So ...your on the downhill run

Life expectancy calculators put me at a 92-97 check-out age.  I have a reassuring 85% chance of making it to 84.  

With new life-extending stuff in the pipeline and an 11 years younger wife, plus some money in the bank, I'm shooting for 100+.

I'll def be seriously chilling around '90 (at the latest). Prob go back go our Christmas tree farm in America. We just planted an orchard with that in mind on our back slope. 20 years from now, 4 kinds of pears plucked off a tree (by someone else) will be a big deal to me. And I'll be drowning in them.

If my wife goes first (50/50% possibility), I'd prob just run out the clock in my condo in Nimman.

Selling the farm would mean more money than I could ever spend. I wish I could send some of it down the time tunnel to my 20 year old self who had to had to walk to work for a month to save up for Mott The Hoople tickets (opening act: Queen).  

So either way, these current years (70 to 80) look to be the freest and best years of my life. And then the fade out looks to be as benign as it gets.

Elon Musk can have everything, but he can't buy the level of plush life, love and peace that I merely have to keep breathing to collect on. A lot of your life is down to luck, but some of it is down to personal integrity and growth.

Edited by LaosLover
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, LaosLover said:

Elon Musk can have everything, but he can't buy the level of plush life, love and peace that I merely have to keep breathing to collect on. A lot of your life is down to luck, but some of it is down to personal integrity and growth.

Elon Musk will work to he die, or end up as the misunderstood genius depressed and wine about AI.

Its a good thing we do not know the future, but we are reminded every how bad it is going to be! 

At least there is light in the end, hopefully The End, The Beautiful End!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, LaosLover said:

Life expectancy calculators put me at a 92-97 check-out age.  I have a reassuring 85% chance of making it to 84.  

With new life-extending stuff in the pipeline and an 11 years younger wife, plus some money in the bank, I'm shooting for 100+.

I'll def be seriously chilling around '90 (at the latest). Prob go back go our Christmas tree farm in America. We just planted an orchard with that in mind on our back slope. 20 years from now, 4 kinds of pears plucked off a tree (by someone else) will be a big deal to me. And I'll be drowning in them.

If my wife goes first (50/50% possibility), I'd prob just run out the clock in my condo in Nimman.

Selling the farm would mean more money than I could ever spend. I wish I could send some of it down the time tunnel to my 20 year old self who had to had to walk to work for a month to save up for Mott The Hoople tickets (opening act: Queen).  

So either way, these current years (70 to 80) look to be the freest and best years of my life. And then the fade out looks to be as benign as it gets.

LOL. I also thought that old age would be a pleasant existence, but old age has some unpleasant side effects that can kick such illusions into touch.

Elon Musk has enough money to afford the best that medicine can provide, unlike us normal folk.

I think he might be doing better health wise that you or I, when it comes to it, and for sure he can afford all the pleasures he wants.

3 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Once you understand the average age of healthy life expectancy is 62, an the disability free age of life expectancy is 63, then you can make plans for the reality of old age.

(Stats found by Chomper https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/healthandsocialcare/healthandlifeexpectancies/bulletins/healthstatelifeexpectanciesuk/2018to2020)

No plans would have allowed for me to live as I want to.

The only plan I had was to live with my wife, pottering around, watching movies and doing a bit of gardening.

That plan didn't work out very well.

Edited by thaibeachlovers
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Once you understand the average age of healthy life expectancy is 62, and the disability free age of life expectancy is 63, then you can make plans for the reality of old age.

(Stats found by Chomper https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/healthandsocialcare/healthandlifeexpectancies/bulletins/healthstatelifeexpectanciesuk/2018to2020)

Living to 100 would mean 37 years of sickness!

screen_shot_2015-11-27_at_12-20-48_pm.png

• Thanks 2

8 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Elon Musk has enough money to afford the best that medicine can provide, unlike us normal folk.

So then the thing for we normal folk to do is to try to ensure we can avoid the need for the docs and meds as long as possible.

• Like 2

The only people that I know that have died as early as 83 are smokers and two that had severe cancers.

I have absolutely no plans to shuffle off my mortal coil at 83 ...93 yes. despite the self-inflicted damage I've done through self medication over the years and a bit of smoking as a teen.

If you don't smoke and do not have any family history of severe health issues I don't see a problem of living to be 90 and in reasonably decent health. My uncle play tennis until he was 93, father lived until 93 although the last two years were not good and my mother is now 92 and doing well.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, gearbox said:

screen_shot_2015-11-27_at_12-20-48_pm.png

Data if nothing else is 15 years old. Everyone must die of something. I do not believe that over 50% of men between 50 and 70 develop critical illness or die. I don't understand that it seems absolutely absurd

• Like 1

On 4/15/2023 at 7:45 AM, BritManToo said:

Once you understand the average age of healthy life expectancy is 62, and the disability free age of life expectancy is 63, then you can make plans for the reality of old age.

Living to 100 would mean 37 years of sickness!

This is weak.

I'm pretty soft but I would not say I'm unhealthy and my weight is good. Back pain aside (which I developed during covid from sitting in a chair for huge amounts of time) I would say I'm pretty healthy.

Just kill yourself then?

Most people's health issues are self-induced. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Menken said:

I do not believe that over 50% of men between 50 and 70 develop critical illness or die.

Nearly all my pals died between age 45 and age 70, most before age 60.

At 67 I'm last man standing.

I have no wish to live any longer, I've done more than most, been to more places, banged more women, there's just nothing left I want to do.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

I have no wish to live any longer, I've done more than most, been to more places, banged more women, there's just nothing left I want to do.

Many years ago I felt this way. Living in ground zero Pattaya, not a very healthy life physically and I must admit spiritually. I decided that I probably would end up dead in 10 or 15 years of nothing else then cirrhosis of the liver or some sort of stabbing incident.

It was then that I had decided to draw on my hobbies as a kid packed up my gear and really started traveling hardcore (long, remote, cheap)  and left Pattaya. I never looked back and I never went back (one night to visit a friend). I got out and started circuiting around Asia again as the seasons allowed and spending lots of time back on the beach. I'm now with t my wife almost 15 years, she's a gem it's been a solid marriage. I can in some way credit her with a far better quality of life than I had settled on - and one I deserved better of. Through the years we had visited United States at least half a dozen times and the number of Asian countries. She's been to a few Scandinavian countries to visit her cousin a few times. She's been able to save about 1 million baht and I've also been able to save a considerable sum more than double that from work within Thailand. You're only as done as you feel assuming you have no serious illness. Reinvent yourself.

Wisdom from a chronic alcoholic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULssS4D0XSg

Edited by Menken
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

You don't like your home cooked food or a smoke or ..uggh .. a wine cooler. Don't like hanging out with the wife and kids. Riding the bike.  Don't like tinkering with solar or whatever. I don't think you need a specific aim or new thing to continue to want to live. Doing the same things that are fun isn't so bad. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Menken said:

The only people that I know that have died as early as 83 are smokers and two that had severe cancers.

I have absolutely no plans to shuffle off my mortal coil at 83 ...93 yes. despite the self-inflicted damage I've done through self medication over the years and a bit of smoking as a teen.

If you don't smoke and do not have any family history of severe health issues I don't see a problem of living to be 90 and in reasonably decent health. My uncle play tennis until he was 93, father lived until 93 although the last two years were not good and my mother is now 92 and doing well.

You forgot to include "has a good amount of money and has a decent place to live in"

Without those two items old age is a drag.

14 hours ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

You don't like your home cooked food or a smoke or ..uggh .. a wine cooler. Don't like hanging out with the wife and kids. Riding the bike.  Don't like tinkering with solar or whatever. I don't think you need a specific aim or new thing to continue to want to live. Doing the same things that are fun isn't so bad. 

To enjoy life one needs something to be passionate about. Without passion, life is just something to get through till it's over.

I was passionate all my life, and had an amazing life, but it's hard to be passionate about anything when half an hour of work is exhausting and one has no one to share one's life with.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

You forgot to include "has a good amount of money and has a decent place to live in"

Without those two items old age is a drag.

In Thailand it doesn't have to be. Old people need little.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Menken said:

In Thailand it doesn't have to be. Old people need little.

Good health cost money, or maybe more correct, if your health is not good, it cost alot of money to improve your health.

Edited by Hummin

What is the highest frequency tone you can hear at this point in your life?

The highest frequency tone one can hear, beginning from birth to death, can be graphed on a curve with a slope that is negative and never positive.

What is the highest frequency tone (sound) you can hear this year?

I can hear about 14.2kHz.

And, from now on in, I know that it will continue to be downhill from here.

What about you?

Edited by GammaGlobulin

16 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Define "little". I've seen posters on here that claim they need over 50,000 baht a month to live in LOS.

BTW, bar girls cost the same for old people- no old age discounts.

No I don't think you need as much at say 70yo or above living in 3rd world Asia whether that be Thailand or the Philippines or Cambodia.

You would drink less (hopefully) 

The only thing is medical costs 

2 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

No I don't think you need as much at say 70yo or above living in 3rd world Asia whether that be Thailand or the Philippines or Cambodia.

I was 70+ and my expenses were the same as when I was 30 years younger ( in LOS ). Costs of bar life went down, but cost of rent and food increased and more doctor visits, so balanced out.

1 hour ago, georgegeorgia said:

What medical costs?

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Define "little". I've seen posters on here that claim they need over 50,000 baht a month to live in LOS.

BTW, bar girls cost the same for old people- no old age discounts.

I've got around 110K baht/mo and doesn't always cover my expenses for 3 of us with no rent or car payments. I'd be living large as a single guy.

53 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

What medical costs?

Well my medical costs ,so far this year I have had liver pain , kidney pain ,bad back , bad knee, throat problems, asthma etc so I need to be near hospital and doctors 

Unfortunately I'm currently banned from my local GP practice as they say I was going too many times ,this is the state of the Australian health system 

• Haha 1