events now, won a few trophies, but the big reward is being healthy. Never too late to get the body back in shape.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Hummin said:

Thats great to hear passing 54, and feel gravity is against me, but I had great use of gravity when younger for fun. Guess it is pay back time, and I enjoy a bit more less things on my agenda as semi retired retarded ????

If you have a bucket list don't dilly dally about getting it done, as once old age catches up you may not be able to do it any more. I used to love tramping but no way I'd ever last the distance now.

BTW 54 is young. I was fine for another 16 years after that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Speaking for myself, activities and bucket lists take my mind off the reality of my existence, which is a good thing, and "silence and solitude" are all very well if busy with "activities and bucket lists", but not if they allow reality to sneak in, which only leads to feeling sorry for myself.

Short of winning lotto, that's not going to change.

Although counter intuitive the point was, there is no reality to existence, everything is a manifestation, nothing exists in and of itself. The Rishi sages whose meditative experiences 4,000 years ago lay the foundations of Hinduism said that only Brahman (we would say consciousness) is real, all else is Maya, an illusory 'reality'. Quantum theory (which nobody really understands as it too is counter intuitive) says all 'particles' (which are really vibrations) only come into apparent existence when the particle wave function collapses due to observation, until then it is only a probability and is spread out in the whole universe. Experiments in quantum mechanics have also shown that the future affects the past which lends credence to spiritual thinking that neither are 'real' and only the present moment 'exists' (although not really). It's a paradox of understanding of that which isn't but is never the less experiential.

10 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

Although counter intuitive the point was, there is no reality to existence, everything is a manifestation, nothing exists in and of itself. The Rishi sages whose meditative experiences 4,000 years ago lay the foundations of Hinduism said that only Brahman (we would say consciousness) is real, all else is Maya, an illusory 'reality'. Quantum theory (which nobody really understands as it too is counter intuitive) says all 'particles' (which are really vibrations) only come into apparent existence when the particle wave function collapses due to observation, until then it is only a probability and is spread out in the whole universe. Experiments in quantum mechanics have also shown that the future affects the past which lends credence to spiritual thinking that neither are 'real' and only the present moment 'exists' (although not really). It's a paradox of understanding of that which isn't but is never the less experiential.

Meanwhile in real life......................

Theories don't make me happy the way a pretty body next to me when I woke up did.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

If you have a bucket list don't dilly dally about getting it done, as once old age catches up you may not be able to do it any more. I used to love tramping but no way I'd ever last the distance now.

BTW 54 is young. I was fine for another 16 years after that.

I think I still do more than most, but when it comes to bucket list, Im done, and happy to go as things happening around me. Always wanted to ride motorbike a few more places, and a few more countries, but politics, conflicts and war have stopped me so far, and to be true, Im okay.

No more excuses for anything I do or do not do, and its a great feeling.

• Thanks 1