British tourists to Thailand: Are you really covered? Travel insurance warning for medical emergencies

webfact

14 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

"it is small because they do not want you to notice it".

Stop it, they do not.  Literal small print is a myth these days...unless you can post a verifiable current example of such a thing.

With the exception of car and motorbike insurance I have not looked at a policy in many years. If you are saying that there is no small print in insurance policies any more, then fair enough, that is the case, but what about all the legal jargon? You don't mention that, has that been done away with also? You would need a law degree to understand that.

Along with banks, insurance companies are the biggest crooks of all.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Bday Prang said:

Obviously disc brakes are more efficient, ( I have not suggested otherwise) and less susceptible to fade when working hard , But there is the question of proportion and context.

"Obviously disc brakes are more efficient,"

This is what I have been saying.

"have not suggested otherwise"

Yes you have, you keep saying they are as good as each other.

"But there is the question of proportion and context."

Any proportion better is safer and the context is which kind of brake is more likely to stop you quickly on a, possibly not very well maintained, rental bike.

I repeat I don't have an obsession and brakes are just one of the checks I do when renting.

I think we have done this to death now.

18 minutes ago, NoshowJones said:

With the exception of car and motorbike insurance I have not looked at a policy in many years. If you are saying that there is no small print in insurance policies any more, then fair enough, that is the case, but what about all the legal jargon? You don't mention that, has that been done away with also? You would need a law degree to understand that.

Then there is the small box to tick that states you have read and understood the 

" Terms & Conditions " . Talk about reading War & Peace . I have been put off signing agreements because of the Ts & Cs which could be easily used against a claim .

• Love It 1

39 minutes ago, NoshowJones said:
59 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

"it is small because they do not want you to notice it".

Stop it, they do not.  Literal small print is a myth these days...unless you can post a verifiable current example of such a thing.

With the exception of car and motorbike insurance I have not looked at a policy in many years.

There you go, then.

• Sad 1

45 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:
12 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

The other alternative of course is ’subsided insurance’....  

"...subsided insurance".

I have thought that was the last thing anyone wanted!

Subsidised by the government who are already making billions from Tourism.

i.e. The Thai Government takes the hit and actually looks after its tourists rather than considering tourists a burden for the 0.034% of tourism income they cost the medical system. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

29 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:
1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:
13 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

The other alternative of course is ’subsided insurance’....  

"...subsided insurance".

I have thought that was the last thing anyone wanted!

Subsidised by the government who are already making billions from Tourism.

Yes, I know what "subsidised" means.    My exceedingly humourous comment was to your post referencing "subsided" insurance!  Who wants a policy from a collapsing insurer?

Edited by Liverpool Lou

1 hour ago, NoshowJones said:

I stated in a previous post that in the UK at least, insurers are having to make their policies for consumers simple and easy to understand. Certain clauses are difficult to draft without a certain amount of legalese but these are usually the more legal orientated clauses anyway, such as the privacy and arbitration clauses.  You should find the coverage quite simple to understand and if it's too complicated, you can make a complaint.......assuming you can understand the Complaints Clause!

Other countries, including Australia, are also simplifying their policies. The major exception is the USA, where I'm sure they keep their policies deliberately complicated in order to keep the lawyers in work!

Edited by madmitch
  • Thumbs Up 2

24 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Are you saying the insurance industry has become cleaner, more honest and now has more integrity than it did 15 years ago? How do you figure? Are you basing that on anything specific, or some studies? I think, if anything they have gotten worse. Like most corporations. 

Insurance regulation today is tougher than it has ever been, and that's on a worldwide basis.

• Thanks 1

On 4/10/2023 at 4:47 AM, harleyclarkey said:

What we see here is mostly scooter/motorcycle accidents. A recent go fund me for £200,000 - really??? ????

Stupid to rent a bike anywhere in the world without at least a helmet. 

Stupid of any country to allow bikes to be rented without providing a helmet.

Stupid of any police force not to fine idiots with no helmet. 

Ppl shouldn't need a nanny (cop) to tell them to wear a helmet. Want to place one at every corner?

Yesterday a friend in UK had his 1100cc moto stolen from his driveway (he calculated it must have been taken between 22.00 and 0.00). He normally always parks it in his secure, brick built garage which is alongside his house. Unfortunately, he was doing DIY and didn't have the space. He has comprehensive cover but when taking out his policy stated he keeps it in his locked garage overnight. I understand his insurance company have advised him that as the bike was stolen within one quarter mile of his home under the terms of his policy it isn't covered. Anyone similar experience?    

17 hours ago, dirtybirty said:

Props is most UK insurances only cover if you have UK license (even having a Thai 1 doesn't cut it with UK insurance,I ask several companies) a lot do not haves licences for motorbike and as stated in original post UK licence does not cover you under Thai law

Assuming one is a UK resident planning to ride a bike or drive a car when a tourist, it's reasonable to assume that one HAS a UK licence.

Given that, it's sensible, possibly even essential, to get an IDP, which, as I said earlier is very easy and cheap in the UK. Driving abroad

That definitely covers you for your stay in Thailand, as long as you are a genuine tourist, which is the subject of this thread.

• Thanks 1

Curious to know if any cover is void if smoking cannabis, any changes since it was legalized?

Similarly alcohol it seems can make some claims void like losing a passport whilst drunk.  To be clear, I am not talking illegal activities like drunk driving.

Given a lot of holiday makers are under the influence about half their trip is that like not having insurance?

Anyone with recent insurance could check small print on this.

Edited by Bangel72
  • Love It 1
  • Haha 1

its easy money for insurance cos as many people never claim a penny 

over my lifetime of tours i have never claimed on my holiday insurance 

they get used to never paying out and want it like that

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, 3NUMBAS said:

Very true! Not that long ago my European travel insurance was only £26 per annum. Although we were covered by our E111 (now EHIC) for emergency treatment in EU it made sense at that price to cover other medical treatment too. Excluded luggage as I could always afford to replace my T shirts, shorts and canvas bag!

36 minutes ago, Bangel72 said:

oooohhh.... you’re walking a thin line there....  Someone is very soon going to nit-pick that technicality and give you a slap on the wrist... don't you know the ‘small print’ is no longer small print... its pages and pages of difficult to follow, circular and inter-referenced notes and subclauses which if we don’t fully comprehend its our own fault !!!!... 

40 minutes ago, Bangel72 said:

Curious to know if any cover is void if smoking cannabis, any changes since it was legalized?

Similarly alcohol it seems can make some claims void like losing a passport whilst drunk.  To be clear, I am not talking illegal activities like drunk driving.

Given a lot of holiday makers are under the influence about half their trip is that like not having insurance?

It seems the poorer insurers are deliberately vague about this point. 

Meanwhile, some of the ‘better’ insurance companies provide some clarification on this which states something along the lines of... ‘we do not expect you to avoid alcohol, but we will not cover claims arising from you having drunk so much alcohol that your judgement is seriously impacted’...  that leaves wiggle room IMO...    You could walk down the steps and slip and break your ankle while sober, or after 3 beers. Was your judgement impacted by the 3 beers leading to your slip ???

Other insurers add that ‘if under the opinion of the treating doctor, excessive alcohol has caused the injury...’.

While some insurers provide a BAC limit *(of around  150mg per 100ml - which is approximately 3x the legal drive limit... or about 4-5 pints of beer.

• Thanks 2

19 hours ago, ukrules said:

That's not good enough, if you were to get run over crossing the road you would be in the same situation.

I’m assuming you’re saying that FCO should be telling people to read their insurance policies to make sure they’re covered (& When they’re finished, maybe they could teach their grandmas to suck eggs). 

Book flights in Thailand, Insurance 99baht… Of course that covers me for everything that will happen… Whoops I’m not insured for falling off my bike whilst not wearing a helmet & with no license to ride it!  - Damn those Insurance Companies ????

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Bangel72 said:

Good question.

Richard_Smith has quoted a few insurers regarding the alcohol issue and they will vary. NB note the simplistic language used in the first clause he mentioned. This is what we can expect to see on these policies; minimal legal jargon. Anyway, each insurer will have its own wording and it is up to the purchaser to read this.

Cannabis is an interesting one. I've not yet seen cannabis specifically mentioned in insurance policies but it should be considered as a drug whether legal or not in either the home country or the country visited. Drinking or riding under the influence is illegal and insurers will decline claims if there's an accident where the insured has been using it.

I'd like to see this issue of legality of certain drugs addressed more clearly in policies in order to avoid ambiguity.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Are you saying the insurance industry has become cleaner, more honest and now has more integrity than it did 15 years ago? How do you figure? Are you basing that on anything specific, or some studies? I think, if anything they have gotten worse. 

"Are you basing that on anything specific, or some studies? I think, if anything they have gotten worse". 

Are you basing that on anything specific, or some studies?!

3 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

"Are you basing that on anything specific, or some studies? I think, if anything they have gotten worse". 

Are you basing that on anything specific, or some studies?!

Sealioning again....run out of any argument?

22 hours ago, 3NUMBAS said:

its easy money for insurance cos as many people never claim a penny 

they get used to never paying out and want it like that

Ummmmm you realise that is how insurance works?

Just read up on Lloyd's, it will all become clear. Its a financial product just like any other

Edited by kwilco
  • Confused 1

On 4/9/2023 at 10:54 PM, scubascuba3 said:

Article is just wrong, easy to get enough travel insurance incl repatriation. Ensure risky activities are included and if riding a motorbike are legal

I can't find the part of the article that says that it is not "easy to get enough travel insurance incl repatriation"

Travel Insurance is pretty much rubbish....Slipped in the shower in Kata recently and dislocated my collarbone insurance would not cover the operation to fix it would only pay for the flight home....So much for unlimited emergency medical....???? So let it heal up and enjoyed the rest of my trip.....<deleted> CoverLess Insurance.

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, condo62 said:

Travel Insurance is pretty much rubbish....Slipped in the shower in Kata recently and dislocated my collarbone insurance would not cover the operation to fix it would only pay for the flight home....So much for unlimited emergency medical....???? So let it heal up and enjoyed the rest of my trip.....<deleted> CoverLess Insurance.

Incredible! Did they say why injury caused by slipping in the shower in your hotel wasn't covered?