As President Biden considers 2024 run, Americans weigh in on whether he should

Social Media

17 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

The Democratic Party platform mentions no restrictions on abortion whatsoever, which is an extreme position when compared with where the public at large sits.

https://democrats.org/where-we-stand/party-platform/achieving-universal-affordable-quality-health-care/

Can you show us where the platform supports abortion without restrictions? Ya think you can fool us with just a link? 

The only thing I saw that references abortion is this:

"We will repeal the Title X domestic gag rule and restore federal funding for Planned Parenthood, which provides vital preventive and reproductive health care for millions of people, especially low-income people, and people of color, and LGBTQ+ people, including in underserved areas."

https://democrats.org/where-we-stand/party-platform/achieving-universal-affordable-quality-health-care/

But I guess you support the gag rule on abortions imposed by the Trump administration.

• Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Can you show us where the platform supports abortion without restrictions? Ya think you can fool us with just a link? 

The only thing I saw that references abortion is this:

"We will repeal the Title X domestic gag rule and restore federal funding for Planned Parenthood, which provides vital preventive and reproductive health care for millions of people, especially low-income people, and people of color, and LGBTQ+ people, including in underserved areas."

But I guess you support the gag rule on abortions imposed by the Trump administration.

Getting a bit side tracked, but no I do not support the gag rule or the restrictions on abortion drugs. I am moderate, like most people, up to 15 weeks is enough I think.  Democratic politicians are unable to say with clarity their position. For example, "I do not support 3rd trimester abortions except when the woman's life is at risk". They fall back on vague generalities and platitudes. 

As for the platform, it says, "We believe unequivocally, like the majority of Americans, that every woman should be able to access high-quality reproductive health care services, including safe and legal abortion."

Vague.

Edited by Hanaguma

2 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

Getting a bit side tracked, but no I do not support the gag rule or the restrictions on abortion drugs. I am moderate, like most people, up to 15 weeks is enough I think.  Democratic politicians are unable to say with clarity their position. For example, "I do not support 3rd trimester abortions except when the woman's life is at risk". They fall back on vague generalities and platitudes. 

As for the platform, it says, "We believe unequivocally, like the majority of Americans, that every woman should be able to access high-quality reproductive health care services, including safe and legal abortion."

Vague.

Nothing vague in what dem states say, take for example Calaforina:

The right to abortion care is absolute in the state under two conditions. These are when:

the fetus is not yet viable, or

the procedure is necessary to protect the life or health of the mother

https://www.shouselaw.com/ca/defense/laws/abortion-laws/

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Bkk Brian said:

Nothing vague in what dem states say, take for example Calaforina:

The right to abortion care is absolute in the state under two conditions. These are when:

the fetus is not yet viable, or

the procedure is necessary to protect the life or health of the mother

https://www.shouselaw.com/ca/defense/laws/abortion-laws/

In other words, abortion up to birth. A radical position. 

1 minute ago, Hanaguma said:

More nonsense from you. Not a radical position if the life of the mother or her health is severely threatened. Apparently, you believe that there are doctors out there willing to perform abortions on a perfectly healthy fetus and mother at 29 weeks. You got any evidence to support that?

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I've yet to see any demonstrator for the right to dispose of the unborn foetus as if it were a malignant tumour with a sign including "in the first trimester".

Whatever happened to contraception? It's like the pill was never invented.

And some women are never given the option of the pill.

2 hours ago, vandeventer said:

To be honest I don't think Biden will finish the remaining 2 years in front of him, unless he goes into the cellar again.

If he does it'll just be to check if Trump is still hiding there. Trump went there when somebody jumped the fence once.

• Confused 2

17 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

Whats radical about that, here's what you even said:

"I do not support 3rd trimester abortions except when the woman's life is at risk"

Which is the exact same position of California and many states. The majority of the US population is also in agreement. 61%

• Thumbs Up 1

22 hours ago, ozimoron said:

I guess you don;t know anything at all about Biden personally. He has had a lifelong speech impediment. This repeated personal slur seems to be a feature of the right even thought most do know about it. Trump set the scene by mocking a disabled reporter and now you guys all think it's fair play.

I saw that interview - it wasn't a speech impediment moment, his cheese is sliding off his cracker.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, stevenl said:

Please don't quote me if you don't respond to the comment made 

I was responding to the reply to another poster, but I don't know how to include both posts.

I thought his position was quite clear and no further information required, so I was just supporting his reply to you.

10 hours ago, Hanaguma said:

I'm boggled that a certain segment of the population has been able to make pregnancy a health issue, when it's a completely normal event in most women's lives. IMO it only becomes a "health issue" when  the foetus presents a threat to the woman's health or life, or the foetus is defective.

For the vast majority of pregnancies neither the mother nor the foetus present any "health" problems beyond morning sickness and perhaps some incontinence.

I'm even more boggled that that segment of society has been able to make a viable foetus a threat to a woman's health.

I've cared for pregnant/ post partum women in hospital and been present at many births, and none of the mothers thought they were threatened by the unborn child. Indeed, most seemed quite happy to be pregnant.

• Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I'm boggled that a certain segment of the population has been able to make pregnancy a health issue, when it's a completely normal event in most women's lives. IMO it only becomes a "health issue" when  the foetus presents a threat to the woman's health or life, or the foetus is defective.

For the vast majority of pregnancies neither the mother nor the foetus present any "health" problems beyond morning sickness and perhaps some incontinence.

I'm even more boggled that that segment of society has been able to make a viable foetus a threat to a woman's health.

I've cared for pregnant/ post partum women in hospital and been present at many births, and none of the mothers thought they were threatened by the unborn child. Indeed, most seemed quite happy to be pregnant.

"The risk any person accepts in continuing a pregnancy to term exceeds that of an early safe abortion by literally an order of magnitude."  https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/pregnancy-is-far-more-dangerous-to-women-than-abortion/

"The pregnancy-associated mortality rate among women who delivered live neonates was 8.8 deaths per 100,000 live births. The mortality rate related to induced abortion was 0.6 deaths per 100,000 abortions."  https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/22270271/

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

If the only justification for abortion was health issues, you might have a point. But since that isn't the case, you don't.

• Thumbs Up 2

14 hours ago, HappyExpat57 said:

Every presidential election cycle I ask myself, "Is this really the best their money can buy?"

You have to ask ... what intelligent person would actually want the job.   Anyone qualified certainly wouldn't want the pay cut, and harassments that comes with it.

Along with the end of all privacy for yourself & family members.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, KhunLA said:

You have to ask ... what intelligent person would actually want the job.   Anyone qualified certainly wouldn't want the pay cut, and harassments that comes with it.

Along with the end of all privacy for yourself & family members.

As I have been saying for ages.

IMO it's why we are led by "unsuitable" people now, as no "sane" person or one that loves their family would accept the media attention as it is now.

• Like 1
  • Love It 1